GrimDark 2,183 members · 2,448 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Hey y'all, just rewriting one of my more darker stories and I had to ask: What's more creepier to you?

The first approach I'm taking right now is telling the story through a character's eyes as the events go along. Typical approach, but I'm able to be a little more detailed about it.

The second one I've been thinking about is having the same character keep a journal about the events, each day progressively having more and more graphic details added to it. Although it would significantly shorten the story to a point, I like the idea of journals.

So I'm reaching out to you guys. What's more creepier to you?

3229285 Long journal entries can become jarring to read. With first person you get more of an action feel to it while reading. It makes you feel more engaged and involved than with reading about reading a journal.

It mostly depends on the story, however. I've seen some journal entries that sent chills down my spine.

Ooh! Do you care to elaborate for a bit? I don't mean to keep you up. :pinkiecrazy:

3229357 It's morning here, so you're not keeping me up.

You want your readers to feel and immerse in your character. With first person you can do sudden transitions, surprises, lots of showing and making the most out of the moment, feeling the prospect of danger, not being secure about the stability of the environment, not being in full control as you are when reading a journal...

You're kind of limited in the journal or a letter. It can all feel a little dry.

Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I got gang raped by changelings.

See, to telly. Now imagine this being done in first person.

I see what ya mean now, and funny how you chose Twilight. She's actually the character I have plans for. :pinkiecrazy:

And thank you. This is gonna help a lot with the rewrite. :yay:

Journal. It's way creepier in my opinion.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7