SlipperPutty and co. fanfic reviews. 13 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
SlipperPutty
Group Admin

Hey guys,

So for the review for next week, you guys will need to decide on a story to review (I've put some suggestions down below, but you don't necessarily need to choose one of them; just make sure you have a story). Then, if I recall correctly, everyone will send their comments about that story to Pinkie Primus by a certain date of his choosing. He will then write a "script", record the video, and send the video file(s) to wargame. Wargame will sufficiently edit the video, then send the complete file to me to post on the 10th or 11th. Let me know if this sounds OK and if it doesn't, what needs to change.

Stories to pick from (or pick one of your own if you like):

Zombie Plan by Red Letters: Comedy/Random/Adventure/Alternate Universe/Human, 1,505 words.

Connected by sparklek8: Dark/Slice of Life/Alternate Universe, 1,483 words.

The Wonders of Skyrim by Mooner_178: Crossover/Adventure/Alternate Universe, 3,064 words.

Questions? Comments? Fireballs of mass destruction? Let me know!

SlipperPutty

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

So yeah... the stories...

Zombie Plan seems like it would have a lot of references that would go straight over my head, and if he can't even be bothered to look up the spelling of draconequus for his description it seems like it'd be an ordeal to wade through...

Connected looks ok, with the added bonus of being complete.

The Wonders of Skyrim has only upvotes and I know Skyrim pretty well, but it's also the longest...

A couple I found are:

Legend of the DJ by RainbowAura9000,: comedy/slice of life 1,376 words. Looks like it'd be ok but with the added extra of an OC named Neon Lights that I will presume is ripe for satire.

Twelve by TheSuperpony: comedy/slice of life 1,813 words. I like the idea of using the zodiac ponies as they seemed to be forgotten pretty quickly, plus the fic has mostly good feedback so far.

Let me know what you think!

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

757559 Considering my fairly quick look-over of it, Twelve seems like a good story. I'd vote for that.

Now concerning comments...when do you want those?

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

That would depend on when wargame wants the videos for editing? Fyi, I'm completely out of action all of Wednesday and a significant chunk of the weekend due to certain circumstances, so sooner rather than later I suppose...

Wargame
Group Admin

757581 Well my vote is definitely for Twelve, seems like the one I would be most interested in.

757609 As soon as possible would be best, I'll be pretty busy so as soon as the video could get to me would be best.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

757609 758662 I vote we get on the road with Twelve then. Pinkie, can you create a gDoc like you did for the most recent review so that all of us can comment on the same one? That works extremely well to have everyone's comments in the same place.

Wargame
Group Admin

758813 Hey I've been wondering if we've been messaging these authors before we review their stories, seems like something they might want to know about in advance.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

I'll go to twelve.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

758826 I personally have not asked any authors of the stories we've reviewed if we would have "permission" to review them. I don't feel that it's necessary; after all, the authors are putting their stories out basically for critique anyway. However, if you think that we've offended some authors because of our reviews, then we should start doing that.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

759030 It only seems ethical and professional. Like I said before, we don't want to discourage any authors, especially if it's their first attempt at writing; it's like you make a go-cart, and I, an expert go-carter, points out all the crap wrong with it. Obviously, the response might be "well okay, I can accept that.", but realistically, the author will, indeed, get discouraged to an extent or certain degree.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

So... as of today Twelve now has 3 chapters and 5,342 words... shall we just do the first chapter?

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

759262 Yeah, I personally wouldn't want to review a 5000 word story, so let's just review the first chapter. We can also "glance over" the other two chapters and see if they're consistent in quality.

759208 Ok, I see where you're coming from, so we'll initiate that as a practice. Pinkie, if you can let the author of Twelve know about our review, that would be great.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Sent him a quick message, here is the gDoc.

I'll get to looking at it later tonight.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

759578 Just finished adding my comments.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Likewise, I've also responded to a couple of your comments for followup if you'd like to take a look. I'll begin formulating a script once opal and wargame leave comments.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

759960 comments are up.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16