The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
Razorbeam
Group Admin

As always, this is an official thread for the benefit of all participants. Please do not post in this thread.

The games will be commencing tomorrow evening [1/7/2013] at 6 p.m. Eastern US time, which is my time zone. For ease of conversion, this is 11:00 p.m. UTC. Games will be open every weekday at the same time from then on, and run until 10:00 p.m. Eastern [3:00 a.m. UTC]. This will allow four hours a day for dueling posts and processing.

Dueling processing will be dependent partially on the presence of the judges and the dueling parties. At least myself and one other judge for the duel must be present to process the posts.

Being in a forum format, the posting process should be very user friendly. Posts may be sent to the judges at any time, regardless of whether or not they are online. However, posts will not processed, or permitted to be posted in the duel threads unless during dueling hours. Long story short, you may write your duel posts at any time and send them to the judges whenever you like, but you may not post them until dueling hours. As always, judicial approval is necessary to post.

The ladder will be released later tonight, outlining the duels of all contestants. At this point, any contestants who will be unable to participate will forfeit their first-round fights, and no substitutions will be made. In other words, with the release of the ladder all participants are locked into their slots, and will forfeit if unable to participate.

Participation is lenient. You will not be penalized for reasonable time between posts. There is, however, a limit to how long a duel may last: all first-round duels must complete by the end of dueling hours on Friday [1/11/2013]. The weekend will be used to update the ladder and roster as necessary, and to allow contestants to prepare for the second round.

I believe five days of posting interaction to be a reasonable amount of time to complete duels, even with people in different time-zones, working, etc. In the event that an entire day passes where one of the duelists does not update the duel, a warning will be issued. If two full days pass where a contestant does not post, the fight will be decided, as missing two out of fives days of the dueling complicates matters. Arrangements can be made before-hand if both duelists agree that the missing days do not matter.

To summarize, you should do your best to post during each of the five days, or until your duel is completed. Missing two full days of dueling will disqualify you, unless prior arrangements are made with myself and your dueling partner.

It is not the duty of any duelists to inform their other judges of such accommodations. Come directly to me, and I will let all of the other involved parties know.

Send me a private message with any questions regarding these rules, or any concerns.

Also, I will need volunteers to act as judges. To act as a judge, your status as a contestant is not required. This means that if you are simply here to watch, but would like to be more involved, you are allowed to be a judge.

If you wish to be a judge, it would be a huge help to me. Send me a PM with "Judge Volunteer" as the subject line, and I will let you know tomorrow before dueling hours which fight(s) you will be assisting me with.

Now then, on to the main event, eh? Here comes the mock duel I promised you all, so that you can see roughly what the duel threads will look like, and what will happen. I will list not only the character posts. but the rulings that the judges would have made as well. In a real duel thread, the judge-posts will not be made, but here they should give you a feel for what kinds of things the judges should do or say regarding various actions.

Alrighty, off we go. Let's open the ceremonies with an OC we don't see very often, shall we? Or perhaps two?

((HAZAH!!!))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

The stands were filled to the brim with creatures, changelings no longer predominant as had been the case with other events in the grand arena. The entire city was full, in fact, with creatures atop buildings, standing in the streets, and even lining the clifftops high above the city in order to get the best views they could of enormous illusory screens being projected by powerful mages that revealed the interior of the crowded coliseum.

Nothing that happened within would be hidden from anyone's eyes, even those without a front-row seat. Truly, it felt as if the entire world could, and would, be watching.

Within the arena, however, the mood was most powerful. Here sat the most enthusiastic spectators, eager to see the battles of world-wide might. Even with no competitors standing on the open ground currently, the massive arena practically shook with the thousands and thousands of voices clamoring over one another.

On place in the arena drew the eye more than any other: the raised box of King Aurus and his company, which sat near to the edge of the ring, providing the greatest view of all. The box did little to exclude the seating of others though, for rows of creatures lined its roof and sides.

Within sat the king and his close friends, along with the Princesses. No guards stood with them, for all were lining the edge of the arena. The most powerful mages of pony and changeling kind had been appointed at strategic points to ensure that no wayward spells, or projectiles, would be permitted to enter the crowd.

Flags of various races, tribes, and clans billowed in the crowd, many creatures coming to cheer for preferred champions. Truly the coliseum was an explosion of color, motion, and sound.

Until Aurus rose unexpectedly, drawing the attention and silence of every creature. All eyes turned to him, and all illusory screens showed his wide smile as he prepared the words all had been waiting for. The words that would open the ceremonies for these grand games.

"Citizens of the world, I welcome you to the Grand Vale, Vemn Enox! I am Aurus Marz, known to some as Lightbringer. Know that such a title is not only mine to bear, for each of you brings with you the light of the world, and by your presence this is truly a bright day!" he declared, his voice magically amplified, loud enough for all to hear.

The stadium erupted in cheers at this, the excitement that had pent up over the days leading to this moment begging for release in any way it could find. A hoof raised slowly stilled the eager crowd, and Aurus continued.

"The world is a brighter place in these times, and not through my efforts. They are through yours, the efforts of your hearts and daily actions. Peace is not one creature's dream alone. But peace is more than an end to war and fighting. Peace is the ability to fight together, and that is why we are here today. Here we will all see the power our allies possess, and the fervor with which they fight! When you leave this place, I believe you will know more deeply the strength of those whom you now call friends."

"Who better to show you that strength than the champions of your peoples?" Aurus asked loudly, a resounding cheer echoing back to him.

As the cheering continued, gates along the sides of the arena opened, allowing the contestants to enter in all their splendor. Sixty four powerful mages, warriors, and cunning fighters entered, arranging themselves together in the center of the arena as calls for their various names rang out from the stands.

"Here is the might of this tournament!" Aurus called out, not even trying to stall the cheers as he shouted over the crowd.

Slowly the clamor died down, giving way to a respectful but tense silence, every throat eager to cry out for their favorite champion's victory in the duels to come.

"Lets not delay any longer!" Aurus declared, a small and eager laugh coming forth with his words. "Before we begin, my sister and her dear friend, Sweetie Belle, will sing for us to open the ceremonies. This is a song the two of them have written for all of your ears, to express the importance and power of all your races, and the tournament which will bring such strength to light." With a respectful bow of his head to the combatants arrayed on the arena floor, Aurus seated himself once more.

Comment posted by ShadowBro deleted Jan 7th, 2013
Comment posted by Corona Blaze deleted Jan 7th, 2013
Razorbeam
Group Admin

The eager crowd feel into an even deeper silence as the mentioned ladies made their way to the center of the arena, both resplendent in their dresses which harmonized with one another, the blue of Aria's long-tailed gown and the purple of Sweetie Belle's blending together pleasantly well before their song even began.

The two mares stopped, smiling back at all the speechless faces left stunned by their beauty. Slowly the two closed their eyes, as if shutting out the world and succumbing to the silence that had fallen over it as all waited breathlessly for their song.

It was Aria who started first, singing the first verse to a melody both brilliant and powerful, invoking the very idea of light itself, yet softly like the touch of peace. Sweetie Belle joined in soon, her wondrous voice in perfect harmony with her dear friend's.

"Once dark ran free across the sands,
Often seen but never stalled,
T'was not just ours, but in all lands,
It held our hearts and eyes enthralled.

A flash of brilliance then burst to life,
Within the souls of our countless kin,
Who saw the dark for what it was,
And strove to kindle the fire within,

The hearts of all the widening world,
To burn like sunlight in the gloom.
Together we all worked to free ourselves,
From the quite, creeping doom.

A world decayed was once delayed,
But now it is no more.
For what we prayed we soon obtained,
Yet still we fight on for,

A world of light where harm is gone,
Where hopes and dreams in life reside.
A world where every day the brilliant dawn,
Fades pleasantly to quiet night.

No more we face the troubling tides,
Of war, anger, deceit, and hate.
For now we each can stand beside,
Our mighty friends and share their fate.

When you gaze upon the steadfast light,
Unlike the candle's fickle flame,
Know that t'was you that gave it life,
And that through you it has a name.

Live well within the bright you've sown,
Fight side-by-side and hold your own,
For if the dark comes back again,
You will know the strength of friends.

So let our world burn as bright,
As the sun that makes the day,
And continue the long and worthy fate,
That light might never fade away."

The two mares opened their eyes to see a wide array of gaping mouths, not the least among them Aurus' own, for not even he had heard this song. It had been a gift to the entire world, revealed to all the nations at once in perfect harmony between a changeling and a pony.

The stunned silence ended abruptly in an explosion of cheers that left both of the singers blushing badly. With thankful bows of their heads, and bows to the contestants, they slowly retreated the way they had come, returning to the seating box with Aurus amidst the roar of the crowd.

Clearing his throat, Aurus stood and once more achieved total, compliant silence from the crowd, though this instance took significantly more time to come about.

"I can think of no more fitting way to open the games! Before the official duels begin, the royal guard of T'rahk Enox and Canterlot have arranged for a duel of their own while the other contestants make their final preparations. Allow us to entertain you while you wait," he said, his smile seeming almost mischievous as it was displayed on the illusory screens.

The other contestants returned to the area beneath the stands to prepare for the fierce duels they would soon fight, the crowd cheering them off-stage.

"I am pleased to announce to first duel of the games. I assure you it will be one which will not be easily forgotten!" Aurus announced, and suddenly Celestia stood next to him.

"For this first duel, let me announce the Canterlot Royal Guard's duelist. Please welcome Captain Shining Armor!" she declared enthusiastically. The crowd roared in excitement as the mentioned captain of the guard suddenly walked out onto the sand of the arena. He paused in the center, bowing his head in respect to Celestia and the others in the royal viewing box, before holding aloft his sword in salute to the crowd, which only elicited louder cheering.

The cheers faded, and Aurus spoke once more. "Captain Shining Armor will be fighting one of Vemn Enox's very own guard captains. It is my pleasure to introduce Kardak Varal, firstborn son of Korrik Varal and captain of my personal guard."

The cheering erupted again as a large changeling in resplendent blue-crystal armor entered the arena, a matching halberd and shield strapped to his sides. He too bowed to the royal viewers. and then saluted the crowd with his weapon, before jamming the spiked shaft into the dirt around him, leaving the weapon standing on its own as he turned to face Shining Armor.

The arena shook suddenly, the royal viewing box filled with the green light of changeling magic. The ground around the two warriors, which had previously been completely flat, began to change dramatically. The earth rolled, creating small hills and valleys, and large spires of stone shot into the air, creating obstacles. Even pools of water sprung to life, creating an arena that was filled to the brim with various terrain.

"Let the battle begin!" Aurus declared, the green light that had originated from his horn quickly fading.

598150 ((Oh, awesome, you put it RIGHT WHEN I'M IN CLASS. And Rapid forfeits round 1.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((This is where it gets fun, and I stop doing imagery/nonsense. Shining armor will of course be going first.))

Shining Armor readied his sword, showing no reaction whatsoever as the landscape around him shifted. He, too, carried a shield with him, and this he held at the ready, holding his sword out toward Kardak.

"It's been a long time since we've crossed weapons," Shining said, his tone friendly, but still with that edge of seriousness that comes with combat. "I always liked it better when we had our blades pointing in the same direction, not at each other," he said, a small smile coming to his face.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Kardak pulled his halberd from the ground and respectfully held it across Shining Armor's sword, an honorable salute before the battle. He readied his shield as well, smiling back at his friend, whom he had shared several adventures with in the past.

"Come now, it's just a bit of fun," Kardak replied, chuckling. "Think about it; whether fighting the same enemy, or fighting one another, we are still fighting together. I can think of no one I would rather face," Kardak finished, bowing his head in respect.

Eying his halberd suddenly, he smiled mischievously. "It would seem that I have the better reach. Why don't you take the first strike?" he asked, leaping backward suddenly, and breaking the cross of their weapons, signaling the start of the battle.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Shining armor laughed, spinning his longsword through a quick series of swipes for show. "It would be my honor!" he roared suddenly, lunging forward. He held his sword low with his magic, coming head-on for Kardak. He lashed out with his shield as he drew close, throwing the flat-face of his steel plate hard for Kardak's chest and face.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Judge's Notice: This is a very simple attack, but the shield is a very wide weapon. It's not fast, and not overly harmful, but since it's wider, evading it is more difficult than blocking it. Since both Kardak and Shining are of a similar character nature (Strength and magic), it is likely they would be better off blocking one another, rather than evading. Kardak is stronger physically, and Shining is stronger magically, so in this instance Kardak would most likely block. It would make the most sense. Let's see what happens.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((I will post where the reaction and actions begin respectively, so that you can see them clearly.))

((Reaction:)) Kardak lifted his shield and set it with his magic, easily blocking Shining's shield-bash. The sharp edges of the hard crystals growing on his shield made a loud grating noise as they ground against the metal, sparks flying from the force. Despite the sheer power behind the blow of that shield, Kardak's own seemed to trouble him little as he held it at bay.

((Action:)) "Not bad!" he congratulated, only a slight grunt of effort in his tone. With their shields already touching, and Shining close, his halberd would hardly prove effective. He needed to create himself some room to work with. Channeling his magic into his muscles, he pushed against his shield with his body suddenly, rather then his magic, hoping to throw his opponent backwards.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Judge's notice: In the case of the above, the judges ruled Kardak's block as a successful reaction to Shining's attack, and so Kardak took no damage. Kardak would have been informed of his stamina loss for blocking the attack, though.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Failed reaction:)) Shining Armor winced as his own shield suddenly slammed into him, throwing both him and the metal plate backwards, his hooves kicking up dust as they skidded across the dirt below to slow his backward momentum.

((Action:)) Grunting away the pain in his shoulder, where the shield had punched into him, Shining readied his sword. He knew that where he was would not be favorable for fighting his opponent's longer weapon, and so he opted to take advantage of the terrain instead. Sending his weapon too far from his body with his magic would give him the ability to attack at range, but would leave him somewhat more vulnerable. Still, it was a risk he was willing to take as he began to move for one of the nearby spires of rock to his right, lashing out with his sword to Kardak's left to keep him occupied.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Judge's Notice: Shining attempted to dodge in his initial post to the judges. The judges informed him that he was hit even when trying the dodge, and so he revised his post to reflect that. He was informed of the damage he took.

Shining decides to attack at range, using his telekinesis to move his blade out a little further to reach Kardak. At the same time he is moving even further from Kardak, trying to get out of the open. However, he is only moving at a moderate pace, because he is also attack. He could have also sprinted for it, but then he would not be allowed to attack: sprinting would have been his action. In other words, you may move a reasonable distance and attack in the same action, but normally this is not more than a few steps for the sake of positioning.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Reaction:)) Kardak leapt away from the blade, rather than blocking it, the tip just barely missing him as the sword swung downward. This left him a few steps further away from Shining than he would have liked, and he could tell that his old friend was attempting to move the battle into tighter quarters, where his halberd would be next to useless.

((Action:)) Unable to put the full force behind a swing in time to catch Shining, Kardak opted for a thrust instead, leaping forward as far as he could with his hefty crystal armor and stabbing forward with the pointed tip of his halberd.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Judge's notice: the judges found that Kardak's evade was successful, but only because the sword had to travel into striking range first, giving him time to react. Since his armor is heavy, Kardak is slower, and the dodge was a very close call. It also left him in a disadvantageous position, limiting his options for attack. All in all, Kardak probably would have been better off blocking.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Reaction:)) Shining 's sword, still far from his body, flew in to meet the halberd, sweeping up from beneath it and knocking it high of its mark. Blue hairs trickled down in front of his eyes as the sharp blade of Kardak's halberd nicked his mane, slicing through a few hairs and proving that a hit from it would be no laughing matter.

((Action:)) With his sword otherwise engaged, Shining had no weapon with which to attack. His attack with the shield earlier had proven ineffective enough to caution him against it a second time, and so he redoubled his efforts to reach a more useful patch of terrain. Pulling his sword back to him, he quickly sidled up next to the spire of rock, keeping it to his right, where he also held his sword at the ready.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Judge's notice: Since Shining's sword was already over by Kardak, he simply used his magic to use it to bat aside the thrust. However, this left him without a weapon to retaliate with, as it was busy deflecting the halberd. Instead he pulls the sword back to him and finishes moving to the spire of rock to end his turn.))

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((I will probably try to grab a couple of hours of sleep here, as I work in the morning and would prefer not to go in completely tired. I will finish this fight up (short, I know) in the morning first-thing, as well as the ladder. This mock-duel is not indicative of a real fight, at least in terms of length. I will be shortening this duel considerably and probably end it via time-skippy bullshit once I feel is has conveyed an appropriate amount of information.

Anyways, look for further posts here tomorrow morning or afternoon, if you like.))

Comment posted by Novus Ordo Seclorum deleted Jan 7th, 2013
Comment posted by Garion deleted Jan 7th, 2013
Comment posted by Novus Ordo Seclorum deleted Jan 7th, 2013
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18