The Collab Group 111 members · 90 stories
Comments ( 60 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 60
superpony55
Group Admin

Users: superpony55, ? (Someone may help if they want)

Description: Magic. A simple concept. Strange, but simple.
Flight. A complex concept. Strange, and not simple at all.
I have the first, and I want the latter.
My name is Daydream, and I'm a Unicorn. But a Pegasus at heart.

Daydream has always wanted to fly, but she's a not-so-powerful unicorn. How will she achieve her dream?

superpony55
Group Admin

Magic. A simple concept. Strange, but simple.

Flight. A complex concept. Strange, and not simple at all.

I have the first, and I want the latter.

My name is Daydream, and I'm a Unicorn. But a Pegasus at heart.

This is my story.

"Daydream! Get down here, right now!" my mother yelled.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Alright let's get started. First I have some questions about the story structure:

-Tone: What kind of tone are we going for in this story? SoL commedy? Drama? Sad? What.

-Perspective: First or Third?

-Story Name: Is "Height" really what you want the story to be called or should a more poetic/meaningful name be created?

-Length: Is it going to be multichapter or a one-shot?

-Division of labor and collaboration: We will be working on each chapter equally or ping-ponging the story back and forth each chapter?

-Who is going to host the story once it's written?

(maybe it's not your style. But I prefer to plan things ahead and organize ideas before writing a story :scootangel:)

superpony55
Group Admin

1. We can figure out the tone as we go along. I'm probably shooting for a sad heartfelt adventure story. You?
2. First
3. We'll try to find a better name, but for now, Heights is fine.
4. Multichapter.
5. It depends. I can't really give you credit if I do.

Let's get writing! :twilightsmile:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Don't you think it's a good idea to establish what we want to do with the story before we just jump in? I mean I understand if that's more your style, but with an OC its probably a good idea to think ahead...unless we want to end up with a Mary Sue on our hands...

superpony55
Group Admin

Yeah, I gave you what I was thinking.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Sorry if your getting the impression I might be difficult to work with. I'm kind of a perfectionist. :twilightblush:
That's probably why I haven't posted anything on my own. :facehoof:

Anyway. I think the first thing we need to discuss is the OC this story is going to be about. What does she look like, where does she live, Is Daydream the best name we can give her, why does she want to fly so bad? That sort of thing. The more you flesh out a character, the better you can write them.

F4D3
Group Admin

1055148>>1051598
I can imagine some sort of prologue-type-thing where Daydream just looks up to the sky, envious of all the happy weather ponies, mailmares, etc. She probably was never all that good at magic, and probably got teased for it a lot as a filly. She could have been enrolled in Celestia's school for gifted unicorns( I forgot it's actual name :derpytongue2:), but eventually dropped out because of all the teasing. Perhaps because of this she somehow knows Twilight, like an acquaintance or something.

Comment posted by F4D3 deleted Jun 1st, 2013
superpony55
Group Admin

Good ideas, but rule #1 is no posting in a collab that is not yours!

F4D3
Group Admin

I know I'm sorry but I just couldn't help myself!

superpony55
Group Admin

It's okay, I think I'll change the rules a bit and add a thread for this sort of thing...

superpony55
Group Admin

It's okay, I've made a thread for that sort of thing and changed the rules a bit! :twilightsmile:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

We are still working on this right? There hasn't been a post for a while. You never responded to my above comment asking more about the OC this story is about.

superpony55
Group Admin

Yeah, sorry. :twilightblush:

What does she look like? White curly mane and tail, light blue coat. Thought bubble cutiemark. Where does she live? Canterlot, I kind of like 1055905's idea for that. Is Daydream the best name we can give her? She always daydreams, but if you think of something better, let me know. Why does she want to fly so bad? Her mother and father were both Pegasi, she grew up wanting to fly, always asking to hear stories about flight. Part of the reason she's not so powerful is her parents couldn't help teach her magic. She's always imagined flying as the best thing in the world. She once took a trip to Cloudsdale when she was young, and that perked her interest. She's always wanted to go back.

What do you think? :twilightsmile:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

I think it would be kind of a sad irony if she had a sky or flight related name. (Blue Skies maybe?) Also Derpy already has the bubble cutie mark. We should think of what her special talent is and how she would use it to accomplish her goal of flight.

Also, I believe she needs a deep rooted emotional motivation to accomplish flight. Perhaps she has an older brother who's a pegasus and has to constantly live in his shadow because she can't fly. Maybe she believes that flying is the only thing that will make her parents truly appreciate her. It should be something meaningful. (and it should get those feels flowing)

superpony55
Group Admin

Yeah, her parents wanted a Pegasus. I think that there should be both, an older brother who's a Pegasus and she flying being the only thing that will make her parents appreciate her. (Yes, I copied and pasted that with a few differences. :twilightsmile:) Anyway, maybe she doesn't have her cutiemark yet (because she's never flown before- and flying is her cutiemark! I know, I know, Rainbow Dash, who is flying around my screen right now, has a flying cutiemark- but it's a fast flying cutiemark!) The name thing would be interesting.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

I just remembered that I was in this. Are we still working on this or have you started working on it by yourself :twilightblush:

superpony55
Group Admin

Still working together. So, what do you think? :twilightsmile:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Well, I got a question. Does she ever accomplish her goal and if so how?

superpony55
Group Admin

I think she should in the story. I'm not sure how. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm editing the group a bit, I've got an idea.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

It could some form of mechanical flight (glider, fake wings, etc.)

superpony55
Group Admin

She could give up her horn to fly.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

That kinda sounds like it would be too easy, especially if she isn't that talented in magic already.

superpony55
Group Admin

No, it wouldn't be easy. Maybe there is a secret place she can go to get her heart's desire, but it's a long journey with many dangers. She should bring Scootaloo with her! :scootangel:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Well, I meant it would be too easy of a choice for her to trade her magic for wings. (since flying is her ultimate dream) I thought that most of the conflict would arise from the emotional tension and frustration of her trying to achieve her dream, despite what others think of her. Also, adding Scootaloo with her seems kinda random :rainbowhuh: I mean...how does she know Scootaloo? How do they meet? It's okay for a story to have only OC's in it.

superpony55
Group Admin

It was a joke about Scoots. They both want to fly. I understand, and I agree. Again, any ideas?

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Again, my mind always tends to drift towards the dark and the dramatic. So a way I envisioned it could end is that she finally finishes her flying device (if that's what decided to go with) but was too impatient to test it safely. She starts flying, finally accomplishing her dream, but it starts to malfunction and she's going to crash, but it doesn't matter to her anymore because she was finally able to fly. (but that may be too sad or too dark than what you originally intended. There are so many different directions we can go with this premise it's staggering. What kind of tone or emotional feeling were you looking for with this story?)

superpony55
Group Admin

I want sad but not too dark. :twilightsmile:

Scootaloser
Group Admin

What kind of ending did you want? Happy? Sad? Bittersweet? Etc.

superpony55
Group Admin

Bittersweet or happy ending, sad story.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Did you have any ideas of how you wanted the story to end? (it's always good to come up with the ending first, that way you can focus on how to get there and not write yourself into a corner.)

superpony55
Group Admin

Probably with her flying off into the sunset.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

What length were you thinking for this story? How many chapters? (if you have a guess).

superpony55
Group Admin

All I know is multi-chapter, as it depends on how we write it. Should we post as we write, or after?

Scootaloser
Group Admin

We should probably write a chapter or two in advance and then post the previous one while we edit and cleanup the others. (write chapters 1-3. then post chapter one while we cleanup chapters 2-3.)

superpony55
Group Admin

Good idea! Anything else we need to decide on?

Character Name- ?
How does she end up flying- ?
Cutiemark- ?
Who posts it- ?
Color- Blue?
Mane style- Curly?
Where she lives- Canterlot?
Genre- Sad, Adventure?
Story Name- Heights?
Perspective- First
Length- Multichapter
Family- Big brother (name?), Mom (name?), Dad (name?), (Joke: little sister: :scootangel:)

Here's an idea, her family is in danger, and she gets a power surge where her horn lights up and the power of it pushes her up (like a rocket) and she saves her family. She then learns to unleash just enough power to fly.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Here's what I think so far...

-Character name: (should be sky or flight related, for irony)
-How does she end up flying- (I was thinking she experimented with mechanical means, but its still open)
-Cutiemark- (no idea. Should probably be something flight related for more irony.)
-Who posts it- (you can if you want, but I'd like to look over it and provide feedback before we post)
-Color: Yes, Blue
-Mane: Curly, fine by me
-Where she lives: Well, Canterlot is normally associated with high society ponies so I suppose that's okay if that's going to be her background.
-Genre: Sad, and I was thinking it would probably be more "Slice of life"
-Story Name: I was thinking we could go something more artsy, but Heights is fine I suppose.
-Length: yes, multichapter
-Family:
Dad (Could be a famous flyer [could also be dead to add a sense of "I got to make him proud").
Mother (Should be kind, caring and reluctantly supportive of her daughters dream.)
Brother: (Could also be a famous flyer. He could help her with her attempts to fly, but could also try to keep talking her out of it and telling her move on with her life.)

To be honest, I'm not too fond of that idea.. it doesn't sound like it makes much sense technically speaking and it kinda smells like a Deus Ex Machina.

superpony55
Group Admin

What do you mean?

To be honest, I'm not too fond of that idea.. it doesn't sound like it makes much sense technically speaking and it kinda smells like a Deus Ex Machina.

Scootaloser
Group Admin

Well, I'm not sure how you would explain that type of magical power and it kinda sounds a little silly to me.

Also deus ex machina means An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.

superpony55
Group Admin

No, not too fond of which idea?

Scootaloser
Group Admin

I'm afraid that with all the attention that Changeling Panic requires of me and with my actual life being a bit busy at the moment... I don't think I'll be able to continue this collab. But if you ever did me to check something over or provide feedback, I'll always be around. Sorry. :fluttershysad:

superpony55
Group Admin

That's fine, I'll do it myself. I do enjoy Changeling Panic! I'll start the story, and if you ever want to help, you may. Anyone else want to do it with me?

F4D3
Group Admin

Alright, so are we starting from scratch or what?

superpony55
Group Admin

Anything. What do you think of what we have?

F4D3
Group Admin

Good so far.

Most of the description that you and Scootaloser gave looks fine.

I'm curious if you have a set direction for this story to go, how do you want to start. Of course I already suggested my idea of a prologue, but how do you want this story to develop? Will Daydream have friends? A love interest? Does she go to school, and if so, where?

Stuff like that.

superpony55
Group Admin

How do you want this story to develop? What do you mean? Will Daydream have friends? I don't think so, how about you? A love interest? No, I'm not very interested in shipping. Does she go to school, and if so, where? Maybe she's graduated?

What do you think?

F4D3
Group Admin

When I asked about how the story should develop, I meant where do you think the story should go after we finish introducing all the main plot points.

I think Daydreams should at least have one or two friends, as I suggested before, she could be at least an acquaintance of Twilight.

I respect not wanting romance in the story, it was just a suggestion.

As for her being graduated, I don't think that would be the best idea. Her being older could imply that she's gotten used to the fact that she isn't who she wants to be. I think it would be best if she were at least a teenager.

superpony55
Group Admin

I'm not sure.

I agree about being the acquaintance of Twi.

A teen is a good idea.

F4D3
Group Admin

As for her cutie mark, perhaps something that both signifies her name and her want to fly?

Perhaps a quill resting on a cloud in order to show that she 'has her head in the clouds' so to speak.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 60