The Bionicle Group 241 members · 63 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Toa Coy
Group Admin

I watched the available episodes at the time of writing this, and while it made me happy to see project from lego get made but it was not as good as I hoped. First I'm going to start with what prologue gave use, Narmoto does a turaga Vakama and tells the first year's story and history to the young members of the Okotans while we see the online animations cut to fit his tale and narrated by him. At the end of this prologue we see the Toa in their 2016 sets. We then move onto the next full 22 minute episode with Ekimu talking to the toa about their powers when the remains of the skull spiders and the undead army limb into the area with the spiders taking control of the walkers and trying to put up a fight. Only of the Toa to mop the floor with them. One spider got hit into a trap and we met Umarak, which if you think of him as a starscream with some backbone the voice is not too bad. So after learning some form of connection with elemental Rahi, I know they are creatures but until proven otherwise these are rahi with powers and higher intelligence, the Toa go and look for them. Aside from some character moments and a nice jump scare for Pohatu it was the same 3 act structure at the same time; 1. find and interact with the rahi, 2. have a fight to test each other's strength, 3. see the common ground and connection then combine. We see more of the development of Lewa's bound with Uxar and Umarak using his...shadow power...no really he uses shadows like Ebon from Static shock. And the first episode ends with the Toa and rahi combining with the new golden masks back at the city. Second episode reveal that one Toa is unwilling to combine due to fear of their species and from there they go to the location of the mask of control and things happen.

Now for what I like about this and what needs improvement. For what it is worth, this being made was high up there, and the cell shading of this makes me think some of it is 2D with the 3D Toa and characters in front of it. The voice acting is good, not great with the under tone of electronic sounds, and most of the voices fit. Gali has a female voice actor that is not acting like a token female but an equal on the team. The Makuta's voice is also good but I miss when Lee Tockar did his voice. I also love the background actions of some of the younger Okotans, even a fire and water pair that may or may not be a call back to Jaller and Hahli.

That is all I have to say is good, now for what is not too good. First off the somewhat crossed character traits for the Toa, the only three that stayed the same is Gali, Lewa, and Ouna while Kopaka is not as cold, Tahu is more free sprited, and Pohatu is too serious. Now while it not bad to have some change but I like how Pohatu was a free sprite in G1 and too see him act like Tahu is a bit jarring.

All in all I would say this is a good show, but I would like more development with this place and the characters like names for the other Okotans.

Edit: and here is a more detail and spoiler on the series

Metroid Prime
Group Admin

In the episode 2 trailer I thought Makuta sounded like Frank Walker.

Imagine my disappointment when that was't the case.

5090841 Gali's voice reminds me of Hali a hell of alot,

Toa Coy
Group Admin

5090841 new blood is always good but I hear ya

5091233 I can see that, Toa version of Hahli at the very least

Metroid Prime
Group Admin

Also, Umaraks ability to travel via shadows reminded me of the Dark Hunter Shadow Stealers power to use shadows as doors

While I haven't done much with the new Bionicle story, it seems dumbed down to the original story. I just hope the new Makuta has the same epic ness that Teridax had. When he says sometimes you have to lose to win, in relation to his plan, it made him the wonderful villain we love.

Toa Coy
Group Admin

5091496 neat did not noticed that

5091707 your not wrong but from what books I read and seen with the series it is more of wide pool and shallow dept. That being said there is still mystery as to who hide the mask of control and how the Rahi knew of the place and are connected to the Toa

I've seen it, and it has kept some of my hopes and fears of the show. Hopes, it has kept the original mystery of the Toa and the Makuta; the mix of 2d and 3d animation, while a little weird at first, grew on me; the story was interesting; and some of the action was dynamic (especially when showing the Toa using their powers in a race and so on). The voice acting is alright for what it is, and it is nice to see some new blood, but I think I had my nostalgia goggles on when I heard them because I wanted them to be a little like the voices in the movie trilogy.

However, I'm still unsure about the facial expressions (or lack of them), because I'm more used to the masks in the 2000's movie trilogy and how expressive they were; some of the characterizations don't exactly match the 2015 web animations as I hoped, since some of the Toa's characters felt a little too basic and camp at times (think MMPR), which can show in the dialogue sometimes; and I was hoping for a little more from the fight scenes (like what Vakama vs Matau in Web of Shadows), but that's asking a little too much.

There is other stuff I find a bit weird, but they're more nitpicks and have no overall impact on my feelings for the show. It's not perfect, but there is a lot to enjoy, and it is an interesting start to a mini-series that I hope will become more of a full-blown TV show. If that does happen, perhaps we will get more interesting things from our heroes and more characterization from Ekimu.

Raika out.

Toa Coy
Group Admin

5095774 all good points, and I would love to see this as a full series like Ninjago or Chima

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9