World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

They appear first in "A matter of principals" and then in "School Raze". I didn't find much about them, except this:

This is the Amulet of Aurora, the Talisman of Mirage, the Helm of Yksler, the Crown of Grover, Knuckerbocker's Shell, and Clover the Clever's Cloak.

Yksler was an honorable yak warrior. Any enemies that saw him put down their weapons in peace.

They say it's magic and King Grover used it to become the first ruler of Griffonstone.

The Shell of Knuckerbocker. It's like a seashell, but if you blow into it, you call a dragon! There's a sweet poem in our book about it. "Climb to the heights with dragon flight."

So we know what half of these things do (and one of them, apparently, does nothing). But then this happens:

Cozy must've linked these artifacts to act like a mystical magnet, attracting all the magic in Equestria into that orb.

Why? How does this work? Can you just take random things and use them to irreversibly drain magic from the whole world? Because the artifacts don't seem to have anything in common, not even a symbolic link to their unintended use (which is The law of magic systems practiced in real life).

So what are your thoughts about the whole deal? Is there an in-universe explanation to Cozy's contraption? And what do the Amulet of Aurora, the Talisman of Mirage and Clover the Clever's Cloak do?

In the hood we called that a ass pull. But not an entirely bad one in my opinion.

The most obvious simple explanation that comes to mind is that they're legendary magical artifacts, so they might be useful in channeling large amounts of magic for her ritual. There's also one important symbolic link I can see: they were explicitly chosen because each magical artifact represents a different species and their culture. For a ritual that is trying to drain all magic from all species.

But looking at it a little more, I wonder if we might have a proto-Elements-of-Harmony thing going on here. There are six of them, like the elements. And of the three we know their purpose, one is related to an honorable warrior who brought even his enemies to peace, one was used by a king to help bring unity to a kingdom, and the other can call a dragon for aid (and while it doesn't say how exactly it works, it could be some representation of friendship or cooperation between the species). It's certainly an unconfirmed idea and maybe a bit of a stretch, but I kind of wonder if that might have been what they were going for.

The most obvious simple explanation that comes to mind is that they're legendary magical artifacts, so they might be useful in channeling large amounts of magic for her ritual.

Well, this is basically what they said in the episode. You can take any artifacts and channel magic from entire world through them. Now is the time to grow incredibly paranoid and guard anything that has sufficicient magical properties. By the way, do we know how common their level of power is? The seashell can summon a dragon, the crown probably does... something, and it is unclear if the helm does anything at all. And you don't even need specific kind of personal magical abilitites to enact the "ritual", at least you don't need to be a unicorn.

There's also one important symbolic link I can see: they were explicitly chosen because each magical artifact represents a different species and their culture. For a ritual that is trying to drain all magic from all species.

And also all magical animals and artifacts. Or not?

But looking at it a little more, I wonder if we might have a proto-Elements-of-Harmony thing going on here.

This connects the items to each other, but not to the magic drain.

You can take any artifacts and channel magic from entire world through them.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. These aren't just any magical artifacts. They're specifically legendary artifacts. Not only have they existed for a very long time (the one we know the approximate age of is around a thousand years old), which could mean much deeper ties to the world and its magic, but if we're going with they symbolic idea, they're ones that appear to have important ties to various species and their cultures. That's a lot more significant than just some random magic items.

Then again, who knows? Maybe she could have used any magical items that draw enough magical power. It's not explicitly spelled out.

And also all magical animals and artifacts. Or not?

I think the symbolic link is enough to cover that. It's a collection of artifacts all from different cultures, symbolizing a wide-reaching or even unconstrained scope. It's not a stretch to say it could symbolize targeting all magic, instead of just the specific six species represented there. After all, if you had to have individual items to symbolize literally every possible source of magic, you've basically set an impossible bar. The six artifacts chosen seem appropriate for what she's doing.

This connects the items to each other, but not to the magic drain.

If they were going the proto-EoH route, then I doubt they were using them for their own symbolic link, so much as the fact that the Elements are an incredibly powerful force of magic that is probably much greater than any individual magical artifacts. If you're going to have an artifact that could affect literally all magic, then the EoH is probably your best shot.

Though if you still want a symbolic link, I suppose you could say they're a sort of "chained" symbolic link: these six artifacts might symbolize the Elements of Harmony, which in turn could symbolize magic as a whole.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5