Rainbow Dash is Best Pony! 83 members · 393 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I have a story idea I think has potential, but I'm (1) taking a break from story-writing and (2) this is way darker than my comfort zone. I'd like to throw it out there for any authors who really like Rainbow Dash, and... can write a story where she's brutally murdered. :rainbowderp:

Rough outline:
Rainbow Dash and Rarity are in Canterlot, enjoying a nice lunch together. Rarity's in Canterlot to pick up a check from some shop selling some of her designs. They talk about stuff, keeping it light. They idly observe gryphons, minotaurs, and even a few diamond dogs. Dash asks if those are the ones that grabbed Rarity, and Rarity replies that no, the ones who grabbed her are serving time. Then they're off to the bank to deposit Rarity's check, after complaints from Rainbow Dash that banks are boring.

They get the the bank, get into line for a teller, making conversation, when they hear a ruckus behind them. It's diamond dogs, and they're telling everypony to lie down, etc.

Rainbow Dash half-way charges at them, but they've already taken hostages. She overhears that:
(1) they plan to kill one hostage, regardless, so that everypony knows they're serious.
(2) they want money, and the release of the diamond dogs that captured Rarity in "Dog and Pony Show"

Rarity doesn't hear any of this.

Rainbow Dash thinks some of the diamond dogs might recognize Rarity. Dash acts like a complete, egotistical jerk to both Rarity and the diamond dogs, ensuring that when the time comes for a hostage to die, Dash is picked. Dash's parting words to Rarity are that Rarity's not to blame after all.

Diamond dogs are still holding knives to ponies' throats, when they march Dash over to the bank entrance. Dash, with her speed, could probably escape, but then they'd just kill another hostage instead. There's a hope spot where the negotiator pleads with the diamond dogs, saying they don't have to do this. And then she gets her throat cut where a crowd of horrified onlookers see it happen. Her last thoughts are pain, terror, and wondering if her friends will ever figure out that she was being loyal to Rarity and to a bunch of other ponies she never even knew the names of, rather than giving in to her more obnoxious qualities.

The title of the fic -- "What You Are in the Dark"'

tl;dr: Rainbow Dash sacrifices herself in an outwardly ignominious fashion, knowing she might well be thought an egotistical idiot by those she's saving, but compelled to do so out of loyalty.

A very interesting take on the dark aspect. I really like it. :twilightsmile:

I really like it

Thanks! It's all yours if you like it. It's a bittersweet thing, but, like I said, way darker than my comfort zone extends to.

I posted to a smaller Rainbow Dash group hoping that the readers / authors who really, really like the character were more likely to be members than with a larger group.

I hate the idea... Isn't there already ENOUGH fucking Dash death fics? And I find it ironic that you posted this idea for "anyone who loves Dash" - surely, anyone who loves Dash would hate this idea. I mean, seriously? Why would we want to read about something we loved dying horrifically?

You realize downvotes aren't for comments that you disagree with, right? :ajbemused:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree; Dash's death is not intended to be horrific in this case. It is supposed to be heroic. You ask why we would want to read about something you love dying? This fic isn't about relishing in Dash's death, but rather her heroic actions leading up to it. The original post of the forum said it itself: this fic is bittersweet. It details both Dash's great deeds and her downfall.

If you ask why you would want to read about a character you love falling from grace and, yes, dying horrifically, I recommend reading some Shakespeare.

As much as I love the concept, ideas aren't things that I'm running low on.

*Checks fanfic list*

That's why I wanted someone who loves the character. The author should really feel pain here.
I understand your objection -- it's darker than I read, much less write.
But it is intended as a celebration of her. Sacrificing her life, not in a blaze of glory, not expecting statues or even gratitude, but in a way that expresses pretty much the ultimate distance that loyalty can go. It'd be her at her most heroic, in the way that only the Element of Loyalty can be.

Thanks for the kind words anyhow. :twilightsmile: I might try posting it to a more popular Dashie group to see if anyone wants to.

I think I need someone to write this so I don't have to. :rainbowhuh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8