The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,466 members · 49,413 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I've sort of been mulling over the idea for a rather dark fic - might just be the darkest one to date that my brain has spawned. Here's an excerpt from the still half-baked first chapter...

She gasps, coughing as she clears stale air out of her lungs. She grasps at the back of her head. Her hair’s matted with blood, but her skull is in one piece. Again. Then, she can feel strange strings tugging at her mind – The Lost Children, cruelly separated from their guardian, Shadow Mother. Her. Locked up in different locations aboard the unnamed research station, they cry out for her to save them from the scientists’ tools. Yet, she lacks the strength to break out of her cage. The power she requires is just there, right inside her mind for her to reach, but she violently rejects the dead god’s tireless temptations – Kraath’Malyk is ever beguiling in its persistence.

It had finally broken her sanity four years ago and she had gone on a rampage, slaughtering thousands of Coalition citizens, drinking their souls. Her homicide lasted two weeks before she was brought down. It was her fault, all of it. She had thought to shackle a dead god. It had seemed doable at the time – she had defeated Insanity Engine, hadn’t she? The binding of the dead Asahi’s essence to her soul had nearly claimed her sanity as well, but she had persevered in the end. She still remembered Stiarra’s words, too…

Dead godlings they may be, but they are still children. You must take care of them, for my time in this realm is at an end…

So she did just that. Until Kraath'Malyk finally broke her.

She had been the best Coalition had to offer – a tactician without compare, a leader so charismatic entire star systems defected to her cause during the Rebellion. A hero. A legend.

She was Coalition's biggest shame.

It had been merely because of what she had achieved during her life – forging an alliance with both Vasari and Advent during the war, saving Tala'Hiri, Nell-Tiray's daughter, stopping the Skrugg Invasion after the war, finding Earth – that she was not executed on the spot. But there was no escaping the bottom of the well for her, too. She was transported to an unnamed research station somewhere in deep space and endlessly examined and experimented upon. She did not know what they were trying to do. But she gladly accepted the pain that came with the scientists' work. She deserved all of it and much more. She just hoped she would die one day. Knowing what she was, however, she did not expect for death to claim her anytime soon.

Such was the curse of being a mad god.

So, thoughts?

I'd read it.

:derpyderp1: its a scary piece of work... I'd read it though

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

I have no idea what I just read or what it has to do with ponies.

951796 Neat. :)
951872 It ends happily, however.
951877 Well, a mad god goes to Equestria for fun times. And tries to eat the Elements of Harmony because pursuit of power and has unending hunger.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

Is this like a crossover, or based on something? 'Cause the way you write gives me the feeling that I'm supposed to already know these characters and/or this setting, and I don't.

Well, it's somewhat of a what if scenario for Price Of Peace that I've been giving thought to lately. Reading that'd give you much-needed clarification, methinks.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7