The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 61 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 61

((Seeing as how I can't seem to properly explain this with words (my fault, not yours), I shall try to illustrate what I interpret post as.

Hopefully this can clear up some issues.))

749428 ((Yes, but the back of the knee on her back leg and the inside of her back leg are two very different locations. He implied all he want that he was going to attack one, but the wording he used stated he hit the other. This is a writing tournament, clarity is important, and using the wrong words can get you killed))

((Alright, now that I've found a judge to approve the edits, my original post has been modified to reflect the changes in yours. Sorry about the long wait getting it posted. I have terrible luck finding judges online and my messed up sleep schedule doesn't help anything.

Anyway, have a link to the post for convenience.))

((Health: 97%, Stamina: 87%
Approved by: Twilight at Dusk))

{Reaction}

His opponent seemed to be surprised, but she was able to shrug it off as if it were nothing. Ferris took another note of that, as he once more spun his body out of reach and pulled his staff closer to his body, lingering just outside of her attack range. With his Qi still building within him, the monk would have to keep searching for weaknesses to exploit.

But how? He needed a way to take her out...

Or he needed to start attacking not as a dog, but as something else entirely.

Remember, Ferris. Nature provides us with many lessons we may use to better ourselves. Take, for instance, the slender viper. Her dance mystifies her prey, before her quick strikes provide a swift end to even the largest of foes.

Master Longtail had taught him that early on in his training. Perhaps now was the time to show just what he had learned from the viper.

{Action}

Swaying gently from side to side, the monk acted as if he were about to swing both ends of his staff at Snowfall's head with two feints, almost appearing to aim for either side of her helmet, never directly attacking her at all. He instead meant to trick her, to make her wonder where his next strike would come from, or when it would come at all.

The entire time, he kept himself ready to act, ready to continue this deadly dance, his mind racing faster than he ever could.

((No worries. It seems like anyone on the internet is required to have some form of insomnia, laziness, or other general sleeping disorder.:derpytongue2:))

((Approved by: Dracmatais))

Health: 97% Mana: 100% Stamina: 86%

Reaction: Snowfall watched her opponent swing his staff horizontally, aiming for her head, and she raised her shield slightly higher so that the attack would merely bounce off the edge of the shield. But before it could impact, it was retracted and sent the other way. Her current shield position was just as effective at blocking an attack from the other side as well, so she left it in place. But as before, the hit was retracted before contact was made.

He sure seems to like those feints. Now all he has to do is learn how shields work and he might actually make me try to see through them, she thought to herself with sneering amusement.

Action: Seeing her opponent swaying in front of her, she took a few steps back, her shield still raised defensively in front of her. Come little doggy......I've got a surprise for you......

((Health: 97%, Stamina: 86%

{Reaction}

Ferris had a good natured grin on his face, watching his opponent with a great interest. By the glimmer in her eye, and the way she flinched ever-so slightly, it was almost painfully obvious just how much contempt Snowfall held for the Jade Monk. Her entire attitude towards him, from her casual disregard of his friendly words to the way she so viciously attacked him could only hint at how deep her emotions ran.

Perhaps it was time he learned a new lesson. One that was taught by Runt, by the duo of Dagger and Free, and by nature itself.

Remember the playful monkey, how he agilely leaps and swings through life. None can best him in the battle of life, for he sees it all as a game.

It would be something completely new to the Jade Dog, but he was willing to try anything at least once. Besides; he might have fun with it for a little while, at least.

"Snowfall, what wrong?" he asked her, openly smiling at the pony before him. "Say hit like rhino, yet hide like snail! Slow like one, too! I do something wrong?"

{Reaction}

He lightly danced to her side, keeping an eye on her all the while, forcing her to turn her body if she wanted to keep with him. Laughing outwardly, he cried out, "He who stand like pillar, broken. He who bend like reed, find victory! Must be open, remember?" Jokingly, he added, "Or is mind slow too?"

All the while, he never once dropped his guard, always watching for an opening. If there was one to be had, he would take it. For now though, as his qi continued to build within him, he was satisfied with watching his opponent go on the defensive. It meant that she knew he could strike her and do a good amount of harm.

It meant that he had a chance.

((Approved by: _Medicshy))

Health: 97% Mana: 100% Stamina: 84%

Reaction: Snowfall turned to keep her opponent in front of her as he once against switched to some new stance or whatever they were called. As his words called out across the eerily quiet landscape though, her movements paused for just the briefest of instants before continuing, his words hitting her harder than any blow he had managed to land in the match.

Did he really not understand? Did he honestly not see what he had done? The insult he had leveled, not only at Rapid, but at anypony who willingly fought on behalf of the ponies of Equestria? Snowfall mentally shook her head, silently amazed at his naivete. She had heard that he was sheltered, but this.......

Very well then. If he'd rather treat this like a game and show off his dance moves than his fighting skill, I'll just have to make sure he puts on a good show. I may not be much of a dancer, but I can sure as Tartarus make sure he doesn't have a chance to stop. At least, not if he knows what's good for him, she thought with a smirk.

Action: She watched her opponent circle for only a moment more before making her move. She lunged forward, bringing her shield across in a backhoof aimed at the dog's hip.

((Health: 97%, Stamina: 85%

{Reaction}

By now, Snowfall's attempts to attack him seemed extremely sluggish, compared to his last few battles. With an almost lazy step backwards, he neatly avoided the shield, laughing all the while. It was an amusing sight to see, he thought. An armored veteran of the new world, struggling to land even a single strike on him. Alas, but he did not plan on giving her the opportunity to even touch him.

That did not mean she couldn't try, though.

{Action}

Still smiling widely at Snowfall, he asked her, in a completely conversational tone of voice, "Why say, 'your mother', as insult? It not make much sense. Have heard many time outside battle, in city, but not understand what it mean."

Qi still building, he shrugged lightly, watching her with mirthful eyes. Though he still fully expected her to either defend, attack, or try something new, he felt as if he should at least give her a decent conversation. "And why use mother, when there better words say? Could say you still slow like snail and strike like frog. Even sit like one too!"

While he never used words such as this in normal battles, the monk found that he was having a little fun, just in simply letting himself go. Even as they worked their way toward a small patch of dead trees in such a disheartening arena, Ferris thought he could show that even in darkness, a simple smile was all you needed to brighten the way.

Reaction: Snowfall stopped following the retreating dog as her mind tried to process what he was talking about. What? When did anypony's mother get brought up? I get the feeling a lot of what he's trying to say is getting lost in translation..........maybe if he spent as much time learning Equestrian as he did learning to run away he'd be able to understand why I don't like him.

Action: Still stopped, Snowfall called out to her opponent. "I have seen quite a bit of your abilities here today, and even more of your mentality, and I can't say that I'm impressed. You've got quite a bit of potential, but every bit of it is wasted."

She paused, removing her helmet and holding it in her shielded hoof as she spoke, her voice ringing loudly across the deadly silence of the landscape, her eyes stern as she looked through the gloom at the laughing dog. "You told Rapid Fire that she shouldn't seek out fights, that it was wrong of her to do so. But do you even understand why she fights? Why I fight? You've trained and honed your body, locked away in your secluded temple, and for what? What is your ability worth, Ferris?

"Ponies like us, we fight so that others don't have to. We seek out battle and blood so that the rest of Equestria has the chance to be like you: happy and ignorant of the price paid for that happiness. We hone our skills so that no matter what obstacle we face, we will never be brought low; so that no matter what opponent we face, we will never fall. We come to this tournament for the chance to fight against the best of the best, to find our betters and improve, all so that we can better stand between the ponies we've sworn to protect and the darkness that would take their happiness from them."

Snowfall shakes her head, her glare hardening as she continues. "But instead we meet you. You treat this like a joke, a game to be played, as you tell those who fight for others, for you, that they're wrong to do so. I know what my ability is worth, Ferris." She motions to the long scar running across her eye with the edge of her shield. "Every scar I bear is a foal who didn't have to grow up without one of their parents, every injury I take is a parent who cried tears of joy rather than loss when a child they never thought they'd see again was returned to them, and every enemy I fell is a pony who will never bear the memories of blood and pain that I take on myself willingly."

She slowly replaced her helm on her head, the metallic echo of her voice amplified in the quiet of the void around them. "My ability is worth the lives and happiness of thousands. Every Guard I train and every battle I seek out only makes that number grow. But what is your ability worth, Ferris? For all the training you've done, what good has any of it done?"

With her questions asked, she once again fell into a defensive stance, awaiting the dog's response, whether with words or actions.

((Health: 97%, Stamina: 85%
Approved by: Razorbeam))

{Reaction}

Ferris listened to her speech, and did the only thing he could think of to do. It was the only logical, believable response to her tirade, to her obvious near hatred of him, and to her proud display of battle scars and tales of lives she had saved.

He laughed.

"You believe because save others, this make you deserving of place in tournament?" he asked her in return, barely holding his own mirth back. "Scars not worth showing. Only prove you not smart enough to stop fight. Why boast of life saved as if it only mean more fame? That make you better?"

{Action}

Slowly backing himself up, he continued smiling at her. "Is ability worth anything? I not know," Ferris answered truthfully. "I think it sad; use training measure others. That not right. But when use lives saved as boast? That not respectful. Make them seem like trophy."

He held his paw out, and repeated his by now signature Snatch Pebble motion at the guard, keeping a firm grip on his staff with his left paw behind his back.

"Now, Student Snowfall. Sound like want become hero, yes?" he stated, a large grin on his face. "So come. Show me what good that do you now!"

Reaction: Snowfall just shook her head and sighed. "You're doing nothing but proving my point, Ferris, by completely missing everything important in what I just said. Fame has nothing to do with our work, and it doesn't have anything to do with our presence in this tournament, either. If we were in it for fame and bragging rights, we'd be mercenaries. There's a reason all Royal Guards look the same, Ferris. It's because once we put on the armor, we're not individuals fighting for fame or glory, we're Royal Guards, only one piece of a larger group fighting for the good of others. The point is that we fight for something, Ferris.

"After I'm gone, nopony will remember Commander Snowfall. In a hundred years, nopony will care that I lived or what I've done. But every pony whose life I've saved, whether they know me or not, whether they remember me or not, their happiness is what gives my life its meaning. The ability to return hope to those who have lost it, and the ability to teach others to do the same, is worth more to me than any amount of fame or recognition. Even if only for this brief, fleeting moment in time, my work and my sacrifices make this world a better place. That's the difference between you and I; between you and Rapid Fire. Every move you make only proves more and more that the only thing you have to fight for is yourself."

Action: Snowfall looked at Ferris' outstretched paw with disdain and more than a bit of growing sadness. She had hoped that this fight would show her a different answer than it had. She had hoped that Ferris would learn something from all of this.
But it seemed that was not to be.

"I don't need to play your games to be a hero, Ferris. I already had that achieved from the first moment I stood against an enemy for the sake of protecting an innocent life. But what about you, Ferris? Can you call yourself a hero?"

((Health: 100%, Stamina: 75%
Approved by: Razorbeam))

{Reaction}

Ferris only marveled at Snowfall's own arrogance. It was extraordinarily clear that she hid her own selfish desires behind her camaraderie with the guards, and it honestly sickened him. To lessen the truth of her actions by shifting them to others was appalling; but it was decided now. 

"No, Student Snowfall. I not become hero. They come and go, fall trough dreams, history. I rather be good person. Not brag of heroism, and only worry of world instead of self," he told her.

And suddenly, without any warning, he struck, taking advantage of her dropped guard. While she had been talking to him, and while he had replied in turn, he had slowly inched his way forward. So absorbed in her speech, she would be oblivious to any action he took against her.

Such as this one.

He practically leaped forward, falling to all fours to give himself an un paralleled boost of speed. Angling his rish to land on her unshielded side, his body became an indistinguishable blur.

{Action}

Dropping his staff to the ground, Ferris pushed his legs against the ground, running on all fours and moving at impossible speeds. With a final lunge, he twisted himself to bring his right paw hurtling toward the back of her right back leg, specifically the joint of it, were there was barely any armor to block him, and where it would be incredibly difficult to spin around in time to strike him.

This time, however, he was ready for her. Bringing all of his gathered Qi into the strike, he extended his hidden weapon:

His claws.

Meant to tear through stone, he forced every ounce of qi he had into the strike, extending his claws as he moved. 

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 61