The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 55 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 55
Razorbeam
Group Admin

If both duelists involved would kindly let me know that they are ready, this duel can begin. If one of the dueling parties does not report in (ready or otherwise) before Wednesday [1/23/2013], they will forfeit the match. If neither report in, both will forfeit.

Whether you are ready or not, please make it known in an ((OOC)) post here in this thread.

This duel was concluded [1/26/2013] with Fury of the Tempest as the victor by TKO.

(Ready)

Arcantos found himself to be much calmer then before as he walked down the tunnel into the stadium. His victory over Valrek and the battle itself making him more used to the arena... however, he was still nervous... and he was no closer to finding the answer he had been seeking.

However, he pushed those thoughts apart as he stepped into the arena to the roar of the crowds. Advancing to the starting point, before turning and giving the royal box a salute, just like he had done the first time. Respect shown, Arcantos turned to face his 2nd opponent.

((Ready, although my posts might be a bit infrequent for today))

Khlin's usual smile immediately dropped.
Well, it was nice while it lasted
"You must be my opponent. I hope I can at least give you a small challenge before succumbing."

Arcantos quietly examined his opponent. Earth pony, so most likely strong and sturdy, but less likely to have flight or magic, carried some type of meele weapon as well. This information was enough for Arcantos to decide his initial strategy in the battle, he just hoped he wasn't in for any surprise... and the terrain didn't work against him.

Arcantos showed no reaction when his opponent spoke, simply saying. "I'm sorry, but why would you not be a challenge?"

"I'm just gonna level with you on this. I'm nothing special. No magic, no crazy background story, no blessing from a deity. All I have is this ax."
Khlin brandishes the weapon, making sure Arcantos gets a good look at it.
"It has a little enchantment on it that let's it utilize the energy from any blood it touches. And that's the problem; you don't have nearly as much blood for me to use. Combine that with your magic, which'll fairly easily keep me out of range, and I've pretty much lost before the battle even starts."

(Misread the initial post, thought you where saying my character wouldn't be a challenge. I honestly did not see this coming)

Arcantos was surprised to hear this summation from his opponent, let alone so bluntly admitting not just his full abilities, but also how that he was most likely to lose. "An accurate estimation on my powers." He said neutrally. "Through you forgot to factor in my flying ability, which will it even easier for me to stay out of your range. Hopefully. I assume however, that just because the odds seem stacked highly against you, that you will not surrender?"

"Of course not! I came to the tournament for some fun, and I intend to have it. Even if 'fun' happens to be me getting beaten to a pulp."

"Well, I apologize for not being able to give you a match you truly deserve." Arcantos said, truly sorry for not been able to give this earth pony a proper fight. "However, my intentions are not to have fun. They are to win, to find myself. And I will use whatever advantage I can take to win, even if it makes the fight boring for the adiuance and completely one-sided."

"Well then, may this fight give you what you seek."

((Using this to make sure Razorbeam knows we're ready.))

"I doubt it will, but I thank you for wishing so." Arcantos said, honestly and from the heart. Already growing to highly respect his opponent.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

644212, 644218
((I am opening this duel. You may now fight one another. Please follow this link to see the list of judges.

You must conclude your duel, either by killing blow (judge's rule), forfeit, or voting decision. A vote will be held by default in the event that the duel is not completed by 12:00 a.m. [-5:00 GMT] on Saturday [1/26/2013].

Behold, the arena for Round 2!

That's right: canyons, nasty sharp rocks, and lava. Fun, right?

Fight with honor!))

As had happened in the first round, all throats barely contained eager shouts and cries as Aurus rose, commanding the attention of all.

"We are left now with victors eager for further glory! Though many have fallen, they fought valiantly and have gained in experience more than they have lost in this tournament! Even still, only one will rise in the end, and I am eager to see who it will be! Perhaps it will be Khlin, or perhaps Arcantos. Only ferocity and fate will decide!" he shouted loudly.

The shouts that followed were just young enough, still building, for his next proclamation to be heard, his booming voice shaking the stones around them, and rippling the pools of magma.

"Begin the match!"

And like the sea of hungry roars that had washed over them in the first round, so now did the cries of the crowd deafen them to even their own first blows.

(Wow... that is going to be HELL for Khlin... I feel sorry for him)

Arcantos was rather shocked at this transformation, he knew that Aurus - and the magic of arena - was powerful. But this... not just tall spikes of rock... but freaking lava as well? Talk about dangerous and deadly. Just being near them would hurt you, but if you ended up in one... well, would they be able to save you?

Arcantos pushed these thoughts aside and he unfurled his wings. Lifting up into the sky as fast as he could. The higher, the better. Less chance of his opponent using the tall spires of rocks to reach him... and with his magic as it was. Distance would make little difference to him.

(Don't be too sure, I do still have a couple tricks up my sleeve. Anywho, you can decide who makes the first move)
Khlin removed his ax from its holster and gave it a quick twirl.
"If you aren't going to entertain the crowd, then I guess I will"
Khlin's smile returned in force, giving him the look of a crazed pony.

((Approved by Razorbeam))
Khlin rests his ax on his foreleg and applies just enough pressure to begin drawing blood
The weapon begins to glow a very dim red and give off a low humming sound.
"I never said it had to be someone else's blood."
Khlin then takes a defensive stance and waits for his opponents first move.

(Judge: Medicshy

Health: 100% Mana: 95% Stamina: 98%)

Arcantos hadn’t travelled far enough away to not hear what Khlien had said, and took this information away. It meant that he had a little trick up his sleeve... but at the same time. It also meant that in order to use this trick - and to offer any challenge to the changeling that the earth pony wished to do - he needed to draw blood from himself, weakening him over time.

Leveling off some height above the arena, Arcantos look down at his opponent. Still able to distinguish him clearly, but not close enough to be able to see his facial features that what, and shouts would be required to hear one enough most likely... but that didn’t matter. Arcantos could see his opponent, so he could launch his attack.

Action: Without moving from his hovering position, the changeling's horn was covered in a dark blue aura for a few moments before Arcantos struck. A surge of his magic gathering in his horn before lancing down at his opponent in a lighting bolt, travelling at thousands of miles per an hour.

Comment posted by Dr Bob deleted Jan 23rd, 2013

(Excuse me. But how does one jump backwards and avoid a lightnng bolt that is travelling at several THOUSAND miles per an hour, and how does one use a non-existant blast - as lighting bols don't release blasts - to further his jump? Not to mention the entire 'shockwave boost' thing IS implausiable... Mythbusters proved that.

Both Kapuchu and Man Gell agree that the forcewave/shockwave/blast was impossible)

((When you're on and able to talk, please discuss this post in the Judge's bickering thread. It doesn't seem possible in some aspects.))

((Alright, since I messed up with my last post and created a whole chain reaction that just got a bunch of people riled up, I deleted that post. This one, I believe, is more realistic. sorry again, but this IS my first actual duel. My first opponent forfeit before we got anywhere. Thanks for being patient with me.))

((Approved by Dracmatais))
Health: 90% Mana: 100% Stamina: 95%
Khlin only had time to think to himself before the energy hit.
Not good
The lightning rocked through him, forcing him to his knees.
Reaction:
With a good deal of visible effort and pain Khlin righted himself. He began shambling towards the nearest earthen spire, gaining speed as his sturdy body quickly recovered from the attack.

Judge: Swift Evan

Health: 100% Mana: 90% Stamina: 98%

Arcantos felt a grim sense of satisfaction as his bolt hit his opponent head on, forcing him to his knees. As Khiln recovered, the changeling guard began focusing his magic once more, his horn lighting up and he prepared to attack again.

Action: When the earth pony began scrambling to a nearby earth pillar, Arcantos circled round from his position, making it take longer for the earth pony to reach a place where Arcantos couldn’t hit him... and as he wasn’t looking back at him, he wouldn’t know his opponent had moved... as well as not seeing Arcantos launch the second lightning bolt at him. Confident it would hit. After all, his opponent has no prior warning and even if he did glance back, the lightning bolt would likely hit him before he could react.

((Approved by Dracmatais. Crafter approved it without the stamina loss, but let's make it more interesting))

Health: 80% Mana: 100% Stamina: 90%
Reaction:
Khlin could feel the static building in the air.
Not again
He leapt forward with all his might, but, having not fully recovered from the first blast, it wasn't enough. The bolt of arcane energy struck him as he left the ground, causing his body to tense. The momentum from his jump rolled him landed him behind the spire, but without control over his body, the landing was rough.
Action: As soon as he'd recovered, Khlin dragged his ax across his forelimb. The strain that had been put on it from the battle thus far had caused more blood to seep out of the cut, and he wasn't going to let it go to waste. The blood soaked into the blood, causing its glow to brighten and the hum to become more noticeable. With a quick flick of his hoof, the rear blade slide over the top of the handle, forming a single, larger blade on the front end of the ax.
Khlin turned to face the spire, waiting for his opponent to come from either side.
This time, I'll be ready

Judge: Medicshy

Health: 100% Mana: 85% Stamina: 95%

‘That’s twice now I’ve got him’Arcantos thought in satisfaction as his opponent scrambled behind the rock spire. ‘Not exactly the most exciting match at the moment, but I’m in control. That’s what matters, and I’m going to stay in control’ The changeling mused of how his opponent had scrambled behind the spire... and decided to give him a nasty surprise.

Action: As his horn glowed once more, Arcantos moved forwards. Instead of circling round the spire to reach his opponent - as most people expect - Arcantos simply flew over the spire and launched a lightning bolt down at his opponent. Hopefully, his strategy of going over instead of going round will delay his opponent that vital few seconds for his lightning bolt to strike home.

Current Stats:
Health: 80% Mana: 100% Stamina: 84%
Reaction:
After having felt the static build up before Arcantos' attacks twice before, Khlin noticed this one before it was too late. Still, not seeing where his opponent was, he dove towards the spire, hoping it could protect him. He dug the point his blade into the stone to hold himself up, only to almost fall as a thunderclap sounded, its streak of lightning hitting were he had stood moments before. Tracing the trail upwards, he saw his foe.
Action: Khlin pressed a button on the side of the blade's hilt. With an ever increasing hum, the blade's glow pulsed quickly before discharging all of its accumulated energy from the point. The blast caused the weapon to discharge a puff of steam and revert to its ax form, but also propelled Khlin into the air, directly at Arcantos.

Judges: Nathan Traveler, Dracmatais

Health: 100% Mana: 85% (-8 if action is successful) Stamina: 95%

Arcantos frowned when his attack missed. It always frustrated him when his lighting missed, or at least. That his opponent managed to dodge it. Still, at least his opponent was giving him some of a challenge...

Then his eyes widened in surprise when his opponent came flying at him. Quickly however, this changed into a smirk. ’Brave... but foolish. The air is my domain and in this battle field... you’ve just gave me victory’ Arcantos didn’t even try to get out of the way, his horn glowing as he prepared his next spell... lightning based. But instead of being a bolt for damage, Arcantos was isolating and enhancing its stunning effect. Not the best thing to attack from afar... but this was not longer from afar.

Action: When his opponent was close enough, Arcantos made to grab him. His plan was simple. Step 1. Grab opponent. Step 2. Use opponent’s momentum to spin. Step 3. Unleash stunning spell through hands. Step 4. Throw opponent back down... particularly one of those lava streams.

The reason behind this plan was simple, by spinning, his opponent’s momentum would be conserved, then enhanced by gravity, if not Arcantos’s own efforts. Then, the spell with stun him for a 5, 10 seconds... not long. But as it own took about 3 to 4 seconds for his opponent to reach him, it’ll be more than enough for his opponent to hit the lava (or a mage to save him)... at least. That’s the intention.

((Approved by Nathan Traveler.
No reaction for me this time around))
Health: 80% Mana: 100% Stamina: 84%
Khlin noticed that Arcantos wasn't trying to get out of the way.
Perfect
Action:
Khlin drew his ax back, ready to use the bottom of the front blade to hook onto his enemy. The plan was simple, he'd impact Arcantos and use the curvature of the ax to hook onto him in the process, then gravity would take care of the rest.
He was going back to the ground soon, and he planned on taking Arcantos with him, no matter the cost.

(How on earth does the blade hook onto someone? I'm pretty sure that curve is too small to go over any limbs... Not to mention the spin would dislodge it)

((The ax is basically a down-sized version of this one. As you can see, the front blade is curved in a way that would allow the bottom of it to hook onto someone. As for spinning dislodging it, maybe. It'd still hook into you in the first place though, so I'd at least get some damage out of it.
I really don't think it would though, since you'd be spinning me WITH my momentum, correct? That means the ax would be dug in at a certain angle, and you'd be increasing the directional force into you. If anything I'd think it would make it worse.))

(I'm still a little annoyed that you didn't actually reply, simply saying my character is going to do this... and well, look at the picture. A downsized version would find it difficult to hook in... probably a second or two and as Arc will be stunning him quickly in order to stop and response and the start of the spin will probably disorientate him... I don't think you'll be able to hook him. What you trying to hook onto, anyhow?)

((I didn't react because I chose not to. I feel my best option is to continue on course. As for hooking onto you, I just launched myself with a blast. I'm pretty sure my momentum would be able to embed the ax into whatever part of you I may hit, especially since you won't be trying to diminish it.))

(... Oh right... so your planning to jam the axe into me and use that to hook into me? ... Is that even possible? I mean, you'll have to slide it down in order to actually hook onto something won't you? I mean, the spin might slid it in at the start. But during the end with the throw... it'll slide out...

So... can I say my character grabs your character in my next post either way?)

((I'd assume it's possible. The ax has a point, and your body can certainly be dug into by said point. Like a pickaxe, you just hit something hard and the point get's dug in. As for it sliding out, I don't think so. The centrifugal force of the spin would be trying to push it out on the broad, un-sharpened side, which would require more force than the initial entry of the point.
To clarify, just in case I'm doing a bad job of describing what I'm going for here, his hoof is drawn back, along his side. Think of it being like a pegasus with bladed wings coming at you.))

(So he's going for a sideways swing at the main body?)

((Pretty much))

(I see... and you know that my character is flying like a pegasus right? Not feet down, head up as some bipedals are shown to fly?)

((Yup. All that means is that your chest/main body, aka my target, is broadly displayed for me.))

So... if I take the hit, I'll be allowed to grab your character and pull of my move without a hitch, correct? Save for the hook thing that is)

((that's pretty much what I expected to happen, but the judges still get the final call, not me))

Judge: Twilight at Dusk

Health: 90% Mana: 77% Stamina: 88%

Reaction: After seeing his opponent ready to strike, Arcantos decided to start his spin early, using his wings to rising his body into an upright position... however, as he did so, his push against the air lowered, allowing gravity to take him hold and pull him down. Meaning that when his opponent struck out, instead of hitting him full on in the torso area, the top of the axe cut across his chest, leaving a bleeding wound, but leaving Arcantos in an advantageous position.

Action: The momentum of Arcantos spin continued as his arms shot out, grabbing his opponent firmly, the link combining the two momentum's, speeding up the turn that now both were taking. As this happened, Arcantos unleashed the spell he had been preparing, the stun going through his hands into his opponent. Giving Arcantos the time he needed to look back... aim... and as the spin came to 180 degrees, threw his opponent in the direction of one of the lava streams as he continued to spin and drop towards the ground.

((Approved by _Medicshy
Also, you said you had hands in that last post.))
Current stats:
Health: 68% Mana: 100% Stamina: 80%
Gotcha
Khlin thought to himself with a smirk as his ax absorbed the blood it had drawn, giving off a subtle red glow. At least, he tried to smirk. The realization that he was paralyzed quickly spread over him.
Reaction:
Nononononononono
Khlin struggled to move, falling ever faster.
He thanked the heavens for his resilient body as he quickly regained his ability to move.
As swiftly as he could, he switched his blade to its sword form and released the energy from the blood he'd drawn in a small blast from the weapon's tip, firing it mere feet from the lava's surface, sending some chunks of the molten stone into the air.
While he barely managed to make it to solid land with the force of the blast, the landing was anything but soft. With the wind knocked out of him, he couldn't scream in agony as one of the lava chunks landed on his shoulder.
Khlin shook in pain as he stood back up. He took his blade and soaked up the blood he'd lost in the impact, including the blood that continued to flow from his first cut.
Action:
Khlin switched the blade into its sword mode once more. With a roar of anger, pain and even a bit of joy, he let the red glow encompass his blade as he slammed it into the ground, releasing the energy. The force of the swing sent dust clouds into the air, obscuring him from sight.

(So... your saying that because of his S in Vit and perhaps S in strength he's able to recover quickly? Even through when spells are concerned, its to do with Willpower, which your a D on? Even if the S in Vit affects his recovery, the Willpower would neturalize it to a B, meaning he won't recover in time

And yes. My character has hands. Well noticed.)

((It was also just approved by Twilight at Dusk with 10 health and 4 stamina lost, instead of Medishy's 12 and 3 respectively. We can argue this with the judges, but considering the fact that Khlin has recovered from 2 lightning bolts fairly quickly, I wouldn't say this is a stretch.
Also, I'll edit in the 4 stamina lost instead of 3, just because having both highest amounts would satisfy both judges, methinks,))

658286 ((I was gonna say you could take Twi's stats for both, but either way))

(... So when you say argue this with the judges, you mean take it to the judge bickering thread?

And how long would you say it takes for the weapon to change form? 1-2 seconds?)

((If you'd like to take it there, go ahead. I have extra-curricular activities I must see to shortly, though, so I won't be around for a few hours.
As for switching form, it goes fairly quickly. Right around the .75 second mark.))

658425>>658415
((Okay, the ruling is: Dr. Bob, after reviewing, you should not have gotten a full action and reaction to the stun. We are retconning your previous action, but allowing you to recover before hitting the lava with just under a second to impact (about .78 if I had to give a specific time). Send your new move to more than 1 judge if possible, and best of luck to both fighters.))

(And he said it takes .75 of a second to change his weapon's mode... that means that heat from the lava will hurt like a bitch, if the mages wouldn't step in to stop him from plumeting into the lava before hand...)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 55