Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Not sure where to put this, seems like the proper group. Anyways, anyone got any clue what type if train it could be? It doesn't appear to have a tender, so maybe it could be one of the more advanced trains? It's wheels tell me it's a 4-4-0 type, but can't find anything specific.

I think you are overthinking it, because I seriously doubt the writers picked out a specific model for it. The best I can recommend is finding it's closest real life equivalent and using that.

...that's what I was asking.

There are actually a couple of groups on this site specifically for train/steam stuff, but anyway.

Like the vast majority of cartoons and kids toys, it's very very loosely based on the American Standard 4-4-0, but cancerously kiddified.

If you want to explain why there's no tender beyond "the animators don't understand how a steam locomotive works" then you can assume it's a well tank locomotive like a Beattie.

(Well tanks have the water tank under the boiler, between the frames, instead of on the sides or on the top as a saddle.)

Nothing particularly advanced about well tanks, in fact they're actually rather limited in use because there is so little room between the frames that they don't hold much water, severely limiting their range even by the standards of other tank engines.

Why's it called the American Standard 4-4-0

Because it was the standard type of locomotive used in America from the late 1850s to the early 1890s, regardless of company that built them, they almost all followed the same pattern.

Baldwin Locomotive Works.

Norris Locomotive Works.

(The Baldwin design being closer to the end of the 4-4-0's reign while the Norris was in the heart of it.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6