Into the Black 323 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
Journeyman
Group Contributor

I have to stop eventually. Maybe when the voices stop. Second verse, same as the verse. First. Damn it, I need to go to bed.

This is a partial of the bioware section of the document I am creating. As you can tell, I don't have portions of it done, such as the producer portion. The entire document is incomplete, but just as I said before, this is your opportunity to add to the document while it is still in progress. And again, please forgive the formatting errors. That's not my fault.

What exactly is biotech is explained below. Just like before, neither I nor shiro are pressuring you to follow these rules. This is just more guidelines than anything.

Now excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess. I need some sleep.

3. Biotechnology

3.1 Introduction
Biotechnology is the science that is based on genetic engineering, experimentation, and manipulation of living things. The applications of such a science and the derivatives produced from living things using its methods is called Bioware. Other subcategories of the field include cloning body parts for medicinal and replacement purposes and altering the body for cosmetic or some beneficial effect.

3.2 Dangers
As biotechnology is a top-tier science, it does not come in varying grades, but that does not lessen the dangers. The act of altering the body on a genetic level, or altering the body in a manner not typical can be very dangerous. Cloned body parts can be rejected and induce illness. The brain may fight additional limbs or biologically engineered body parts and the neural and electrical signals the send to the nerves. A doctor of significant caliber is required to reduce the chance of death on the surgery table.

3.3 Producers
Biotechnology is a much more difficult and expensive field than Cybertechnology. Due to such obstacles, there are less companies and corporations willing to delve into such a field.
3.3.1 Primary Producers
3.3.2 Secondary Producers
3.4 Types
Entries for chemicals use the following formula:

Procedure:
Price:
Description:

Procedure is the name/result of the operation. Price is the credits (§) needed to pay the surgeons and doctors. Description describes the uses and functionality of the biotech.

Note: All entries marked with an asterisk(*) are illegal to receive or offer without express permission from the world government where it is procured.

3.4.1 Cosmetic
Although Biotechnology was intended to to prevent diseases and solve medical problems, there has become a booming and lucrative trade to modify the body for cosmetic and beatific reasons.

Procedure: Pigmentation Reconstruction
Price: 5,000§
Description: The skin melanin is altered to change the natural pigmentation of the skin. Any feasible hue is possible for a competent doctor, from the light to the dark side of the visible color spectrum. It is possible to alter the color of the entire body, or just select portions, but either must be selected in advance.

Pigmentation reconstruction does not fade over time. Although this procedure can feasible change the hue of the iris, the surgery cannot be performed on those with cyber eyes. This bioware is incompatible with Ichthyosis, Geo-Skin, Chloroplast Skin, and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

Procedure: Geo-Skin
Price: 20,000§
Description: Many cybernetic implants require external battery packs or special battery packs in order to function properly. Geo-Skin converts the skin into geothermal fuel cells that provide a portion of the body’s own internal heat into a usable energy. Geo-Skin can extend the life of all cyberware that require fuel cells by a factor of two. This method does not replace regular maintenance needed on all cyberware. This bioware is incompatible with Ichthyosis, Pigmentation Reconstruction, Chloroplast Skin, and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

Procedure: Chloroplast Skin
Description: This treatment introduces chloroplasts into the recipient’s skin cells and turns the skin green. Chloroplasts actively perform photosynthesis, the floral chemical reaction which requires sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide (C02) to create nutritional needs. This method of food creation can only produce enough food for short periods of time and is not enough for indefinite survival. A diet of essential vitamins and minerals is still necessary. This bioware is incompatible with Ichthyosis, Pigmentation Reconstruction, Geo-Skin, and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

Procedure: Follicle Stimulation
Price: 2,000§
Description: Hair growth can be stimulated or altered on any part of the body. Texture, color, thickness, springiness, growth phase, and growth type can and must be selected in advance. It’s possible to have bright green hair for raves, or full body hair to better stay warm in frigid climates. This bioware is incompatible with Ichthyosis and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

Procedure: Ichthyosis
Price: 5,000§ (10,000§ - See below)
Description: Ichthyosis is the slow process of altering the skin to produce hardened scales rather than skin cells. The process is harder to isolate than Follicle Stimulation and Pigmentation Reconstruction, so even if the recipient requests scales on the forearm, the entire arm may become affected. The strength and durability of the scales can be altered accordingly. Basic cosmetic touches cost 5,000§, while harder, more dense scales cost 10,000§. Hardened scales are capable of resisting knife and stab wounds, but higher velocity projectiles are capable of penetrating the scales.

Scale color, iridescence, and shape can be selected before the procedure. This bioware is incompatible with Follicle Stimulation, Sweat Glands, and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

Procedure: Sweat Glands
Description: Tampering with the dermal endocrine seat glands renders them capable of producing any known scent imaginable, including pheromones to woo the opposite sex. While the scent of sweat can be altered, so can the taste. This bioware is incompatible with Follicle Stimulation, Ichthyosis, and surgically implanted armor in the dermis of the skin.

3.4.2 Genetic Engineering
Genetic engineering is the manipulation of a target genome to produce a desired effect.

Procedure: The Fountain
Price: 2,000,000§
Description: This is a major procedure that requires treatment over three months and check ups for an additional two months. The process may only be attempted once, as a second treatment would put far too much stress on the body and result in death.

Using a chemical bath and gene solution, the body’s telomere levels can be restored to the recipient’s desired levels, meaning the body can be rejuvenated to a specific age. The process is very painful and will incapacitate him/her for the required time. When the procedure is over, physical age will be returned to the desired age. This process does not cure debilitating physical or mental conditions.

Procedure: Immunization
Price: 30,000§
Description: The body is treated with a bioware and gene solution meant to build the recipient’s body’s antibodies for a particular compound. The process takes two weeks, but renders the recipient immune to a standard dose of a substance, poison, or toxin that can kill him or her. The bioware only grants immunization to base levels, meaning the dose required to kill the recipient. Massive does still have a possibility of killing the recipient, but are much less effective due to the excess in antibodies. These antibodies remain with the recipient for the rest of their natural life.

Procedure: Gene Therapy
Price:
Type ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Price
Gene Repair ~~~~~~~~~~20,000§
Phenotypic Alteration ~~~~50,000§
Description: This is a large-scale genetic engineering of the body. Gene Repair refers to body repairs that are damage by more than superficial means, such as complete body impairment, genetic diseases, and hereditary defects (poor eyesight, etc.). Phenotypic changes are changes to the body’s natural traits, such as hair color, eye color, skin pigmentation, etc.
3.4.3 Cultured Bodyparts
This section of bioware replaces parts of the body for superior or ulterior components.

Procedure: Pain Suppressor
Price: 50,000§
Description: Bioware implants alter the signals sent to the brain pertaining to the extent of the pain felt in the body. The implants controls the amount of pain consciously felt, but does not change the amount of damage inflicted. The amount of pain blocked to the brain can be controlled by a biometer. This can prevent the recipient from passing out due to excess pain, but once the biometer reduces the suppression back to normal levels, all effects are felt in full. Unconsciousness via overloaded pain receptors can be prevented by this biotech.

Procedure: Cultured Body Parts
Price:
Type ~~~~~~~Price
Organ ~~~~~5,000§
Limb ~~~~~15,000§
Atypical ~~~40,000§
Description: A DNA sample is taken from the recipient and replacement body parts are grown fro the genetic material code. Organs and limbs can be grown in the space of a month and act as exact copies of the original. While this can replace lost body parts or damaged organs, it can also be a preemptive measure to have replacement body parts on standby when they are needed.

If necessary, the recipient’s body can be altered to accept additional growths or body parts not meant for it. Humans can be synthesized reptilian or prehensile tails, or alter limb joints for added flexibility.

Procedure: Environmental Adaption
Price:
Type ~~~~~~~~~Price
Cold ~~~~~~~~50,000§
Heat ~~~~~~~~50,000§
Low Oxygen ~~~60,000§
Pollutants ~~~~70,000§
Pressure ~~~~~80,000§
Description: Temperature-related alterations alter the fluid, heat, and water retention for increased resistance to the elements for the selected procedure. Low oxygen biotech alters metabolic processes and hemoglobin proteins to allow for increased anaerobic respiration, allowing for great expanses of times between breaths or time in vacuums. Pollutants helps the recipient to fight against industrial or chemical toxins, but does not grant an immunity. Gene Repair is necessary for that. Pressure biotech reinforces the body cavity to fight against pressure shifts and direct damage to the skeletal structure, which can sustain damage far better than internal tissue organs.

Procedure: Osteoblast Rigidity
Price: 30,000§
Description: This bioware greatly reinforces the bone density and flexibility of the body. The recipient can take fall damage and resist pressure and torque to the body’s skeletal structure to a greater extent. Blunt force trauma, especially to the cranium, has a much harder time cracking and splintering bones. This procedure comes with the problem of making surgeries more difficult, as the bones are much harder to slice and penetrate to access the internal body cavities.
3.4.4 Basic Bioware
This blanket type of bioware, although in a specific place in the body, affects the body at large.

Procedure: Biomonitor
Description: A basic device that controls inputs and outputs for bioware when such a thing is possible. Some bioware allows for specific doses of chemical to be introduce into the body and bloodstream, and the biomonitor is what controls this dose. Biomonitors can receive a wireless mental uplink via Dataport cyberware. Biomonitors can be implanted in the body with preset levels, or be external devices. Doses of chemicals are not altered once they are cut out of the range of the biomonitor.

Procedure: Bio-Eyes
Price:
Type ~~~~~~~~~~~~~Price
Altered pupil ~~~~~~~5,000§
Infrared ~~~~~~~~~~20,000§
Low Light ~~~~~~~~10,000§
Night Vision ~~~~~~15,000§
Description: Alters the fundamental structure of the eye to provide different types of vision. Although the altered pupil is for cosmetic purposes only, it has become popular in the underground and rave circles due to its uniqueness. Low Light does not allow sight in complete darkness, but Night Vision users can be blinded by sudden bright lights when they occur.

Bio-Eyes are incompatible with Cyber Eyes.

Procedure: Pheromone Factory
Price: 10,000§
Description: Allows the body to exude the desired pheromones. Although persuasive pheromones give the recipient an added edge in terms of charisma, it can provide unwanted or undesired sexual attraction for those in the vicinity. The amount and type of pheromones produced can be controlled by a biomonitor.

Procedure: Platelet Factory
Description: The body becomes much more resistant towards exsanguination and bleeding. Hemorrhaging wounds close much faster due to excess platelets in the body, healing cuts, burns, and external wounds. Recipients of a Platelet Factory must take blood thinners to prevent blood clots.

I am a biotech god! Immediately gets killed. Will come back to the later (hopefully).

I'm guessing the platelet factory is incompatible with the low-oxygen adaptation?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

There's enough room in the bloodstream for the increased platelets and modified red blood cells. They're compatible, although blood thinners would be necessary unless you want to die from an aneurysm.

1071580 well, I just came up with one costly but one tough human to kill:
Platelet Factory: 20,000 Euros
All Adaptations: 310,000 Euros
IR, LL and NV Bio Eyes with adjustable: 60,000 Euros
Osteoblast Rigidity: 30,000 Euros
High-End Dermal Armor: 50,000-100,000(?) Euros
Immunization for common diseases: 30,000-30,000x(X) Euros
I'm pretty sure only millionaires and high middle-class could afford the procedures without credit cards

Journeyman
Group Contributor

You'd need a biomonitor, an extra 5,000, but yes. That would be one tough mofo.

While millionaire could afford the genetic modification, why would they need all of that? Bio eyes? A platelet factory? Why would they need all of that? Only the guys on the field would, and I am certain they are paid far less.

1071725 hmm, let's see, salvagers, men wanting to see battle first-hand, construction business, hunters, the types that require high physical demands from the user and are dangerous to his/her body (ex. a bear attack)

Journeyman
Group Contributor

I suppose I would. The dermal plating would be cyberware, though. The high end materials would be deltaware, and that's not available to civilians or corporate sponsors and contractors. That's only top-tier government and black ops grade military hardware. Gammaware, maybe, but deltaware is a no, unless it is obtained illegally.

1073269 there's a reason why the black market is in existence :pinkiehappy:

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Which is why I made the NOMAD Syndicate.

1073633 hmm, true, but deltaware is given to military personnel, so Ex-Military would be most suited for that

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Do you know what kind of crap military personnel bring back from their tours? I know a guy who brought back 1,300 in Iraqi money. I don't know how he got it, and I don't want to know.

Fraud can be easy enough, as long as the doctor is in on it. It's a kind of insurance fraud. The doctor's and surgeons are the one who implant the cyberware and perform the surgeries. You need to loose some lips or stage some raids to get deltaware.

1073671 you wouldn't mind me using your posts for a ST/SW crossover, would you?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

You mean the cyberware/bioware/chemical threads?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Sure. As long as I get credited for what I wrote.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16