Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Which one do you prefer?

Depends on the Universe. FMA style Alchemy beats real life Chemistry.
Marvel ‘Supersoldier Formula Vita-rays’ Chemistry beats real world (nonexistent) alchemy. At least IMHO.

Depends on the Universe. FMA style Alchemy beats real life Chemistry.

Also MLP alchemy is basically just potion-based magic that ignores the laws of physics.

At least in FMA you have the principle of equivalent exchange. MLP potions can apparently create matter from nothing.

Marvel ‘Supersoldier Formula Vita-rays’ Chemistry beats real world (nonexistent) alchemy.

Oh, alchemy totally existed for real. It's just that it was basically just proto-chemistry and mostly based on guesswork.

There was this one alchemist who got it into his head that he could turn urine into gold. Because, you know, they have the same color so he figured there had to be a connection there.

What he actually managed to do was turn urine into phosphorus, which - while probably disappointing to him at the time - did turn out to be a valuable discovery.

Turning pee into phosphorus is cool, but turning sickly Steve Rogers into Captain America still wins in my books :pinkiehappy:

Sure, no argument there.

Though, of course there's also fictional alchemy vs fictional chemistry. I'm pretty sure there's alchemy in fiction on par with or superior to the super soldier serum.

Can't think of any examples off the top of my head, except possibly the gaul potion from Asterix. It basically gave you Hulk-level super-strength plus inhuman durability. Granted, it was only temporary, with the exception of Obelix. He was just monster strong all the time due to a childhood accident involving said potion, which was apparently considered too dangerous to try to replicate.

Though, of course there's also fictional alchemy vs fictional chemistry.

Agreed 100%! That’s my favourite part of reading well done crossovers: seeing how the powers/technology/magic of one universe mixes with the powers/technology/magic of another (that and how different philosophies and values interact too!)

Would depend on the situation. But I prefer actual science to unknown factors. So Chemistry on this one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7