World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Military technological advances aside, what do you think if WW1 and WW2 never happened and it was written in form of a book by some random person? This also includes that should the Black Hands failed to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

We woud not have jet planes so a boring world.

People would bitch that Goering switching to bombing London and letting England rebuild their airports was a case of Bond Villain Stupidity.

Good thinking! :rainbowlaugh:

I guess that applies to Operation Barbarossa too?

No jets, America wouldn't be an industrial giant. No Cold War. No "America is the world police".
No real (at least large) aircraft carriers
More biplanes and prop driven aircraft
Wars would be fought with more navy and ground units. No armor piercing weapons. No modern areas weapons and tech. No hippie movement. And a lot more likely, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

That snow would be a Deus Ex Machina. Not to mention that the same twist was earlier used in Soviet Union's attack on Finland.

5850324 just my tuppence worth as someone greatly interested in railway history, here in Great Britain at least, transport would be very different, and the railways would be a mess of private companies.

following WW1 some 120 separate companies were merged into 4 to aid with rebuilding a network that, whilst not directly attacked, had been overtaxed with wartime troop and munitions trains headed for the east coast.

as a result there wouldn't have been the races to north of the 20s and 30s between the LNER and LMS, and in the 30s there wouldn't have been the streamlines trains, meaning no game of leapfrog with speed records culminating in the LNER's 1938 126 mph speed record, which still stands to this day.

after WW2, not only the railways, but coal and road services, was nationalised, falling under government control, because the damage caused by the German bombings of great britain was such that the level of reparations would require government intervention. All four railway companies had literally been stretched to bankruptcy and beyond.

no British Railways means no Beeching axe, so the railway network would be even more extensive than it is today. also no HST

there's also the flipside that sections of britain's railways would have been electrified about 30-50 years earlier, the North Eastern Railway had in 1920 planned to electrify the stretch of the East Coast main Line between York & Newcastle before it was proptly cancelled in 1923 by the grouping

in addition Britain's motorway (equivalent to the US interstate) network wouldn't be quite so extensive. the reason there is so many motorways in the first place is because the politically naive chairman of BR, Dr. Beeching, was manipulated by the road unions to announce a reshaping of the railway network which resulted in the loss of some 20-40% of total track mileage

there would possibly also be no internet, as that started as a military communication network

5850324 Well, if the two world wars hadn't happened my Grandfather wouldn't have loved German Culture so much. He kept the Germans at bay while in the Navy, until the war was over. And by kept, I mean he kept a shop and sold things to other sailors on a US Naval boat XD my Grandmother wouldn't have had a cousin who was captured and worked in a German Concentration camp, and the care package she sent wouldn't have gone to anyone, the soldier she met would've just been her imagination after the "war". And my great uncle wouldn't have been kept at an internment camp because his family is Japanese, unless the US was just really racist anyways during the "war".

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11