Roseluck Fans 433 members · 166 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Many extras we know in love in the show are given their own personality without cannon interference. Like Lyra being crazy over humans, Derpy as this happy-go-lucky wally-eyed mail mare, and many others. However, I don't think Roseluck or her flower pony friends have such. In most of the stories on this site, she is given her own personality through hundreds of versions. But what is her real personality. Who is Roseluck?

I started wondering about this myself until the process of a cutie mark came to mind. We all know that a cutie mark symbolizes what you're good at. However, the talents these characters posses are generally tied to their mental design. Like Rainbow Dash for example; a rainbow lightning bolt explains her as a swift type. But to be swift, she had to prove what she was capable of. When being competitive, your bound to admire the hard work you put yourself through to achieve a higher social status, and so along with that competitive spirit, her ego is generated in the form of cocky athleticism.

So in theory, Roseluck's cutie mark must have a significant backstory that could reveal her true character. Obviously, the rose itself symbolizes passion and love. What if there was some sort of romantic experience with the involvement of roses? Sure, the fandom shows her as a florist, but why just a rose to show that type of career? Daisy and Lily have similar jobs, but there also must be a story behind it. Think about it.

I don't tie her personality to her cutie mark. It may be a part of it, but it's not the whole of it. Nor is Rainbow Dash's personality all about her cutie mark. What does a lightning bolt have to do with loyalty, after all? A lightning bolt is quicksilver, gone in a flash, and Rainbows fade away as soon as the rain shower is gone.

I look at her personality in the show.

1. She's skittish when facing unusual situations.
2. She grows more than just roses, or at least sells more than just roses.
3. She takes pride in her flowers.
4. She has the patience to sit at a stall and sell flowers for a job. Lily and Daisy aren't ever seen doing this. I presumed it to mean they had different jobs.

That's what I went with, anyway, in my portrayal of Roseluck in my fic featuring her.

Those are just the base, starting character traits. She grows over time, and overcomes obstacles and becomes more than just a flower mare.

Even the other background characters, the ones with no speaking lines like Lyra, have personality traits that can be gleaned from watching what theyre doing in the show. Lyra is a little hyper, very emotive, and at least close friends with BonBon.

Anywho... those are my thoughts.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2