Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 176 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 176

What is that second rune on the first row?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

If it brings harm to another who has offered no harm to you, it violates the Fifth Law.

So what is considered an abuse and what's considered a mistake?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the First. The border between Life and Death is forever shut. Attempts to manipulate it will result in death.

This Law explicitly forbids necromancy and ectomancy for any reason. It is known that the soul can linger in the body for a short while, so the bodies of gravely injured individuals may still be repaired even if they appear dead. But if their soul has crossed that border, you are forbidden to retrieve it.

You are also forbidden to provide the bodies of the dead with an animating force of any kind. Calling spirits from beyond to reanimate corpses, or to attempt to convert yourself into a lich or similar will result in a brutal death.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It rests on the discretion of the team sent to appraise you and gently inform you of the Laws. There is a reason they are comprised of outstanding spellcasters of great moral character, as they can literally hold the lives of innocents in their grasp.

One does not have to use it on other creatures...

I think this whole invisibility bomb is a great idea. Any ideas on how we could read up on it?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Very well, your homework for the week, due on Monday. And this goes for all of you. Use the runes you have been given and the resources to go along with them in order to create a spell or cantrip of your very own. No length limit, but I will be examining your work to see where you might be best suited to end up at the end of the course!

What about the other Laws? Or is that for another class?

Could you separate Equestrian, High Equestrian, and Runic into their own albums like you did with the first one?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Second runs similarly to the First. There shall be no compact formed with demons or their familiars.

There are a few notable exceptions to this rule. The Library in the Regia is said to contain a number of demons, and several more or less benevolent ones roam the Everfree Forest unhindered. But these are the exceptions that prove the rule. Their magic, while powerful, is very dark in nature, far closer to Chaos than anything we work with. Spellcasters who use demonic powers or demons themselves, whether as familiars or a source of magic, begin to change, and never for the better. We call them sorcerers.

Regardless of your original intentions, no matter how noble, the use of demons will always result in increased aggression, lowered empathy, a lust for more power, and if left unchecked for too long, madness.

Is it only demons and their familiars that can change a caster or can other beings/familiars do that as well?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

That falls into the advanced classes for Paladins, but yes there are a few others. The thing about mental magic is that, in the end, it is you who decides to let them in.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Third is simple. Magic shall not be used to circumvent the laws of the land.

This does not apply to small things like robberies or fixing card games. The Third Law is more concerned with things like murder, impersonation, kidnapping, that sort of thing. We are meant to guide the ones who cannot use magic, and help to improve their lives to the betterment of all. Any spoils earned should be the result of hard work.

About that. How do we string these runes together to form a spell?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Fourth. Magic shall not be used to dominate the minds of others.

Creating or possessing a thrall for any purpose is considered a violation of this rule, and this is the only case in which Magekillers are allowed to execute those who do not wield magic of their own. To invade the mind of another without permission is akin to rape, a crime that is not only potentially damaging to the body, but also damaging to the mind and soul. Those who condone it are considered to be little better.

Enthrallment goes one step beyond simple mind control. It is the systematic destruction of an individual's free will and personality, leaving them little more than a hollow, obedient shell of their former selves. This crime is looked upon with special hatred in the Evening Kingdom, for good reason. The last thrallmaker who was caught by authorities there was personally executed by Lady Everstar herself. It lasted for a full day and night.

Upon the death of the entraller is the enthralled free will returned?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Use your imagination. For example, I would put a simple shield into place by writing the runes for Preservation, steadfastness, Containment, and maybe dispelation in that order, and preface it with the rune for Power or Spirit, depending on whether or not I wanted a physical or spiritual shield.

Have you ever played Magicka? Well, it's like that.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Fifth. Save to protect the innocent, magic will not be used to shed the blood of others.

Again, straightforward. unless they are offering you violence, you will never use magic to strike down another. You can disable them, remove them from the area, anything nonlethal in nature. But should they die as a result of your actions and they have not assaulted you, you are held responsible.

Oh okay then. Did some pretty crazy things back in that game. Including electrocuting myself while wet.

I used to work with friends when there was no monsters around to deflect beams off of a series of shields and cross my beam with itself at an angle that causes it to merge instead of blowing up. It was pretty cool.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Sixth. Magic may not be used to move against time.

This Law has never been broken, because we are unable to use magic to manipulate time in any significant way. The only one possessing true precognition is Lady Everstar herself, and there has not been a way revealed to travel back in time as of yet.

Not for lack of trying. Just last year, a sorcerer in the deserts to the south attempted to send himself back to the evening of the Celestial Wars and turn the tide in favor of Luna. He harnessed the power of ten thousand demons overnight, attempted to use their power to open a portal to the past, and promptly blew himself sky-high, as well as about a mile of earth in every direction.

So correct me if I'm wrong. The modifiers are to determine whether Major or Minor is used, link previous commands, or link runes that would otherwise repel each other.

1263476>>1263481I've always loved the idea that magic is a set of pieces that you puzzle together to form spells.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And can anyone tell me the Seventh Law? The one for which the Magekillers were formed?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct! Though that last bit would be more like modify each other. Contradicting runes are extremely difficult to work with at the best of times.

Attempting to create an alicorn?

Oooh! That's a good one!

I understand that 'a', 'e', and 'o' do those things. What about 'i' and 'u'? What do those do?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We use those to modify runes, like the modification that turns the Cold rune into a water rune.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Law the Seventh. Thou shalt not use magic to seek the Shadow.

Every attempt to locate the Shadow using magic has ended in disaster and tragedy. It consumes the minds of every spellcaster that tries, draining them of magic and leaving them little more than a husk. Any compilations of knowledge, any groups formed with the express purpose to find out more about the Shadow, anything of this sort is forbidden.

We pride ourselves on our knowledge. But this is something we do not allow, simply because of what it turns you into. The Shadow will not just kill you. It leaves something behind after it is done feeding, something far worse than a sorcerer or a lich, something that rots and festers in the corpse. We call them Banes, and you should pray you never see one.

Anything specific? I'm worried I might write something and have it do something unintended.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Stick to "a", "e", and "i", and you'll be fine. You'll learn more about those other two in your classes later on.

Apparently they still have yet to catch the Shadow. I think I know what era the next title in the Sunfall trilogy is taking place.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, homework for the next week! I want you to find a way to sketch out a spell using these runes. Use a tablet, use Paint, take a photo and upload it if you have to. Get creative, and show me something impressive! I'm really excited to see what you all come up with.

Three more questions, and we'll call it a night!

Does that mean no more Twilight? Or does she stick around until the shadow is done in?

I think she's now known as Lady Everstar.

Do you want us to tell you what the purpose of the spell is?

To the readers she will always be Twilight. I think. Do any of us suffer short term memory loss?

1263587>>1263589 Anyone else noticed how I called #7 had something to do with the Shadow?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Please. I would like to know your intentions for the spell, so I can see how you think and perhaps offer some tips on how to make it more efficient.

You super smart now. Stole our grammar that how smart.

If that's the case, then who the hell is Lady Everstar?

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 176