Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 124 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 124
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Sorry I'm late, everyone! There was an issue with a growth potion that needed some help being resolved. Tonight we'll be reviewing some of what we've been going over so far.

*walks in*
I'm sorry. Did I hear growth potion?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Roses everywhere. I wore out my best pair of pruning shears.

Oh so that's why petals were everywhere.

*Walks in* Hey, why are there so many giant roses everywhere?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Long story. Let's review!

Okey dokey! How did those midterms go?

I'm somewhat curious as well as to how the midterms were received.

I'm just going to guess we'll find out eventually.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

By and large I was pleased with your midterms. Those of you who submitted them showed excellent thought processes and a core of moral character that is certainly admirable. In addition, I was pleased with the alternative thought processes you showed, which will certainly come in handy later on in your training. In addition, many of you showed strong tendencies towards one class of magic user or another.

So easier sorting down the road then?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Indeed. Now, this will be a simple review class, and then we will continue with the Mentalist Disciplines one Wednesday. Does anyone here have questions about the scenarios presented on the midterm? Why certain ones were included, or why some possible questions were left out?

Achoo! Apologies. The roses. Allergies. Carry on.

I realize that this may have been my own thinking but for those scenarios, were we supposed to disregard any sort of magic as possible answers? Also why the love/hate scenarios?

I'm actually more interested to see what people's responses were. In an anonymous manner anyway to protect the person answering.

I'll second that without revealing who's who.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

While not specifically denied, we do prefer non-magical answers. As for the scenarios on love and hate, they are specifically designed to gauge your aptitude for the Empathic Disciplines.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Without permission, the answers are kept in confidence. They are of a personal nature, after all.

Well then...hmmm

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We have a good spread of individuals in this class. I got at least one with tendencies towards being a Mage, one for Paladin status, and one Clerics with little issue. And a potential Mentalist, though we'll come to that later.

One possible question I was a bit surprised I didn't see was what music the person would choose as their theme/ felt represented them. It may not seem like it, but music and our choice in it can be telling about our personalities.

Ah, nice balance indeed.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

That question is unfairly biased towards Empaths. These hypotheticals are supposed to be as neutral as possible.

Alright, I can understand those reasons.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, let's move into a review of what we have learned to this point. Can either of you summarize the difference between Binding and Breaking Magic?

As much as I would like to, I'm not taking any potshots there towards myself. Bring up that music would be unfairly biased towards Empaths, wouldn't the question about death have been biased towards certain paladin orders?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

There come times in each School where you may have to put your life on the line. Paladins tend to end up in those situations most often, but there will likely come a time when you'll have to weigh your life against something else, regardless of your preferred School.

I'm not going to be able to make it today. I'll read the transcript in the morning.

Binding magic is mainly used for protecting and contain a myriad of things and Breaking destroys both actual items and ideas.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Of course! See you next time, perhaps.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct. Which two classes use Empathic Magic?

Clerics and Mentalists

The Cleric and the Mentalist.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct. Which one of them uses Breaking Magic?

The Mentalist does.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

So, using the train of logic we've been following, if Breaking Magic destroys things, and Empathic Magic is used in regards to the mind, what is the purpose of the Mentalist?

Destroy mental barriers and resistance towards empathic assaults or to render aid to clerics when dealing with problematic mental patients, or to help in interrogations.

Breaking magic isn't entirely destructive. and Binding magic doesn't always have to be entirely protective/restorative. They're more about entropy and order respectively. Breaking magic can be used to release the mind of certain afflictions or disorders.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And this is where you set yourselves apart from others. Most would follow that train of thought to the idea of Mentalists being the ones who destroy minds. That's completely true, of course, but it's for a good reason. Which is why we are reviewing everything we've learned, so that when we approach Mentalism, we can appreciate it for what it is. Dangerous, like all magic, but useful.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Let's review Paladins. Give me a brief summary of what Paladins do and the sort of magic they use.

So, are you saying that, by the nature of breaking magic, Mentalists can't use their abilities to help others?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not at all! Mentalism can be very beneficial under the right conditions. It is, however, a very dangerous Discipline, especially around less experienced magic users who lack discipline and control.

Paladins are protectors and guardians. They use their upstanding character to best judge situations and aid society. They use binding magic to accomplish that goal.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Good. Name three types of Paladin.

Paladins use Logic and Binding magic to construct barriers and other defenses to shield themselves and others from harm. They also are able to lift curses and hexes from items and areas. They craft armor, weapons, and physical defensive structures while also providing defensive patrols in problematic areas.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 124