The Optimalverse 1,334 members · 203 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Found this book online while looking for, you guess, meme about conformity.

{site requires google email login, FB login was not working for me}

Interesting reading, I think ..even if memetics were somewhat 'disproved' as supergeneric idea at level of The Evolution itself - I think our current reality as internet users confirm some of it still usable, as theory ....

If memes {ideas/behaviors} like viruses and genes ...We probably must preserve best of them, like those that can't spread naturally now.

Memes travel longitudinally down generations, but they travel horizontally too, like viruses in an epidemic. Indeed, it is largely horizontal epidemiology that we are studying when we measure the spread of words like ‘memetic’, ‘docudrama’ or ‘studmuffin’ over the Internet. Crazes among schoolchildren provide particularly tidy examples. When I was abut nine, my father taught me to fold a square of paper to make an origami Chinese junk. It was a remarkable feat of artificial embryology, passing through a distinctive series of intermediate stages: catamaran with two hulls, cupboard with doors, picture in a frame, and finally the junk itself, fully seaworthy or at least bathworthy, complete with deep hold, and two flat decks each surmounted by a large, square-rigged sail. The point of the story is that I went back to school and infected my friends with the skill, and it then spread around the school with the speed of the measles and pretty much the same epidemiological time-course. I do not know whether the epidemic subsequently jumped to other schools (a boarding school is a somewhat isolated backwater of the meme pool). But I do know that my father himself originally picked up the Chinese Junk meme during an almost identical epidemic at the same school 25 years earlier. The earlier virus was launched by the school matron. Long after the old matron’s departure, I had reintroduced her meme to a new cohort of small boys.

I think in this case junk is not to be considered as synonym for 'bad'.

Also, I just realized Selfish Gene probably must be read as self-ish, in other words NOT COMPLETELY ABSOLUTELY INDIVIDUALISTIC, even if such interpretation is often implied by various self-taught (haha) individualists ....

From roughly same time (1999) but a bit more USA-centered article:
Hacking memes

it has some interesting references into history of counter-culture ...

The term Culture Jamming has its origins in the audio agitprop arena, and specifically, with an experimental music and art collective known as Negativeland. They write on their Web site,

“Advertising, especially the high tech seduction and emotional button pushing going on in national brand advertising, has become a special subject of interest for Negativeland because of its telling view into the successful manipulation of the mass psyche, and the degree to which it exploits our common mental environment with the promotion of personal dissatisfaction and constant desire mongering on a universal scale.”

Guess today twitter and co actually battlefronts for this ......

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2