World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Poodicus
Group Admin

Thought I'd create this thread so that if anyone wanted to sit down and watch a documentary of any kind, they could come to this place to find one. That, and to share various information one might know and yadda, yadda, etc.

Anyways, to hit it off, have one I have from my favorites list on youtube:

A video on Stalingrad, talking to both Soviets who served there, and Germans who fought there and some who suffered as PoWs after the battle and after the war.

The World at War series.

While lacking the flashy special effects and recreations of more modern documentaries, World at War gives a great demonstration of the war as it was seen on all sides. Using archival footage and a large number of surviving veterans (World at War was filmed in the 70's) including Generals and even Hitler's secretary. This documentary is one of the best in describing the war. It was 19th on the top 100 Best British TV shows.

The War

The War is one of Ken Burns masterpieces. Using archival footage, experts and period photographs, Ken Burns describes WWII in his own masterful style. The War can be seen on Netflix so there is no excuse in not watching it.

I watched The War when PBS decided to play the whole thing one time and I can agree with you.... its pretty darn good:moustache:

dragonfang33
Group Admin

Battle 360 about the exploits of USS Enterprise during the Pacific War
Patton 360 about General Patton's exploits in the European War
The Somme From Defeat to Victory: Documentary on the Battle of the Somme
Ken Burns' The Civil War

3117678 I haven't seen a Ken Burns documentary I didn't like. The War is great. The Civil War is masterful. Even his more obscure documentaries such as Prohibition and The Dust Bowl are great documentaries.

3119368 Battle 360 is a great series and the special effects aren't bad either.

You're right on that account:moustache:

dragonfang33
Group Admin

The Spanish American War: First Intervention was good as well

3116669 I can't get enough of "The World at War".

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9