Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 146 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 146
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Welcome! Please find your seats, and we will begin shortly!

Well I think I might be a little early, but no harm in that I suppose.

*Walks in and looks around.*
*Takes a seat in one of the middle rows.*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Welcome to Arcane Studies One! I'm your teacher, Stone Knight, and I'll be leading you through the academical journey ahead of you all. Today is an orientation and greeting class, with a simple homework assignment later on. While we wait for the rest of the class to filter in, let's start by answering any lingering questions you may have about the nature of this class.

Well now that you mention it, what might we be looking at in terms of homework?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The class layout is simple. We will introduce a concept, cover the basics, on occasion provide you with material to supplement the discussion, and you can study as much or as little of it as you wish. Your final placement test is based more on temperament than actual skill, but it is advised that you at least study enough to keep up with the class.

Thank you for answering my question. Another question though, if you don't mind, can we contact you if we have a question about the material after class has concluded for the day or should we wait for the next class to ask the question?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Of course! You are welcome to send questions to me at any time, and I will do my very best to answer them. This class is for your benefit, after all!

Hello! It's good to see you pro. Though I thought the class didn't begin until later this evening.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Oh, dear. In my haste, I seem to have arrived rather...early. Class wasn't to begin until seven, was it? This would explain the distinct lack of students...:twilightoops:

I understand your eagerness!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Well, everyone take a break, then. I'll go and get some dinner, and we'll pick this back up in a few hours.

*zsnkrt* Huh? Wha? *notices everyone else is gone* :rainbowderp:

*Reads chalkboard* So am I still early? Or late? Was I late for being early?

Think we're supposed to come back later dude.

Since I'll probably be on a train when class actually starts, I may as well leave a hello for everyone now.

Writes on the chalkboard

Hey everypony!

Name's Quick Study, and I'd like to apologize.

Why?

Well, for likely being late to every single class. I managed to sneak away from work for a minute to pop in, but I'll need to get back to it soon. My hours are pretty varied so I may or may not be off by the time class starts most days. One of the joys of working R&D. ^_^

Hope to see you all soon!

And back to work with me.

*Walks back into class and sits in the same spot*

*Teleports into class*
*Sits down in first row*

*Walks into class. Sits next to Shyguy.*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right! Now that we're arriving and on time, let's begin! My name is Stone Knight, one of the professors here at the Collegia Arcana. My job is to teach you the very basics of magic, and to help to sort you into one of four classes. At the end of your course of study, we will have successfully sorted you and taught you the very basics you need to support yourself in your chosen magical profession!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right. So, can anyone tell me one of the four classes of magic, and their Celestial alignment?

I'll still claim this as being early considering our teacher never did say exactly when class would be resuming.

Or I'll just slink in quietly...

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Welcome! Question one is on the board above.

Comment posted by Subsolar Drift deleted Jul 1st, 2013
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not quite, though two of the classes use Breaking Magic quite frequently.

Why did you call on me twice? I'm already cracking under the pressure! Shot in the dark time! One class is light/white magic, aligned with the sun?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

You have named one of the opposites of Breaking Magic, known colloquially as Binding Magic. And yes, it is aligned with the Sun.

1202898 I knew I should've reread Lines and Webs and Dusk's Dangerous Game before this all...

Shadow/Darkness aligned with the moon?

Comment posted by Stone Knight deleted Jul 1st, 2013

I thought Binding magic was associated with order?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

This is what is known as the "Magical Cross". Each point is ruled by an Avatar, and each "quarter" represents a class of magic, of which there will be many different disciplines.

Okay, binding and breaking. Sun and moon. The other two have to do with the Dusk and the Dawn, right?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct, and this is what we refer to as the "Temperament" line. Each magical user falls along the line somewhere, ranging fron the Avatar of Dusk's Logical Temperament to the Avatar of Dawn's Empathetic Temperament.

Would Emotion/Emphatic be one of the schools of magic, aligned with the sun?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Temperament Line spans from Dawn to Dusk, and from there we draw the majority of our magic users.

Okay. So the sun and the moon bind and break. The dawn and the dusk are emotion and thought, do they work more toward magical influence than magical power?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

They determine how Binding and Breaking magic are used. For example, those who are chosen as Paladins use Logical Binding magic, and clash quite frequently with Mentalists, who use Empathetic Breaking Magic.

1202990 Taking a guess here. Are we going to be split into the four fields, one for each class?

Thinking of this mathematically, if the x axis is known as the temperament line then would the y axis be known as the heavenly or solar line?

So would that imply that each school of magic has an inherent weakness from its opposite and gains support from adjacent schools?

That's cool. How do we know where we lie along the axis of Temperament and Binding/Breaking?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Bingo! Each of you, depending on which fields you show aptitude in, will be placed in a class of study, there to continue your training in that field. So, study hard for the field you want!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We refer to that line as the Entropy line. The farther away from Binding magic you get, the more Chaotic the magic becomes.

1203023 Will there be a test for our aptitude?

And off your question, is there any crossing then between the schools of magic?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Correct! Clerics are generally unable to attack their targets physically, and prefer to use mental magic to defend themselves, whereas Mages focus on locking others out of their minds while pounding away with magic in combat.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Your studies and aptitude will prove to your instructors which class you are best suited for. Of course, your choice is taken into consideration!:twilightsmile:

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Actually, there is. Many Paladins study magecraft, and vice versa. The fields tend to complement one another very well. Mages and Mentalists get along well, but Clerical magic rarely coincides with the magic of Mages.

What exists at the exact origin of your graphic? What is perfectly balanced between entropy and order, logic and emotion?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 146