Earth Ponies: 400
Pegasi: 100
Unicorns: 100

Hero: Pinkie Pie

TGP units:

Battle Hounds: 4000
Blood Hounds: 500

Hero: Yankee

"Remember girls! Smile!" The last famous words of Pinkie Pie rings through her friends' minds as they were given the general order to fall back and regroup. The problem was, the enemy was too close for an orderly retreat just so they could regroup and Pinkie understood this more than the rest of them. She told her closest friends- ones she has known for years- to fall back, her and her battalion would take care of this. With no chance to argue, the other Five were forced to pull back.

Pinkie stands next to you on the hill that you both have agreed makes a fitting "party that won't ever be forgotten" and stare down at the approaching enemies who have no choice but to engage you or suffer an attack on two flanks (Twilight and the others retreated SSW, meaning if the grand pack ignored you then the Party Battalion would have the drop on them and no one likes it when the Party Battalion gets the drop on you). You both notice that Yankee is leading the pack.

"Nice to know that Ace still hasn't recovered from our surprise party, huh?" she states solemnly only receiving grim or sagely nods from her fellow troops

"Let's give them a party that no one could ever forget! A party for the millennium!" she suddenly shouts, inspiring the proud troops of the "party battalion", ones who have never failed a single mission or command. Least, not until now...

Area for battle

Your troops are stationed upon a hill that can clearly be seen for a few miles around and the troops have made no disguise that they are there. Waiting for the enemy. There are 3 boulders along the eastern side- where the enemy are approaching from- that could be used for nasty effect, if timed correctly.

The hill has a 25 degree slope, making the climb up incredibly difficult for the enemy. It also stands 25 ft tall making the trek to your forces all the harder. All in all, a good hill to make a stand.

The areas north, south, and east of you are open plains as far as the eye can see. the area west of you leads into other hilly territory (If any plans involve going there for any reason, let me know [but you are supposed to making a spectacle of your self to delay the enemy])

objective

MAKE A PARTY OF THE MILLENNIUM!

There is no survival, only the impression made on the enemy to strike fear into their hearts. (and be honest about enemy casualties please)

PRO RUBEFACIO COMMINOR! (FOR THE PINK MENACE!)

Guardian
Group Admin

you're going to lose, no matter what. draw out the entire battle scene if you want to, it makes it easier to see how you crushed as much as the grand pack as possible

Guardian
Group Admin

498636 Well, the Battle Hounds can defend from ariel attack pretty well, so the Pegasi won't do much. The Unicorns are sure to inflict casualties by say, mabye around a platoon's worth. As the Dogs being climbing up the hill, the Pegasi will sure to be more effective, but won't be able to hold them back. Once the Dogs are about two-thirds of the way up the hill, the Earth Ponies will knock down the boulders and send them rolling down the hill in the Dogs direction. That, combined with the Unicorn's bombardments will probably inflict about a couple hundred casualties (and mabye Yankee). As the Dogs get in close, half the Unicorns can erect a barrier while the other half continue pounding them. However, the barrier won't hold them back for very long and the Dogs will commence a pony slaughter fest. And when Yankee gets up there (if he's still alive)... hoooo boy, I wouldn't want to be the ponies.

The troops are deployed along the eastern edge of the hill. Earth ponies making up the front, pegasi on the flanks, and unicorns in the middle. Pinkie Pie is running around doing her usual antics to keep the troops inspired, despite what they know is coming next. (3 minutes into combat)

Letting out a sigh- one that just seems to emit a peaceful calm- the order is given for the unicorns to rain down hell upon the charging pack. Hopefully they can slow down the enemy and inflict massive casualties before they make it half-way up hill. Dogs are falling left and right, but the enemy seems undeterred in their frantic charge up the hill: they know they have you outnumbered and they know what happened to Ace. Perhaps they wish to make themselves enough glory to become Pack Alpha of the Bloodhounds? (4 minutes into combat)

The dogs of the grand pack have know made it halfway up the hill, seeming without your unicorns making a dent in the numbers. No surprise with a force that looks to outnumber you 10 to 1. The order is given to unleash the boulders which begin to roll down the hill. (8 minutes into combat)

It seems that your forces have caught a break in the fact that the dogs have "tunnel visioned" themselves and takes no notice of the rocks rolling down to cause the inevitable destruction you hoped there would be but the dogs much farther down are already splitting up, following the orders of the loudmouth Yankee with an incredible degree. (8 minutes, 20 seconds)

the dogs are now 3/4 of the way up when the order is given for the pegasi to take to the skies and rain down hell upon the now distracted enemy and the unicorns are ordered to put up shields forcing the enemy to engage the earth ponies directly in front of them. (10 minutes into combat)

Pinkie's cries of encouragement suddenly stop, but everyone can clearly see the Pink Menace tearing up dogs left and right in her Pinkie way, spurring on the troops to hold the line. (10 minutes, 12 seconds into combat)

With so many dogs attacking the hill, it was only inevitable that the shields to protect the flanks were going to fail and they seemed to have chosen now to give out. A quick look at the unicorns shows that they are exhausted at their work, but seem capable of putting up a fight so they are ordered to the right flank (south) in an attempt to hold the line (20 minutes into combat)

Then something horrifying happens: Pinkie screams out in pain. It seems to give pause to the entire battlefield her cry is so loud. her voice is then heard in what can only be described as 'Tarturaus come to Equestria' "I WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR THAT YANKEE!" It seems no one noticed his voice stop shouting orders earlier. (23 minutes into combat)

Pinkie's scream re-energizes the tired and weary troops, but it is clear that the line is starting to break. There doesn't seem to be any more pegasi flying around causing trouble for the enemy and the unicorns are being mercilessly hacked away on the right flank. The cry to box up is made in an desperate attempt to hold for just a little longer. (26 minutes into combat)

The order is followed to the best of everyponys' capabilities, but it a despairing site to see: there are only roughly 40 left and Pinkie is nowhere to be found among them. The dogs continue to mercilessly pound upon the desperate ponies when another scream is heard. That scream doesn't sound like Pinkie's but rather of a certain dog. It seems that Pinkie is putting up one hell of a fight with Yankee as mere moments later her voice can be heard too crying out in pain. (30 minutes)

Suddenly the world seems to become incredibly focused and then blurry just as quickly. A quick look around shows mearly 3 ponies fighting with all out desperation before they too succumb to the might of the pack. Falling to the ground, a cry of victory is heard, as pained filled as it sounds, "The Pink Menace is dead!" (31 minutes into combat)

One last thought that surely went through everyponys' mind is "We gave them one hell of a party, huh?" (31 minutes, 12 seconds)

total dead:
UEE: 100% casualty rate

TGP: estimated 600- 1200 dead with battle hounds
no more than 100 Bloodhounds at most

Time bought: 31 minutes, 12 seconds. mission considered successful

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Can I choose to find the magical pond and reinforce myself with infinite Pinkie Pies?

Oh. And "TGP" = "The Grand Pack". Not me.... uh okay!

(...I guess I'll make a real strategy later...)

Can I also pull a Dunkirk and just book it?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Can we have positions of the enemy? You never really clarified that. Also, which way did the others retreat?

stare down at the approaching enemies who have no choice but to engage you or suffer an attack on two flanks

This also doesn't make much sense to me. What?

sorry, clarifying issues now.

There are 3 boulders along the eastern side- where the enemy are approaching from- that could be used for nasty effect, if timed correctly.

along the eastern side- where the enemy are approaching from-

it is a horde, in as much as battle lines that dumb dogs can form, to the east. Twilight and the others retreated SSW, skirting the hilly terrain and meaning that if the pack left you alone you had the perfect stance to outflank them (even if they outnumbered you 10-1) and no one likes surprise attacks (espicalliy from the Party Batallion; we fuck shit up and have that notorious reputation that an opportunity like this can't be passed up). I'll add the way Twi and the rest retreated to above in hopes of clarifying WHY they had to engage you

Can I also pull a Dunkirk and just book it?

Nope! you are delaying The Grand Pack for as long as possible, so no running away!

That was beautiful man, simply beautiful...

50 unicorns facing east, 25 and 25 on both flanks. Earth ponies behind them, pegasi fly around the hill in intricate patterns, merely for show.

Enemy howls are heard from the distance. The grassy plains and soft wind bring back memories of home. Enemy troops approaching.

Unicorns take aim, pegasi break the show and enter battle formations. The breeze caresses the warrior's manes and coats, lovingly, deceivingly trying to instill into them hopes of survival. But there will be none, they know so and they accept it, smiles of pride can be seen among the troops. For they have fought long and hard, bravely and mightily defied death and unbeatable odds in the past and came out victorious.

No miracles that day, though. No hope and no mercy, just the war cries of hundreds of beasts as they begin to crawl up the hill, murder in their eyes.

The brave commander smiles at her troops and nods once. The simple gesture carries the weight of a thousand words, of a million thoughts.

Volley after volley of magic are fired down the hill. Flesh is torn from the body and bones snap as the projectiles collide with the flesh, howls of pain fill the air as the death litter the fields.

The wounded do not stay so for long, as their comrades are crazed by the blood lust and tear into their fellow warriors's bodies.

Dust covers the entirety of the slopes. The enemy has charged on all fronts, surrounding the determined defenders.

Pegasi dart in and out of the enemy lines, using speed and coordination to swiftly take out officers and high ranking warriors, leaving the enemy to tumble clumsily uphill.

Earth ponies replace unicorns as the enemy begins to approach. Shields are erected around the perimeter and the boulders are thrown downhill.

Sickening crunches and snapping sounds mix in with the painful sounds erupting from below. Dozens perish in agony as the rocks commit their purpose.

Without officers to keep them in formation, the beasts jump headfirst into the infantry lines, plenty die in a matter of seconds. But their numbers are too many, the line begins to strain and lose ground as the beasts overpower the proud warriors.

Pegasi dart in and out of the enemy lines, killing any warrior that distinguishes himself above the rest. Their numbers are weakening though, only half remain.

From the western front a loud howl is heard, followed by hundreds of others. The earth ponies on that side are forced to give ground at horrifying speed. Corpses begin piling up as the enemy pushes onward.

Pinkie Pie rushes to the western front with several unicorns, intent on maintaining the party going for as long as possible.

The skies are clear, no pegasi are left to adorn it.

In the end the eastern line is pierced, the beasts howl in delight as they overpower the ponies and take a few minutes to feast on their flesh.

Pinkie Pie is carried back to the center, a nasty bruise on her head and a long gash running down her side expel blood at a worrying pace.

With the fall of the eastern front unicorns had to replace earth ponies. The massacre is disheartening, screams and cries of agony fill the air as the stench of corpses and blood cause the inexperienced to vomit.

The beasts press onward on the western front, Yankee leads the final push and the line is shattered.

The enemy claims the center of the hill along with the commander's corpse.

From the distance the rest of the army looks away as the battle ends.

After a few hours, the heads of an entire battalion are placed upon pikes to adorn the hill.

Casualties: Entire army.

Enemy casualties:

500 to 700 battle hounds

Around a hundred blood hounds killed.

and yours is as well :pinkiesad2::ajsleepy::applecry: kinda makes me wish i never posted this one, but the intention was to see how majestic a death one could give a hopelessly outnumbered cause and you have performed very well, even if the hill was defaced with such atrocity :raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

another question though (if I may): how long do you think you held out?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

General Status: I take a third option, though still somewhat completing the objective.

Note: You might want to sit down for a short story. Because that's what this is going to be. Sorry, I just refuse to completely lose, so a story was needed to make my strategy epic.

Let me start by saying that I have an immense will not to lose.

Before I write the strategy, let me put down my thoughts on this regarding the story of it.

It says "You are standing next to Pinkie..." My self-insert OC (a grey pegasus, of course, though only featured in one story) is a Royal Scout. Essentially a Special Forces pegasus (actually, I consider Royal Scouts to be Special Intelligence and Recon). Again, immense refusal to lose, in universe, right there on the battlefield. Therefore, I would do in all my power to not be defeated, or at least, not completely lose in 8:1 odds. And with one of Equestria's greatest ponies- I deem it an unnecessary sacrifice. The whole battalion may not escape, but maybe a third.

"I" am known as Captain Stardust, by the way.

Also, again, I still believe we could make it out. Thereby, I will use all abilities in my analysis to ensure maximum survival.

With that in mind, let's go to battle. In fact, I'll do it live-action.

---

Commands given: Position Defenses, Assassinate Command, Hold Until Boulder Line, Tactical Escape

---
"So, Captain Stardust, how would you like to be the party planner for our last celebration?" the pink mare asked me. "I hear you're pretty smart."

"Gladly," I responded with a smile.

She points her hoof at the arranged troops, and allows me to give orders.

"All earth ponies! Create defensive perimeter near the bottom of the hillside below the boulder line!" The four hundred move in position.

"Unicorns! Split into groups of two! Space yourselves evenly among the perimeter with the earth ponies! One of you use barrier shield spells, the other use offensive! If you start getting overrun, play dirty and start levitating dogs and throw 'em at each other! Hold them back!-Wait! Ten of you, stay with me!"

"Yes Captain!"

"Pegasi!"

"Yes Captain?!"

"This will most likely be suicide, but I want twenty heading for that bastard Yankee! Right over there! Climb to high altitude and dive! Take off when I call the signal!"

"Aye Sir!" The pegasi quietly choose among themselves.

"The rest of you assist in perimeter defense!"

"Yes Sir!"

"So this is our last party, huh?" Pinkie asks.

"Not yet," I smirk. "For many, yes, but for the battalion's name? Haven't failed once, and this isn't any different. Why scare the enemy once when we can live to scare them more?"

Pinkie just nods.

"What about us, Captain?" one of the ten unicorns that stayed with us asked.

"How good's your aim as a group?" I asked.

"We... are not sure. Why, sir?"

"See one of those boulders?" I pointed my hoof down at one of the three boulders. They nodded.

"Think you can hit the lead dog out there?"

"I'll... have to do the math, sir. It's not easy. All of us have to be in sync and apply perfect pressure."

"Well, if it doesn't work, you'll hit some other dogs anyway."

"Aye, sir." The ten went down the hillside and came back up carrying a boulder together in their telekinesis. They didn't look strained at all. After all, each unicorn soldier was trained to carry one hundred pounds with relative ease.

There was now a silence in the air, until Yankee's yell for a charge is heard, and the battlefield echoes with battle cries.

"Ponies! Hold positions!" The charge approached our defensive line. Unicorns began putting up barrier spells. "Ready!" Pinkie leaves from my side and goes down to help rally the troops and increase morale.

The sounds of melee battle commenced. "You! Unicorns! Think you can take the shot?"

"Not really, but we'll try!" The ten unicorns take their positions, and the boulder goes out.

"On my signal!"

"Yes, Captain!"

"The twenty pegasi going for Yankee! Ready!"

"Yes sir!"

"Launch! Unicorns! Fire!" The pegasi lift off, clouds of dust springing up from the ground from their take-off. The boulder goes out as well. I look down. The boulder barely misses. He looked pretty shocked from a rock coming from the heavens almost smashing him dead, as well as the eight dogs that were crushed dead.

I continued to observe the battle. The unicorn pairs down below have helped slow down the assault, allowing hoof-to-claw combat to be prolonged. The earth ponies and pegasi would retreat behind the unicorn's barrier spell should they become tired or wounded. The unicorns on offensive duty had also done great damage to the enemy lines, however, some of them had redirected their attention in assisting with the shields. I didn't blame them.

I could see it. After a while, the unicorns just about gave up on offense, instead opting for a better defense. With two on the barrier shield defense, there was a wall that was difficult to breach. I bet Shining Armor would've been proud if he could see this. Earth ponies would run in and take out one or two dogs, then head back behind the shield line.

Suddenly, two pegasi flew back beside me. "Sir, the enemy leader is mortally wounded. We didn't stay to finish him though, but we believe he will not be able to recover. Unfortunately, as you can see, we are the only two to survive."

"Yes. Well, well done. Their lives were not in vain. Stay here and rest, and await further orders."

"Yes sir."

I went back to the hillside. A pink pony was still dashing between the lines, and every time she left an area, that part of the line held its ground for a little longer. However, it was still inevitable. We were tiring, and being pushed back. More than half of the earth ponies had fallen, and a third of the unicorns and pegasi each as well. I saw them approach the two boulders. I flew down to the rear line of the defensive formation.

"Unicorns! Throw up dust covers and retreat behind the boulder line!" In an instant, I could no longer see the dogs except for their first row coming towards us. We retreated behind the boulders. "Launch these boulders like it's a bowling alley!"

Immediately, the boulders were knocked into flight, barely skimming the ground as it bowled towards the enemy dogs. Screams of agony were heard.

"Everypony back towards the top! Unicorns, keep repelling the dogs on the way!" More magical beams were fired.

Once at the top, the ponies looked like they were running on pure adrenaline. Only 54 pegasi remained, including myself. 48 unicorns. 190 earth ponies, including our battalion leader.

"Unicorns and earth ponies! Reform defensive line! I want every two unicorns on shield duty and one on offensive!"

I turned to our leader as the unicorns and earth ponies arranged themselves.

"Sorry, Miss Pie. Bowling was the last activity on my list. I think it's time to leave. It's been about 25 minutes. Tough party."

"Yeah," she smiled, wincing from a wound in her leg.

"Alright Miss, hop on, we're getting outta this joint."

"W-what?"

"As much as haunting the enemy as "The Ghosts of the Party Battalion" sound fun, resurrecting isn't one of my skills. I want to be alive to see them retreat next time."

"I... I guess so. But I'm not coming. I'm staying with the others."

I stared, then accepted. "All other pegasi, if the guy next to you takes one of our earth ponies, take one of our unicorns. Understood?"

"... Aye sir." They approached the defensive line, already engaged in battle, and took 53 of our soldiers with them.

"Tactical retreat. Leave them a good distance away, and see if you can come back for a second pick up. All pegasi, take off!" They headed towards the southwest, where we saw the others retreat towards. Looking at the sky, they lost five to crossbow fire.

Our defensive line was barely holding. 239 ponies versus I don't know how many dogs. Some unicorns continued to pick up dogs or spears and throw them into the enemy. We were being pushed further back. Yet Pinkie Pie raised morale, and we were able to hold a little longer.

Miraculously, two minutes later, the 48 pegasi came back for a second pick up lift. We only had 14 unicorns and 103 earth ponies left. "Unicorns! Throw us another dust cover!" I yelled. The battleground became a blinding cloud of dirt. "Pegasi! Just ferry us to the hill base!" The pegasi took the 14 unicorns and 50 earth ponies away. How some of them carried two, I guess they just knew each other that much. The dust cover obscured the flying pegasi, and all got away safely.

Thirty seconds later, we had 20 earth ponies remaining. Pinkie Pie had suffered another wound, but appeared she would live a little longer. And the dust cover was starting to settle. The 48 pegasi came back for one last pick up, and I took our commander on my back down to the southwest base of the hill. Those that didn't carry a pony stayed a little longer to buy time.

At the hill base, I found 64 ponies waiting, along with the 20 earth ponies and 20 pegasi, including myself and Pinkie Pie. 12 came back from the hilltop, with apparently 16 falling in the last engagement.

"We have to retreat. Now. Before they can catch up." We regrouped with the 48 others that were evacuated first.

We had still not failed a single mission.
---
The refusal for complete loss gives me:

Remaining UEE forces:
37 unicorns
32 pegasi (Royal Scout Captain Stardust included)
95 earth ponies (Battalion Commander Pinkie Pie included)

Total: 164 out of 600

Dogs killed:
Yankee
~1000 Battle Hounds
~100 Blood Hounds
Unknown wounded

Time bought: 28 minutes
---
Hmm... Now that I think of it, I could've saved more if I just ferried the ponies down to the base in the first place. But hey- heat of battle. Wasn't thinking straight.

Hmm... Well, taking into account the number of dogs, the suppressive fire from atop the hill, the lack of officers and the boulders. Also assuming that it was in the middle of the day with the sun at its strongest.

Well, I'd say about forty minutes? Fifty at best, but definitely no longer than an hour. Wouldn't be possible considering the sheer amount of enemies!

First off, love the tropes you used. second it was meant to be a self insert, of sorts, anyways. Thirdly, I played it as pinkie was my commander so no retreat, ever. You sir, pulled a fucking Captain Kirk and I can respect you for that:rainbowdetermined2::pinkiehappy:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Kobayashi Maru all the way. In fact, I know I basically went against orders. :pinkiegasp::rainbowdetermined2:

Also attained:
Death of a dog commander, for 18 pegasi.
Inability for the dogs to rejoice over killing a notable pony.
Survival of said pony increases moral of ponies.
Survival of said pony allows further moral increase in other battles.

actually, you followed orders to the letter. the call was for a general retreat and regroup. Pinkie's unit was staying behind to buy time for the rest to do just that. so congrats on keeping the Party Battalion's reputation in tact :pinkiehappy:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Oh yeah! I just remembered! You are no longer a hypocrite. :raritywink:

499139:pinkiehappy: awesome!
I'll be posting more sometime tomorrow (battle sims of course), so be on the lookout:twilightsmile:
I also realized that spike is getting no love in the heros section, we should change that:pinkiecrazy:

Bloodpool
Group Admin

499160 When Spike stops being a whiny little bitch, then I'll give him hero status. Until then, he has the post of living meat shield. Although he'd probably suck at that too.:ajbemused:

hmm... Ok. What about candace then? She did protect the entire Crystal Empire after all (speaking of which...:pinkiecrazy:)

And are you going to make a short story for this as well?:ajsmug: I would love to see what you do, seeing as how The Grey Pegasus took the Captain Kirk route already:pinkiecrazy::rainbowlaugh:

First things first/ If i remember correctly the dogs excel at defending themselves from airborn attack and have no airborn units of their own so my pegasi shall remain grounded, bolstering my earth pony forces a bit.
Next I would have 340 of my earth ponies/pegasi entrench themselves on the hill near the boulders with 30 unicorns providing shielding for as many of them as they could and 35 unicorns laying down continuous fire on the advancing dogs.
Behind each of the boulders would be stationed 50 earth ponies and ten unicorns. When the dogs had made it to a certain point on the hill the unicorns would roll the boulders down the hill towards them angling them to go for Yankee's position if possible.
As the boulders crashed through the enemy ranks the 50 earth ponies and 10 unicorns stationed behind each boulder would follow their respective boulders through the gaps they would make through the enemy lines and try to make it to Yankee to kill him.
Once the boulders stopped rolling and the dogs were focused on the 180 ponies now inside their lines, my forces that had been entrenched on the hill would split into three groups consisting of as even a number of earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns as possible and charge for the three original breaches made by the boulder with a rousing cry of "Party!"

Finally, with the plan set in place, I would command 5 earth ponies, 5 pegasi, and 5 unicorns to aprehend Pinkie Pie and flee with her towards the other Element's position. Me and the other stallions are expendable. This is our job. But there is no f******* way I'm letting one of the Elements of die! Equestria needs Pinkie Pie.

She and the other elements shall watch from afar as the gallant Party Battalion goes down in a blaze of glory. For now, Pinkie will be mad that we disobeyed her and sent her away, but some day she will get over it. She will understand. Now onward! We've got a party to throw!

Story time!
I'll start in a second, but I just want to let you know that I agree with The Grey Pegasus and will not let the whole battalion fall. I know nothing is ever perfect, but if my plan works I should be able to stall the enemy for a bit. I am Sergeant Hothead, a Royal Guard Pegasus stallion. You will not know the commands I will give until they're given, because I can't explain it well. Well, here goes nothing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even as we fell back to what was to become our final resting place, an idea was forming in my head. If I could somehow get Pinkie Pie to let me lay out the battle plan, I'm almost certain I could get us out of here while only losing 3/4 or less of our troops. Of course, I know nothing ever goes exactly as planned, but it's worth a try. As the rest of the troops waited for the order that will ultimately condemn us all to death, I galloped towards Pinkie who was busy encouraging the troops even though the majority of us knew it was hopeless.
Pinkie saw me coming up to her and turned to face me.
"Sergeant Hothead! Back from your quick scout out of the enemy?" She asked, not quite as bubbly as per usual. I guess impending death tends to do that to a pony, even one as energetic as Pinkie Pie.
"Yes, Miss Pie. The enemy is about a quarter of a mile away. They'll be here within the hour." I replied in the same militaristic tone that all soldiers seemed to acquire through time.
"I guess I'll have to come up with a brilliant battle plan to send us down in a blaze of glory. Well, I'd best get to it." She sighed.
"Actually, about that Miss Pie. I came up with a battle plan already, if you'd like to hear it?" I asked hopefully.
"Why not? We can use everything we can get our hooves on right now." As we sat and discussed the details of my plan, another soldier, a Unicorn, approached where we were sitting. He came up just as we decided on our plan of action.
"Sir! Ma'am! The enemy has appeared!" The soldier panted.
"Very good, soldier. Get back to your squad and get them ready. This is gonna be one heck of a party." I patted the soldier on the back as he snapped off a quick salute.
"Yes, sir!" He called out as he took off across the hill towards a small group of Unicorns.
"Well, Sergeant? Would you like to take the reins? It was your plan after all." Pinkie asked me, pulling my mind away from idle thoughts and directing it towards the situation at hand.
"Yes, Miss Pie!" I snapped off a quick salute like the soldier did. "I would be honored!"
"Sergeant! They're getting closer!" A voice called from across the hill. I looked at Pinkie questioningly. At the nod of her head, I took off, shouting orders along the way.
"I want 50 Pegasi in the air when I give the signal! I want all of you carrying a Unicorn! Half of the fifty Unicorns will be defensive while the other half are offensive! Defensive Unicorns! I want your shields angled to give the most protection! I want all of you to fly in a tight formation! But not too tight! If one of you is hit, I don't want you all going down! Go after Yankee and any others who try to assume command!" I paused to catch my breath as I saw the troops responding almost immediately to my orders.
"I want 25 Earth Ponies and 10 Unicorns behind each boulder! As soon as the Earth Ponies begin to send it rolling, I need half the Unicorns to propel it even faster down the hill while the other half of the Unicorns shield the others! Angle the boulders in a wedge formation if possible! After the boulders have done their damage I need all of the Earth Ponies and Unicorns to fall back into our main defensive line! Our defensive line will be a box formation! I want the remaining 50 Pegasi, 325 Earth Ponies, and 20 Unicorns in the defensive line! Unicorns in the defensive lines will be placed evenly and concentrate on defense! Hop to it" Once again I watched with satisfaction as my orders were carried out nearly instantaneously. I was proud to be the one commanding what was starting to look more and more like it could actually be a party to be remembered for millennium to come.
I observed silently as the groups behind the boulders settled into their positions. I was proud to be in command of the Party Battalion, never mind how short a period of time it may be. I heard the order for a charge yelled from the enemy below. The lumbering Battle Hounds eating up the gap like it wasn't there at all. Silently, as the dogs were half way up the hill, I gave the groups by the boulders the order to let loose and fall back. The boulders rolled in almost perfect synchronization with each other as they came together in a wedge formation, the first boulder pushing dogs out of the way as well as crushing the less fortunate while the other two bulldozed over the few that remained in their path. I gave the signal to the Pegasi and they took off into the air. Then another thought came over me.
I called out to the fifty Pegasi still in the defensive formation. "Hey! Do you mind drawing their fire? Maybe then we won't lose as many troops!" The leader of the ground Pegasi acknowledged me and ordered the remaining Pegasi to lift off and join the carriers. The Earth Ponies quickly closed the gap that was left from the now-airborne Pegasi. The wake of confusion that followed the boulders was perfect as the Pegasi flew over the dogs' heads. I noticed with satisfaction that the unburdened Pegasi had positioned themselves around the others in a protective barrier of flesh, muscle, and bone.
As I watched, a couple of the dogs recovered and shot at the Pegasi flying overhead. I was watching them proudly until I saw the first of them get hit and fall from the sky, hitting the ground with an audible crack. I had seen my share of battle and blood, but this was different. These were my kind, who had valiantly volunteered to protect the others. I almost couldn't bare it as I saw them fall out of the sky, one by one, never to see their families again. I'll be making a lot of bad news house calls. I thought forlornly as I turned back to watch the scene in front of me.
Our lines were holding out rather well. The now-thirty strong ranks of Unicorns firing barrage after barrage of magic at the dogs. The 400 Earth Ponies were doing their best and holding out rather well. All in all, I was losing some of my troops but it looked like we might actually come out of this alive. The enemy had lost a thirteenth of their troops already. If we could keep this pace up, we could thin their numbers out a lot more before our defenses collapsed from sheer weight of numbers. I could clearly see Pinkie Pie bouncing between the ranks of soldiers, boosting their morale and helping them hold out longer. I redirected my gave back upwards to watch the Pegasi. I could see about half of the total still in the sky. Luckily, they had reached their target and were now firing bolt after bolt of magic into the ranks of dogs below. The yelps as they cried out in pain caused our soldiers to redouble their efforts.
Then I saw what must've been a miracle. The dogs in front of us stopped what they were doing and looked behind them. My troops, respectful as they are, waited patiently until the dogs were looking at them again. Then I heard it. A long, drawn-out howl of mourning that began in the back and echoed throughout all of them. It could only mean one thing. Yankee had fallen. The dogs turned around with anger and hatred burning in their eyes. My troops didn't hesitate to open fire. Dog after dog fell, but more kept coming.
There were so many of them that we couldn't hold them anymore. They broke through the left flank, charging in and destroying anything in their path. I ordered my rear guard to reinforce the left flank and waited while the fighting on that side died down. We had lost over half of the left flank. The rear guard was faring no better. We had only lost about 30 troops in the front and on the right flank. We had lost 5 of the 50 Pegasi who had gone after Yankee, and the five Unicorns they were carrying. I finally caved and waited for the remaining Pegasi to land before giving the hardest order I've ever been required to give.
"Pull back!" I called. "Give them a fighting retreat!" All of our troops gathered in one final line as they awaited their demise. Pinkie ran up to me, a question in her eyes.
"What are you doing! We can still win this!" Pinkie cried out as she got within earshot of me.
"I'm saving the remaining half of your battalion's tails!" I called back to her. "Pegasi! Grab somepony and fall back to the forest! Keep ferrying them out!"
"Well, you can pull back if you want, but I'm going to keep fighting!" Pinkie cried out as she raced off towards the line of troops.
"I'm sorry, Miss Pie, but I can't let you do that!" I called after her retreating figure. "I want some of you soldiers to grab Miss Pinkie and carry her to safety! We can't go back to the main army without her!"
"Yes sir!" The soldiers called back. Then I decided to make us both happy.
"Earth Ponies! Stop retreating! Hold your ground and let us make it to safety! We will remember your last stand! You have been very honorable and noble, and I respect you! Now, go give them one heck of a party!" I called to the remaining Earth Ponies.
"Sir, yes sir!" They replied as one. Then they began chanting our battle cry. "For the Pink Menace! For the Pink Menace! For the Pink Menace!" It worked to boost their morale, considering it was, by now, only about 250 of them against the tons of dogs still charging towards us. I saw that 5 Unicorns had grabbed Pinkie and were following my orders to the letter, picking her up and carrying her down the rear of the hill. I realized I was the last one out on the field besides the 250 Earth Ponies. I called for the leader to come to me.
"You called, sir?" He asked when he stood directly in front of me.
"Yes, I did. What's your rank soldier?" I asked in response.
"I'm just a corporal, sir!" He replied quickly.
"Well then, Corporal. I just wanted to tell you that you and your soldiers are already war heroes and will be remembered as the ones who single-handedly slowed the onrushing horde of dogs! You and your soldiers will be known as the ones who never backed down! You and your soldiers will be remembered as the ones who saved countless lives from the dogs! Now get out there and command your heroes! For the Pink Menace!" I snapped off a quick salute and he followed suit before galloping off to join his soldiers. I flew to the base of the hill and rejoined the ones who had already retreated.
As I landed, I heard a final cry come from the throats of heroes. "FOR THE PINK MENACE!" Looking around, I saw that we had 45 Unicorns, 45 Pegasi, Pinkie Pie, and myself. We were now the last remaining troops of the Party Battalion, but I'll be darned if I forget the Earth Ponies who threw their lives away to save the rest of us. We began the trip towards the rendezvous point. The 45 Pegasi each carrying a Unicorn, and myself carrying a very forlorn looking Pinkie Pie. We were on our way home, but at what cost did it come? Are our lives really worth more than those of all who died on that battlefield?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casualties: UEE=508/600, TGP=1967/4501
Time Bought: 38-52 min.
UEE Forces Remaining: 45 Pegasi, 45 Unicorns, Commander Pinkie Pie, Sergeant Hothead
TGP Forces Remaining: 2100 Battle Hounds, 434 Blood Hounds

This is the first time I've come up with a strategy for any sort of thing like this, so please don't just come right out and yell at me if I did something stupid. Thanks.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Dammit... The abbreviation for the Pack still gets me every time I read it.

Anyways, you've got the respect of me for a few reasons:
-That's a pretty good strategy. This battle tends to prompt using a lot of non-standard (and some slowly becoming standard) moves, as well as detailed strategies.
-This is the most highly acclaimed battle to be made in the group. Working this battle out is really something.
-Anyone who chooses to retreat once staying back has reached a certain acceptable point plus saving the CO has made a good move IMO.
-This is easily one of the best story responses I've read. Great mini-story.

This is a really special battle for our group. It was pretty revolutionary, technically introducing unconventional warfare here (or, at least, prompting outside the box/inside the chimney thinking) and story type responses. This was the first battle to put in the strategical idea of pegasi carrying others. So since you did a strategy for it...I like it!

It's got the most participants and the most interesting strategies (and stories). It was a really unique scenario at the time. So good job for doing this!

I declare yours to be a plausible victory.

Thanks! I'm working on battle #13 and think I'm going to use the pegasi to carry others there as well!

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Hmm... I'll have to see if I can reel the creator back in to coordinate the battle for you. He's been on a bit of a break.

Although, that is only if you want to do it step by step.

I think doing it step by step makes it easier for both myself and the creator as well.

498606 (i just say what i do right?)
I cut 10 of my most powerful unicorns and fastest pegasi to use on a spell bombing run on the advancing pack targeting in paticular their hero and blood hounds they are instructed after a single shot to fall back to reinforce the other battalions then i utilize my unicorns alongside strafing runs by my pegasi to dull there response while my earthponies utilize the boulders to strike their befuddled numbers as the boulders pass through them i lead a volunteer force of 150-200 earth ponies into the fray meanwhile our unicorns are instructed to fire at will until their magic runs dry then to fall back along with pinkie i predict i will lose most of my forces but the dogs should take a huge dent in their numbers as a result.(is this right?)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28