Super Mario 155 members · 65 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Most people who are familiar with Super Mario know about the Power Star. Its Been one of the series staples for years now!

When the Shine Sprite first appeared in Super Mario Sunshine, and several other Gamecube Mario Games a few fans/players were confused about its purpose or how it is different from a Power Star, I'm going to discuss the differences/possibilities here!

The Power of the Stars have been with Mario since the beginning of his journeys through the mushroom kingdom in two different ways.

Through his first Major Platformer game in the Real World.

And when he was born, Mario was amoung the prophetic Star Children.

In the Platformer games, a Starman/Powerstar would be harnessed by Mario to Achieve Invisibility, open gateways to other Worlds, and to travel the Galaxy! It would not be an understatement to say that the Power Stars Have been more useful to Mario and the Gang than the Shine Sprite.

However the Shine Sprite has a significant amount of power that has served not just Mario, but the rest of the civilians of the Mario World well!

In Super Mario Sunshine, the Shine Sprites were the Very Fabric of life amoung the citizens of Isle Delfino, when they were stolen the entire Island was cast into darkness as if it were not supposed to support the tropical lifestyle in the first place.

Shine Sprites also play a significant role in Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door. Mario could not use them himself, but when he gathers enough and takes it to Merlon, a skilled Magician, he could power up his partner characters so in a sense they could level up alongside him.

Also In the game, there is a primary feature where if you match 3 symbols that you get whenever you perform a successful action command.

If you get 3 Power Stars you only gain the power to do Mario's special attacks that he unlocks in game.

However 3 Shine Sprite Max out all the Stats.

CONCLUSION!

Overall, If I could summarize the difference between a Shine Sprite and a Power Star, it would be the kind of Power that they Represent, and who could harness this power.

Power Stars are Gathered and Harnessed by the Star Children to suit their goals, Bowser Steals them to place seals on doors, and render the other Star Children powerless, while Mario usually takes this power back and thwarts Bowser. The Nature of the Power Star is focused around the events of said Star Children, and Hardly anyone else.

Shine Sprites, serve a different purpose, Shine Sprites are harnessed and controlled by a population of Piantas, Magical Wizards, and Mario's Allys!

Shine Sprites don't appear often in Mario games very often, so this could mean several things.

1. Shine Sprites are rare and difficult to use.
2. Star Children are incapable of harnessing a Shine Sprite alone for anything other than inventory space.
3. Shine Sprites resemble Harmony and Teamwork!

What is your stance on the matter? Post your thoughts below!

That's a good point you made about the Star Children being able to harness the power of the stars to their own whim. Shine Sprites are a bit more uncontrollable, as indicated by the roulette used in TTYD. However, there is a certain point in a certain battle where the player is guaranteed a Shine Sprite roll (The 3rd Phase of the Shadow Queen battle, where Mario and his allies all have their hopes rekindled by the wishes of everyone they came across on their journey). It would make sense to say that the Shine Sprites are the will of the beings of the Marioverse.

Another interesting thing to note is the Star Road featured in Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG. According to the lore, anyone can make a wish upon the Star Road and have it come true. Would this mean that Power Stars are not solely usable by the Star Children as well?

So, your point stands regarding Power Stars vs. Shine Sprites; anyone can use the power of the stars (but the Star Children are much more adept at using their powers) but Shine Sprites are much harder to use, but have more potent powers.

I'll be honest, I've never played Super Mario RPG before, and although it is heavily implied, Rosalina might not be a star child herself.

So, while Star Child exclusivity can be ruled out, I think Power stars might primarily bring power for a single individual or purpose, like a wish.

If I am hearing correctly, the star rod fulfills a wish for a single individual, even if the individual wishes for something for his/her friends.

And Rosalinas Spaceship uses star power in pursuit of other stars for her particular needs.

I think a safe bet would be to say that Power Stars give boosts of power to, and from a single individual, while Shine Sprites power comes from a unity between friends and a community.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3