World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Eagle
Group Admin

To commemorate the anniversary of Operation: Jubilee. Could The Dieppe Raid have succeeded? If so, how would the battle for France turn out? Remember the time period.

I'll be totally honest in saying that I don't think that Operation Jubilee could have succeeded. It was poorly managed and enacted at a time where it just wasn't a viable strategic option. In 1942 Britain was recovering from the Blitz and it's forces were still reorganizing/resupplying after the retreat from Dunkirk. Commonwealth forces were chosen as the predominant force because of pressure from the Canadian government who wanted their troops to see action, not because they thought the plan was sound. They chose the wrong location, at the wrong time, with the wrong structure and organization. The RAF ultimately failed in it's objective and the landing force lacked sufficient armor support.

That said, even if the initial assault had gone more to plan I doubt it would have ended well. Germany still had a strong position in France, the US had only started sending troops and equipment to England, and the USSR had yet to turn back the tide. If Allied forces had been able to hold the port my best guess would have the Wehrmacht quickly reorganizing and carrying out a counter attack in force. All throughout the war (Especially in Italy) they were know to excel at quickly re-taking positions.

All in all, I believe the raid would have fared poorly regardless and would serve only to give the Allies experience on how to conduct amphibious landings on the European mainland. That and where not to land. As for the Germans, well, had it done better it would likely have fueled their paranoia and expedited construction of the Atlantic Wall. This would only have made Normandy more complicated and a bigger risk.

While it bothers me that so many of my countrymen were lost in what turned out to be a relatively pointless raid, I feel that in the long run it served the Allies better than a resounding success. The last thing they needed was more attention to the Normandy sector.

Eagle
Group Admin

Makes since. The Germans were just too powerful.

Sorry for the bit of a rant ^^;; Dieppe is one of those things I got into detail about because of the national interest aspect.

Eagle
Group Admin

No it's good. The detail shows you know what you're talking about.

dragonfang33
Group Admin

Given the terrain, the obsticiles, the presence of a large number of Luftwaffe planes and the failure to spot German defenses there was little chance for success unless surprise was complete, however the German garrison was on full alert and knew the British were planning something in the Dieppe area thanks to their spy rings. British planners relied solely on vacation pictures to decide if the area was suitable for landing troops and armor and reports about German defense in the area were out of date. In the end Jubilee should've been canceled since there was little to no chance for success

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6