Authors Helping Authors 2,466 members · 8,681 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Oh dear, give me a moment to correct this mistake.

Alright, so I've begun a Seinfeld crossover, and so far I feel like I'm doing a very poor job at writing this in general. If I write too much, it won't have the right pace. But if I write too little, then it feels underdeveloped and lacking description.

Does anyone know of a good balance between the two? Or better still, a similarly themed fic that I could use as a guide on just how much I should write?

I should be the last person to give advice on this, but it's late and I can't sleep, and sleep is for the weak too :pinkiecrazy:

If you're writing a Seinfeld crossover, the key thing to remember is that you're not writing just comedy, it's also slice of life. These kinds of stories generally are written using a parallel structure - you have two plots going on where the characters have some objective to meet, and some conflict occurs to make the characters fail in that objective or accomplish it in some ironic way. The conflict is the comedy, and the climax is usually when the two character plots meet.

Do an outline to map all that out. Hope it helps!

You know what, I hadn't thought of it like that at all. Of course, I completely forgot about the conflict for Jerry between going to the funeral or the baseball game in 'The Pony Remark', which I'm parodying to start off with. (Need I explain why? xD)

It makes me feel silly that I've spent two days now on this chapter, without even realizing the obvious structure that I needed to apply. :facehoof:

Fear not. We all have such moments. And sometimes an outside perspective is what you need to realize something that should be obvious.

And that's how Authors helping Authors was made!

Magnets. Comedy works because of magnets.

How do they work? Nopony knows. All we know is, they just do.

Now read that in Neil Patrick Harris's Morgan Freeman's voice.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5