Tropers 420 members · 347 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Can I please get a complete list of qualifications that a Vile Villain, Saccharine Show needs to, well, qualify?

Well, first off, the world needs to be generally idyllic - the good guys always win, the villains are inept and bumbling (or entirely nonexistent), and there's little to no hardship.

Next, the villain needs to contrast sharply with all that - suddenly, the latest villain is not only competent, but horrific. Perhaps they seek to subjugate the population, perhaps they intend to destroy the world, or even the universe. What matters it that their goals sharply differ from the bright tone of the world, and that they are actually managing to succeed. While the heroes will eventually triumph, it comes at a cost - either actual or metaphorical.

Furthermore, the villain's methods must also be monstrous - we're talking blood sacrifices, corrosive ooze, mind control, body horror, the works. Their methods, whatever they be, should scream wrongness in comparison to everything else about the show, for they do not belong.

Finally, it can't just be a dream - the hero's anxieties don't count as a separate villain unless it's actually a separate entity. The villain must be a credible threat to the entirety of the show's scope, not just one character.

To sum up - bright world, extremely grim villain, not just a dream but actually a threat.

Heh, looking at that, I just realized at least two villains I have written (one from an MLP fanfic, the other from a future animated series) fit all that criteria.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3