Pony Role-Playing (PRP) 59 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 111 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 111
Nodoga
Group Admin

Hiho, I´m the newest Member of this lovely group and I thought it wouldn´t be so bad to bring some life in here again:pinkiehappy:

Well, this is the first time doing a RP like this (mostly because I always get confused by all the numbers), but I thought it´s worth a try.

So, who wan´t to go on a advenure with me?:rainbowkiss:

IrresponsibleCupid
Group Admin

I would gladly join this RP, if I were not already in one at the moment. Sorry. Also, I'm pretty sure that this group has officially sunk. You can take over if you want, but I'm going to direct my attention elsewhere.

Nodoga
Group Admin

I had hoped to hear more encouragement fromt he creator of this group.

IrresponsibleCupid
Group Admin

I would provide more encouragement, but I would then be speaking a half-truth, which is just as bad as a lie. I suppose I will stick around and see how many people join your RP. If the group takes off again, I'll join in on the fun, but I'll be keeping my distance and watching silently.

Nodoga
Group Admin

Sometimes lies aren´t that bad, even good.
And it´s just half the fun to help a group to his glory if the creator don´t want to play along.

Uh-oh! Darkhanos is here :pinkiecrazy:

I might be interested. What kind of game would it be? Play-by-post (forum-style)? Real time (like on Skype or something)? Would we be using a system at all?

Once we get some more info, I'll be able to let you know for sure if I can play.

Nodoga
Group Admin

I would prefer to be that a bit more orgenazied. So if we are more than two players I would like to have a post order (like me, than you and then the third player). And in case someone leaves earlier I would contnue without him then.

About the topic, I´m not sure what it should be about. Maybe about a group of Heros entering a dungeoun to get a specific artifact.
And I also don´t know how this whole thing works because it is my first of these kind so it would be nice to have someone with more experience (like you or
2441025 )

Awesome, do you wanna play?

sure. Just need to know the specifics

Nodoga
Group Admin

There is a thread with all the rules and stuff. I know it is much to read, but I guess it comes in handy while playing.

Well, I've been waiting for someone to post on these forums for a while. Silently lurking as t'were. I'm up for it. The basis of a good RP is set in the story. There has to be a logical development and motion towards a goal. Basically, has anyone thought of a story because I would be glad to offer some help in writing something for you guys if you're up for this. I've been a dungeon master before so I know the score.

Just let me know what type of thing you're going for and I'm sure I could whip something together in a matter of no time. Given the pace of forum style games, I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to script an entire adventure in that space of time. The only thing is that I don't know how the mechanics of this particular RPG work. But that can be overcome with a little bit of reading. =]

Edit: Okay, I've acquainted myself with the basic rules and they seem fairly simply. If you want to play this in the style the group creator wanted, we can go for that. So! Those who are playing, please post a complete character sheet. You can include a little bit of bio too, if you want, though this is completely optional. Turn order should be determined by the rolling of dice as with everything. Thereafter, that turn order is likely to apply to everything in the game except battles (the mechanics for which are laid out in the rules.

Edit(2): Also, since this is the first time anypony has played with these rules, I guess I'll have to refer any questions I have to HotHead if he/she is available to answer them. That said, I could just wing it if he/she's not. I'm quite interested to see how this game will pan out.

It is a cool and blustery morning. Day has just broken, but it would be hard to tell were it not for the sparse chirps of a few foolhardy blue jays. The sun's rays barely penetrate the thick, heavy clouds. Three ponies have come together on this ominous morning with adventure in their hearts.

They meet in the shadow of a statue of Diamond Hoof, the most famous treasure hunter ever to stumble forth from the town of Cornstable at the northern border of Equestria. His story has inspired their quest. Local legend tells that he left the town with nothing but a set of laden saddlebags and staff at his quarter and returned with forgotten riches from Equestria and beyond! How he did it and where it came from is a matter of some debate. All that is known for sure is that his success went to his head and his hunger for more and greater riches consumed the generosity he had once been revered for. His statue now stands as a reminder to anypony who would follow his example. Words at the base of the plinth read:

"Let ye go and wander far
and seek ye riches true,
but forget ye not just who ye are
lest ye be broken too."

Wise words!

To the north of the town is a sprawling wood. Rumour has it that beyond their depths lie many adventures and many artefacts of great interest or value which were lost by the ponies of olden times. To the south is the Galloping Highway leading to the capital and beyond. To the East, there is a barracks where a garrison is stationed in order to protect the country and its borders against would-be invaders. To the west is an open expanse.

The temptation that led you three to meet lies in one of these four directions. A single crash of thunder heralds the bursting of the sky. Rain lashes forth from the heavens. The time to leave is upon you.

First, I'm grateful that you'd be willing to put a campaign together for us. I run a few (non-pony) games of my own and it will be fantastic to be able to actually play in one for once.

Second, I have a strong dislike of the rules as described in the official post. I think that they are extremely limiting and don't really let me build the character that I'd like to play. If we could get a different system, I would be very happy. (If need be, I can provide one)

Third, I have two basic character concepts, I can play whichever is more appropriate for the setting. (what is the setting, btw? modern Equestria?) I will build the exact sheet later when I get time.

#1: Silver Saber
Pegasus Mare
Light gray coat, copper-colored mane with orange eyes
Sword and cloud cutie mark
Generally a reserved pony, she is a veteran guardspony who grew bored of grunt work and keeping watches. Seeks adventure for the fun of it, though is not terribly rash in her decision-making. Has a relatively short attention span, and tends to be more easily manipulated and tempted than many ponies.

#2: Quick Fix
Unicorn Stallion
Green-yellow coat, medium-green mane with yellow-ish eyes
Three small red crosses cutie mark
A very outgoing pony, he is a young healer who doesn't want to allow anypony to suffer if he could help it. Seeks adventure to bring aid to those who can't normally get it, though is also happy to meet as many ponies as he can along the way. Tends to be rather oblivious and too forgiving, sometimes letting his heart get him into situations that he can't handle on his own.

IrresponsibleCupid
Group Admin

Well, I was obviously wrong. This group revived itself overnight. I will gladly join! :pinkiehappy:

Here's my character:

Name: Lunar Aegis
Player: Hothead112
Race: Pegasus
Class: Warrior
Weight: 350 lbs.
Height: 6'3"
Speed: 30 ft.
Sight: 30 ft.
Special Abilities: Flight (35 ft.)
Weapon/Damage: Sword/1D8
Spells: N/A
Edges/Hindrances: Cunning/Honest
Traits: Offensive Combat, Ace Flyer, Combat Training, Stealthy, Defensive Fighter
Profession: Bodyguard
Abilities: Strength - 12 (+1), Agility - 14 (+2), Intellect - 10 (±0)
Level: 1
Attack: +3
Defense: 14
Health Points: 12
Spell Points: N/A

Nodoga
Group Admin

I hate to do this, but...I told you so:pinkiehappy:

2443141>>2448004
I´m still kinda confused by all the numbers and such in the rules, but I try to fill the character sheet out as good as I can. If something isn´t right could you please tell me so I change it

Name: Trickster
Player: Nodoga
Race: Pegasus
Class: Expert
Weight: 200 (I´m not familiar with the american units for weight)
Height: 1,5 meters (I´m not familiar with the american units for heigh as well)
Speed: 30 ft.
Sight: 30 ft.
Special Abilities: (Isn´t able to fly because of an accident)
Weapon/Damage: Short Blades (also called Daggers I suppose)/ 1D6
Spells:N N/A
Edges/Hindrances: Farsighted/Half-deaf
Traits: Stealthy, Disable Traps, Open Locks, Offensive Combat, Tinkerer
Profession: Rogue
Abilities: Strength 10, Agility 14 , Intellect 12
Level:1
Attack: +1
Defense:10
Health Points: 10
Spell Points: N/A

Nodoga
Group Admin

Oh, and thank you for making up the story. I really had no idea what to do without someone who has more experience in that than me.

2447111 2448004 2448082

Hi guys! I was waiting to see if you were interested. It's no problem to write a quest. I put that intro up to give you an idea of what might be possible. First thing to say is that, rule-wise, I'm not sure what you want to do. We don't want to make it far too complicated from the get-go. I think there has to be a balance because this isn't D&D. That said, they do lack a little bit of freedom. I think we should run with them to begin with and see what works and what doesn't and we can alter that as we go.

In terms of monster spawning, we'll just run with the D&D system. Given that you all have 0XP, we'll keep it tame to begin with, hopefully building up to something slightly bigger nearer the end. What are your particular objections to the rules, Brony Tom?

Now, as regards the timing, I'm thinking "800 years ago". That would put us after Discord's fall and Luna's banishment but long before Twilight Sparkle. There will still be some alive who remember things from during Discord's reign. The Kingdom of Equestria under Celestia is still young but her rule is definitely established. That said, the Kingdom pre-dates Celestia by quite a way. That leaves us with a lot of potential for stories. There will be a great lack of diplomatic relationships and the Celestia's intentions may be at question by some races.

Does this seem like a reasonable setting? I quite like it. Anyway, I've taken a note of your characters and will check them over before we begin at any rate. Though don't expect too much activity from me during the next two days. Christmas and such.

Also, you basically can set your abilities based on a number of things (including edges/hindrances), I'll let HotHead explain it. You're attack/defense stats are based off your character level, class, traits etc. Your HP is based off your class and level too. Yours will be set to 10 as a base because your character is of the Expert class. See?

Nodoga
Group Admin

The setting is really good, I like it.

2451166 See edit for info on character arbitration.

Nodoga
Group Admin

Thanks, but where are the basic stats for attack, defense, strenght, agility and intellect? Every class has to start with a basic amount of points for every of these stats, but where can I find them?

2451224 It is there. It's just well hidden. Defence=10+Class Defence Bonus+Trait Defence Bonus. Yours will be 10+0+0=10. Your attack stat doesn't have a base number as such. It just has a modifier which will be applied to your dice roll when performing a melee or ranged attack against a hostile creature. Your defence requires a number because that lets me know what the dice roll has to be for a hostile to injure you! :twilightsmile:

For your abilities, each one starts with 8 and you have 12 points to spend as you please.If you spend 3 points, you gain an ability modifier, the use of which, I presume, is to allow you to perform more ability intense tasks as we adventure on. I think I'd need a bit more clarification on how exactly that works. But I presume if you wish to perform a task which requires knowledge and you roll a die to see if you have succeeded, you will add the modifier to the number you rolled when checking for a successful action. I would imagine that's how it works.

Nodoga
Group Admin

So confusing:applejackconfused:
And I assume I need a dice to play, right?

So that means I can spend 12 points, but get a bonus when I only spend 3 point?

2451537 Yes, 3 points = +1 modifier. And you have 12 to spend. You get an extra 1.5 twice when you level at different points. It sounds more complicated than it is. You don't need a physical set of dice. There are websites with RPG dice which you can roll online. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain there are some you can roll in real time with a group. That said, we probably won't be doing this in real time. Imma probably look for one which records previous dice rolls etc. so that we can all view it at any time after the roll itself.

Nodoga
Group Admin

And what does the modifier do?
So I get one modifier every 3 points I spend? Wouldn´t that mean I get 4 modifiers after I spend all my 12 points?

2451650 You get up to 4. You don't necessarily have to spend them in groups of three. The modifier will be used like this:

Say you come up against a heavy rock which blocks your path: you want to move it. The weight is quite high so your strength has to match this. To move the rock, you need to roll a 2D6 and you require a 10 or greater. If your strength has a modifier, this becomes a 2D6+1 (or even 2D6+2) and you will still require a 10 or higher. However with the modifier, you need only roll a 9 (or even an 8!) to get the rock to move.

Knowledge and agility will be used like this too.

Nodoga
Group Admin

It starts to make sense. I edited my Charactersheet now, could you look over it and tell me if it´s alright now?

Nodoga
Group Admin

(Just to go sure that you´re still up to it)

I don't know. I tried reading the rules and I really don't understand it, and that's been dulling my interest. If someone walked me through creation, I'd be fine with it.

Nodoga
Group Admin

What exactly you don´t understood?
It seems that iMarc understood the rules pretty well and he helped me with my character sheet. Also about 70-80% of the sheet is pretty easy to fill out.

2457936 Yeah, if you need a hand, I can help you maybe? Once you have the basics together, it should play out will enough. It basically works as a story. I'll tell you what is around you, what the scenario is. You react to that scenario (in character) giving me feedback as to what you're character would do. The abilities and dice rolls and such are mainly for achieving certain things in your quest and can be clarified at the time if necessary.

You can make up just about anything you want as your character's backstory and he/she can be just about anything you please in terms of personality and morality. If your struggling with the technical aspects of character creation, just ask. Don't sweat it! =]

Edit: I like your Quick Fix character. We can work on a sheet for him if you'd like. If you post a half done sheet omitting anything you're not sure about, we can go through the rest of it together. How does that sound?

2451749 Yeah, it makes sence. Your attack stat is simply listed as "+1" because you have offensive fighter trait. So that means that you have a +1 modifier to any attack rolls. Don't worry about that just yet. It'll become clear when we play.

Nodoga
Group Admin

Thank you very much, can´t wait to start playing.

That sounds great, actually. Thanks much. I'll get to work on what I can.

Alright, I think I've got this. It took me a while to read through everything and actually understand it. One thing I'm still not clear on is how I choose which spells I have. Do I buy them with spell points? Or do I just pick which spells I have, and then I spend spell points whenever I cast them?

Also, I apologize if I came off as a little harsh earlier. I shouldn't have gotten frustrated.

Name: Quick Fix
Player: Brony Tom
Race: Unicorn
Class: Sage
Weight: 230 lbs
Height: 5'10"
Speed: 30 ft
Sight: 30 ft
Special Abilities: Unicorn Magic
Weapon/Damage: Staff 1d4
Spells:
Telekinesis (0)
Conjure Food (0)
Prestidigitation (0)
Heal (3)
Edges/Hindrances: Intelligent/Weak
Traits:
Magical Arts
Magic Master
Lore Seeker
Defensive Fighter
Profession: Lore-Master
Abilities:
Strength - 6 (-1), Agility - 8 (+0), Intellect - 22 (+4)
Level: 1
Attack: 0
Defense: 11 (Do I wear armor?)
Health Points: 6/lvl
Spell Points: 2 base, +2/lvl, +1 at 1st lvl

Also, are we allowed to make our own spells? I'd be interested in getting things like shield spells to protect my friends.

2471256 Yes. Everything on that makes perfect sense except for the spell points. By my count, you have 2 for being a Level 1 Sage + 1 for Magic Arts trait = 3 spell points. The way I read it, Magic Master trait gives you one per level at which you gain more spell points (so +1 at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th level). That aside, its a good sheet. Imma count your spell points as 3 though.

The way I understand it, spell points allow you to choose spells from the list to be known. There doesn't appear to be any kind of limit on the number of times you can use them though. From that, I've got to think that there should be some kind of roll to determine whether the spell was successful or not but there isn't. So we'll see how that pans out.

As for additional spells, I have to agree that there aren't too many to choose from. I think I'd have liked to seen more defensive spells. Maybe minor spell shielding or things which increase the party's abilities and such for a short period of time. I'll look in to writing some new magic before too long. Who knows, maybe if I do that, I'll become an alicorn. :trollestia:

2448004 2448082 2471256

Okay, so now that I have three complete character sheets, the last thing that remains is for us to have a dicelogger. For the sake of convenience, I have one called Hamete. It was written by a couple of French fellows and can be found here. The only thing is that you would have to register for the site and let me know your email addresses so I could add you to the game. (If you do do this, let me know by PM ONLY! Don't go posting your e-mail address all over a forum, yeah?)

The alternative is, of course, just to allow you to roll your dice (either physically or online) by yourself and just tell me what you rolled. I guess you would call that the honour system. This would only work if you were all absolutely honest. I have no qualms about accepting that if that's what you want to do. I'm a trusting soul.

Anyway, it's game on as far as I'm concerned.

It is a cool and blustery morning. Day has just broken, but it would be hard to tell were it not for the sparse chirps of a few foolhardy blue jays. The sun's rays barely penetrate the thick, heavy clouds. Three ponies have come together on this ominous morning with adventure in their hearts.

They meet in the shadow of a statue of Diamond Hoof, the most famous treasure hunter ever to stumble forth from the town of Cornstable at the northern border of Equestria. His story has inspired their quest. Local legend tells that he left the town with nothing but a set of laden saddlebags and staff at his quarter and returned with forgotten riches from Equestria and beyond! How he did it and where it came from is a matter of some debate. All that is known for sure is that his success went to his head and his hunger for more and greater riches consumed the generosity he had once been revered for. His statue now stands as a reminder to anypony who would follow his example. Words at the base of the plinth read:

"Let ye go and wander far
and seek ye riches true,
but forget ye not just who ye are
lest ye be broken too."

Wise words!

To the north of the town is a sprawling wood. Rumour has it that beyond their depths lie many adventures and many artefacts of great interest or value which were lost by the ponies of olden times. To the south is the Galloping Highway leading to the capital and beyond. To the East, there is a barracks where a garrison is stationed in order to protect the country and its borders against would-be invaders. To the west is an open expanse.

The temptation that led you three to meet lies in one of these four directions. A single crash of thunder heralds the bursting of the sky. Rain lashes forth from the heavens. The time to leave is upon you.

Please put anything which refers to the actual game in a quote box. Any chat goes outside the quote box. This keeps us straight. I think the best thing here would be for you all to decide amongst yourselves (your characters) which direction you want to go in. This decision will be the basis for the quest. I hope you have fun!

Nodoga
Group Admin

So we start playing now? Awesome!
I suppose this is a bit different than regular RPing, right?

Not too different. Basically, you can ask me anything you want about your surroundings. Assuming that I think it's reasonable that your character would be able to perceive this, I'll tell you. You can also tell me what your character says and does given the stimuli in the story. Again, you can tell me that your character will attempt to do anything and I will decide whether or not its reasonable to expect that they CAN in fact do that. Where there is doubt, or where it is necessary, there will dice rolls and their success or failure will tell me what actually happened.

As an aside, you have 5x your HP in bits (that is to say pony money) to start your quest. So the group has 140 bits in total. The spread is relatively unimportant. You all have saddle bags and an inventory held therein. All that's in there at the moment is a day's worth of food, some bits and your weapon of choice.

Okay, that's fine. I really only wanted Heal at this point anyway. :twilightsheepish:

As for dicerollers, I would be fine either way.

A few questions in regard to the game itself:
I'm assuming we have a set posting order?
Do we know each other already in-character? If so, how well?

Nodoga
Group Admin

Ok, I try to write something. Tell me if it could be imrpoved.
And is it alright if I go for first person?

I sat in the shadow of the statue, my hood covering my face as I thought about the upcoming adventure. I sat in a bit of a distance to my two compagnions, because I were always more the quite type.

It seems so short and I dunno what to add there.

2487074 Well, order is unimportant really. It evolves like a conversation. The only time where posting order will be important is in fights and in situations where I ask "what do you do?". In those cases, we'll probably go by the order in which you posted in the thread. So Nodoga, HotHead, Brony Tom.

I'm going to say that you do know one-another, however not as friends. Acquaintances would be more like it. You met in the town and have known one-another for as long as it took to decide to meet for some questing and perhaps for a little while before hoof. So yeah, you'll have to get to know one-another in character. After all, your characters have barely met. But you'll learn plenty as you adventure on! That's part of the fun. Just let yourself become immersed.

Also, for dice-rollers, if you're happy to use that site, it'd make this a little easier. After all, then it's clear to everyone what you got.

Nodoga
Group Admin

I knew that we know each other in some way, but my character is more the onw who stays for himself.

2486993 Oh my reply should have been to you lol.

2487349 Sorry, I was replying to Brony Tom who was asking whether you all knew one-another. Also, I wonder if HotHead has abandoned the game? =\

Nodoga
Group Admin

He still goes on every day once in a while, so he can´t be away.
I dunno, I think he lost interest.

2487528 Well, I've mailed him, just in case. I'll give it a couple of days and then I'll come back to it. Two players is fine by me, but I'd rather have the three for a balanced party.

Nodoga
Group Admin

I could still ask a few other guys who may give this kind of RP a try if Hothead don´t want anymore.
And I messaged him as well :twilightsheepish:

Duly noted. Much obliged.

I'll work on an in-character post as soon as I get the time.

IrresponsibleCupid
Group Admin

I walk to each side of the statue and fly into the air a little to try and see anything. I do this facing, North, South, East, and West. (Do I see anything that might point us in a certain direction?)

While Lunar Aegis is looking around, I step over to Trickster and try to nudge him on the shoulder.
"Don't be such a wet blanket," I say. "We're going to be adventuring buddies for a while, won't you get bored if you don't have anyone to talk to?"

IrresponsibleCupid
Group Admin

"Yeah. You don't have to sit over there all alone, considering how long we're going to be adventuring together," I call over my shoulder before resuming my scan.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 111