Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 146 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 146

What are the major binding orders?

*is completely clueless of who these people are*

So they form a sort of magical police force, attempting to hold the more unsavory types of magic at bay?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

There are many different orders of Binders, though the most prominent would be the Daughters of Celestia, the Free Rangers, and the Circle of Steel.

*has no idea either*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We're in the future, my friend. Just roll with it.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Paladins are the most visible of the Schools of Magic, save for perhaps the Mages. They are numerous, well-organized, and they often hold lands and titles of their own, won through feats of valor. Their main center for training, however, is the Collegia Tactica, located on the outskirts of Trottingham.

So where do the clerics fit in?

I would recommend italics for non RP stuff. Brackets or parentheses if you prefer otherwise.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Cleric's Discipline contains many separate fields of study, and while they may appear extremely similar at a glance, the fact of the matter is that each School deals with a different facet of the same goal, which is to use emotional magic beneficially and for the healing of others. For this we turn to the role of the Psychomancer, or as they are more kindly and colloquially known, the Dreamwalker. This term arises from the preferred method of treatment, which involves placing the subject in a healing sleep beforehand, in order to bring the subconscious mind forward. Note that this is done to avoid discomfort, as many patients would find the experience of two souls in one body to be extremely disconcerting. If it was deemed necessary, the Psychomancer could skip that step and enter the subject's mind without preamble, provided they had consent.

Those studying Psychomancy for the benefit of others are very carefully selected, and oftentimes they live solitary lives of asceticism and simple comforts. The teaching of Psychomancers, unlike that of Paladins, is a personal experience consisting of a teacher, referred to by the student as "master", and the student, known as an "acolyte". The period of training is almost as long as that of the Paladin before they are trusted to be on their own.

The period lasts for approximately seven years, although a few notable exceptions have managed to complete their training in about five. It is a test of patience and self-control, consisting of very small victories. The student is first instructed in the practice of regulating and rerouting their own emotions towards constructive purposes, often through thought exercises and meditation. Months can go by before the student learns any magic. When they are deemed ready, however, they are shown the spells necessary to read the emotions of others, and how to tell all the nuances and subtleties therein. After they have proven themselves worthy of continuing, the young acolyte will be allowed to manipulate the emotions of something small, such as a rodent or bird of some description.

After they have truly exhibited mastery over the emotional manipulation necessary for this craft, they are instructed in the final level of training, which is entering the mind of others. The traditional master will first perform the spell on their student, both to show their young pupil the power of this magic, and to determine if their motives are completely pure. Those that are not are sent away, never to return. Due to the careful and nurturing environment they grow up in, however, this is a rare case.

The final stage of their training consists of the acolyte entering the minds of more and more complex beasts, starting with ants and worms, and ending with dogs, cats, and other familiar creatures. The last test they face is entering the mind of their master. Guided carefully, if they can fulfill the conditions set for them, which always vary, they are congratulated on the power they now wield, and are sent forth to do good in the world with the blessing of their master, no longer a teacher but a friend and equal.

One of the more curious aspects of the training is the adoption of an animal, referred to as a "familiar" by some students. While engaging in their training, the student may gain an affinity with one of the animals they practice with, and establish a rapport with the beast in question. Indeed, the familiar and acolyte are often similar in disposition and temperament, exhibiting a high degree of emotional compatibility. In order to avoid their young charge forcing the issue, the topic of familiars is rarely brought up, and often the acolyte is left to find their own familiar, if they find one at all.

What are the major cleric schools?

So far every branch of magic seems rather... Solitary. How do mages fit in?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

That would be a topic for another class. We will be covering each of the Schools more in-depth before we are done. This is a brief introduction, of course.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Could any of you tell me which School would be affiliated with each Avatar?

Isn't Princess Luna one of the best Dreamwalkers?

Sun would be paladin

Moon: mentalist?

Dawn would use cleric magic.

That leaves Dusk and magecraft.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Season 2 canon, ignore her dreamwalking ability.

If everything rotates clockwise, as palidins would make the most sense for binding then would it be:
Palidin/Binding, Cleric/Emotional, Mentalist/Breaking, Mage/Thought?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct! As you might have guessed, each School is watched carefully by the four goddesses. They encourage growth in their respective fields, and in rare cases, they will take on personal apprentices.

Well considering Mentalists close temperate link with Clerics it could actually work, also this is the princess we're talking about.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now you're getting it! Does it make more sense now to see why moving towards the center axis would grant more power?

Moving towards the center axis would mean one would achieve the ability to utilize other schools of magic?

Mastery or even partial mastery of other branches would increase your spell grimnore, and thus increase your potential. How common is it to, after mastering a branch to make a beeline for the opposite?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

She does use Mentalism, the term Dreamwalker is simply a polite term to avoid offending the ponies mucking about with your brain.

1203614 Yes because you're using all of the magic not just a portion of it.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Very rare. It often falls to the "quarters" next to yours. Most display a predilection for the one most similar for their Temperament. Mages tend to study Paladins, and Clerics Mentalists.

You know, this is pretty darn close to what I had in mind for the four alicorns in my personal headcanon :rainbowderp:

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct. And as you move in, you can expect a greater life expectancy, but that's for another lesson.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Bada-boom, baby.

I originally had Luna smack dab in the middle and Discord at the end of Chaos, but yours makes more sense.

So with that in mind, has there ever been an attempt to master each of the disciplines from the start of each discipline and not after some mastery has achieved in a single discipline?

Discord's even more of an outcast now. A powerful outcast.

Wait isn't the only reason Discord and his magic aren't on this graph that we can't graph magic past Luna because it gets too chaotic?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right! Time for final statements, as we are almost out of time.

You should now have a basic understanding of the four fields of magic, and their applications. If you have any further questions about a particular School, please send me a private message. You are entirely free to from study groups on this board, and I highly recommend you do so. Collaboration breeds familiarity breeds knowledge!

Homework, due by midnight Eastern Time on the fourth, is a brief summary of the Magical Cross and each of its points, as well as the Schools it outlines. I know we are all writers, but keep it under a thousand words if possible. Minimum of three hundred, sent to collegiaarcana@gmail.com.

I'll take three more questions, and call it a night!

Ahh crap

I have to leave, i'll check this thread later for anymore important information.

EDIT:Note to self refresh thread more often

1203701 Have a nice evening Professor! See everyone soon!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Before the Evening Revolution, the schools were less well organized, most students learning a smattering of all four as they progressed in their studies. It wasn't very efficient, and after Lady Everstar's reforms in the Evening Kingdom, the current systems were set into place.

I have a question. When is the next class?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Ah! Next class is Wednesday Evening! Same time, same place!

So, the homework is due a day after the next class... I guess that makes sense.

*Slight panic attack shows on face and then disappears immediately*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Any further questions?

Nope. I suppose I should head out.

Uh, no sir. *Puts notes away and heads for the door*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Well, then! Have a good night, and don't be afraid to come to me if you have any questions!

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 146