Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 176 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 176
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Please be in place in one hour! We have a lot to cover tonight, and this is a class of great importance! First real taste of magic tonight, with magical runic!

I'm here. Sorry for disappearing early on Monday. I had to go watch a movie with my family.

that sounds like fun what did you see?

Well, technically it was an hour long episode. It was last weeks episode of under the dome.

I'm here and as usual for me nowadays multitasking way too much.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Good evening! Ready to work with exploding letters?

Do we get something approaching some kind of protection for this lesson?

1262493 If you're so in love with things like being safe and keeping all your hooves, why do you even study magical volatile exploding calligraphy?

Maybe he already lost all his hooves.

Hey, Isador, how many hooves do you still have?

Let me count. 1, 2, 3, 4... 5. Hmm... That's not right. Let me go clean my glasses.

I counted eight. We might be dealing with Sleipnir here.

That could be a problem.

I still have all of mine and I'd like to keep it that way. That desire sometimes conflicts though with a love making things go boom or other 'go _______'.

*sneaks in, sits in back*

Sorry, I can't actually be here tonight - I have company. Sorry! I'll review the class later and do any homework, I promise.

I'll go get the mighty hammer Mjölnir.

*Walks in and sits down at his desk*
I assume that everyone had a hint of what was gonna happen at the end of the Everfree Rebellion?

Maybe he has fleas. Would a fine tooth comb help?

Only if you want to take the gentle approach. My vote is still for thunder hammer.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Very well! Let us begin tonight's lesson, the introduction to magical runes and their proper use. By the end of class tonight, our aim is to have you prepared to write and cast simple invocations of your own! Now, who here can tell me the difference between Planar and Aetherial magic?

Yeah, I figured that Twilight and Tarantella had to live through it in some manner or other. I did my homework lol.

Aetherial magic is the magic of creation. Planar magic is the magic that already exists in the world after it was made?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Essentially, yes. Runes are like small portals into the Aether, and draw their magic from the magic inside. This means that spells cast with runes do not tax the energy of the physical world. Can someone tell me where that energy comes from?

The sort of "well of eternity" of magic from which all things that exist had to have sprung?

Us homework do didderers get a little bonus. I guess that's enough incentive.

I honestly wasn't surprised that Celestia was allowed to live. She'll probably get scorned later, but all evidence suggests that she's still alive and kicking in the Modern Era.

What happens if you don't have a horn, sir?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No. The energy used in Planar magic comes from within the spellcaster. You use your own energy to bend reality every time you cast a spell. Runes circumvent this. Can anyone tell me, then, why runes are not used exclusively?

Oooh! Do you get a bunch of untapped magic or is it exuded in more passive effects?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

That is a topic for another lesson, but the general consensus is that magic will flow through you, regardless of of whether or not you can actively channel it. The two most prominent examples are Earth pony magic, which flows from the earth into them and vice versa, and the magic inherent in the wings of Pegasi.

Yay! Another person who agrees that pegasi use magic to fly!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct. Runes are tricky to get right, and disastrous to get wrong. Not only this, they tend to channel the magic of the Aether without warning, which means that after a magical "phrase", the entire page must be sealed with the caster's own magic. The greater the spell, the more magic needed to contain it.

So what if a spell is made up of bunch of tiny spells? Do you have to seal each on individually or just work in the conditions and then seal as a whole? Also, do paladins get tons of work in this?

OH for a second I thought we were still talking about Aether magic. Runes sound dangerous and unstable if you aren't entirely sure what you're doing with them.

This is kind of a common thing in the fandom.

Shhh... I can remain oblivious. Your comment is already gone from my mind.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

All four Schools use runes, but the two most prominent users of magic are Paladins and Mages. Paladins use them in seals, and Mages use them in self-sustaining enchantments. There are other uses, but those are the main two.
Correct. Most novice students sustain their first injuries working with either runes or crystals.

1262799 Alright, do we need special enchanted ink and paper to make magical runes, or will ordinary stuff suffice?

How would you enchant paper if you can't use runes to enchant paper?

Recursively defined enchanted enchanting paper that makes more enchanted paper. Checkmate.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Excellent question. This is what makes runes so dangerous. They can be carved, written, or sculpted with any material, so long as they are made by a magic-user with the knowledge to use them. Certain runes tend to respond better to certain materials. For example, the runes for destructive purposes tend to function better when engraved in a metal, whereas preservation runes do well on paper or wood. And of course, the proper application of will is what separates magic users from any common fellow with a knowledge of the alphabet. And this is why magic users are the only ones able to actually use the runes.

So planar magic will-powered magical letters that make (potentially unstable) editedmagical energy portals into the aether. Sounds safe.

So then clerics and mentalists use crystals more? And is it possible to combine crystals and runes?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No one ever said spellcraft was a particularly safe vocation. But it is rewarding and enjoyable work.

*realizes that this is the second week of term*
No midterm next week, no midterm next week, no midterm next week.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 176