Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 176 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 176

Didn't quite catch all of that.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Most magical circles and seals utilize crystals and runes. The difference between runes and crystals is a simple one. Runes are used to provide focus for a spellcaster, so they can focus on providing power without holding the spell in their mind. The harness the primal forces of Creation to do this. Crystals have the opposite effect. They store energy for later use, like an extra reservoir of energy that the user can then shape with their will and provide a focus for without draining themselves.

HOW DID YOU BECOME THE OLD ELEMENT OF GENEROSITY?!?!?!!?

Of course. Always happens.
*slinks further into seat*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, just as there are twenty runes in the Eqquish alphabet, so too are there twenty magical runes. These runes are fixed points, meaning that they are represented here in their purest forms. Over time, you will learn how to properly modify these runes to gain different results. For example, mages will learn how to use the rune "Muretirek", which governs cold and entropy, and turn it into a rune that generates water. But that is higher level runology.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

An old recording of a play about the Elements, before the war.

I'm just waiting to try on the sorting hat to see which class of magic user it thinks I would be.

You fool. Do you have any idea what this means?

Everyone goes into house Slytherin.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, let us begin with the first rune, which governs Power and invocation. Each rune has a major and minor facet, meaning that it can govern two different but related things. The minor power is written in gray.

Comment posted by Kinzo Does Not Exist deleted Jul 10th, 2013

No, there's gonna be a test now. Aughghhghghghgh

That the bane of all students is to come upon us.

How do you specify the major or minor facet?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

One of our historians gave a lecture on the subject a while back. The transcript can be found here.

*peeks in door and realises class has started*

*sneaks in*

So which one is being used is determined by a previous rune?

What's this about a test?

I just had to think about it. :ajsleepy:

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The third rune on the first line is being augmented by the fourth. That little rune in the middle is your modifier, and it can go both ways, depending on the original intentions of the caster.

So, it's largely based on the intent of the caster. How do spells ever get taught then?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

A combination of practice and imagination. Besides, there is only so much you can do with a rune. If you took the third rune and set it against Xemalora, they would cancel each other out spectacularly, because Xemalora is the rune of preservation.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Attention in the back! I'm sure whatever you're whispering about is important, but I want to make sure that you are learning what I am taking the time to teach you.

Maybe the teacher doesn't intend for the spell to go off, so it doesn't?

*is in the middle row*
Yes, sir.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Spectacularly. Last week, Professor Vellum's apprentice blew a hole in the side of his office because the idiot tried to combine the runes for Truth and Concealment. We that the poor lad dead and vaporized until we realized that he had just blown himself invisible.

A spell that can blow things invisible seems rather... Useful.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Well, it also shattered bones in his arms, cracked his ribs, and fractured his collarbone. And knocked him unconscious, which goes without saying. We only found him because he woke up and started groaning.

Oh. Um... I suppose I shouldn't try that then.

If one shielded oneself before hand...

This gives me several amazing ideas

So why didn't the two runes just fully cancel each other out? Why did the concealment rune work?

*Trying not to laugh*

Wouldn't that block out the spell too?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Probably not, but it does bring me to my next homework assignment, and the second part of my lecture. Originally, I was going to teach you about circles, but I think this is more important by far. Have you ever heard the phrase "Mages do as they do and watch as they watch?"

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We think that was the one he was originally going to establish as the dominant rune. It was difficult to tell, as the parchment was completely lost, and the apprentice has a concussion. Doesn't remember what he had for breakfast that morning.

But consider the other things around it that would be affected...

Never heard of the saying but it sounds like mages just do whatever they want, don't count on them.

I never remember what I have for breakfast.

Exactly!

The things affected by it would turn invisible.

An excellent weapon/tool/party trick.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It's the complete opposite, actually. The potential for abuse of magic is very high, and we who use it can do great harm to others if we're careless or unscrupulous enough. This is why both the Celestial Monarchy and the Evening Kingdom have created their own Magekillers. These individuals consist of experienced magic users who scry for the possible abuse of magic in the realm, and when it is found, a team is dispatched. You receive exactly one warning.

And then, should you continue to violate the Law of The Craft, you will be tracked down, tried by a jury of Magekillers, and executed on the spot. So today, we are also going to cover the Rules of The Craft.

We police our own, and a violation by one of our number is considered an affront to all who practice the Art.

One warning? Execution? Meep.

So how severe is small scale invisibility bombs?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comes to mind...

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 176