Godzilla Has Return 563 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Most of the rules we set upon ourselves are there for a reason: Because a large number of Godzilla fanfics are written by inexperienced kids who are discovering puberty and thus insert some very weird things in them.  However, it is possible to think around the rules in creative ways that still give the story credibility.

5. No human love interests

This is usually a good rule for a long list of reasons, but most of them have to do with the way it's usually approached, which is like this:

Human love interest who is familiar with human civilization, probably Miki Saegusa or Princess Odette because fuck you, that's why, falls in love with monster because she can somehow not percieve it as a threat and somehow just knows that the monster is a victim and an intelligent being, and falls in love with it.  She is somehow able to get close to the monster in question, and it spends the rest of the story trying to get her, making the human the love interest to the monster. They make it in the end and have children.

That stinks.  But now that I have given you an outline of how it's usually approached, it raises the possibility that there might be an alternative approach to this concept that is more viable.

Let's try it:

Human love interest, let's say Dayo from Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, who has living on an island worshipping a giant creature for most of her life, sees daikaiju as gods, and one day, her hokulea stranded on Solgell island, comes to adapt to life there surrounded by daikaiju, and has ceremonially married one like priestesses in the past.  The kaiju could perhaps be treated a little more of a love interest to the human than the other way around, plus this is working with Showa kaiju, who tend to be intelligent but never really get any positive interactions with any members of their kind, but generally don't hate humans so long as they don't bother them, so her companionship wouldn't be unwelcome. Their love is pure in every sense of the word, able to last in spite of the fact that because they are two different species, they are unable to reproduce.

This works because the human in question has been on Infant Island all of her life, she has had nothing to compare the daikaiju to except something that she already perceives as an intelligent goddess, and therefore she would see this in some of the rest of them.  As I said, some priestesses did marry their gods in the distant past, if she were to do the same, it would not be surprising. Let's not forget, the Showa kaiju were not only sentient, but the people of Infant Island were telepathic, so it's not a case of a totally crazy lady undergoing bestiality. As for radiation, well, I think mostly just Godzilla and Anguirus leave it behind, but the people of Infant Island had a mushroom that made them immune to radioactivity, so all she needs are some 'shroom spores or to find a variation of it on Infant Island, and then she can spend as much time with her kaiju husbando as she'd like. And most importantly, no hybrid children. Hybrid children is just stupid.

4. No crossovers!

Part of the reason for this rule is simply because when you move outside of the FIMFic Godzilla fanbase and move on to Godzilla fanbases to other sites, you'll see that the G-fanbase is so ignorant of not only kaiju eiga as a whole, but of Godzilla itself, that they only include less compatible kaiju like the Pacific Rim kaiju out of ignorance of the existence of more viable Toho kaiju that could have easily played the same role, or NERF the kaiju down to make establish Godzilla as "king".  But not all kaiju from other franchises hail from franchises of low compatibility, and with that in mind, what if you were to write something that would be more respectful that their franchise?

I have a proposal: Godzilla vs. Ultraman.  I'm not talking about just any Godzilla either, I'm talking about the Showa Godzilla, just as I am specifically referring to the original Ultraman.  Showa Godzilla and Original Ultraman both came from very compatible settings, as Toho-kaiju and Tsuburaya kaiju can both come from just about anything, rather than just one source like a lot of other kaiju in other franchises do.  Let's not forget, frequent special effects director for Toho, and executive and producer for Tsuburaya Productions, Eiji Tsuburaya, and frequent writer for both, Senichi Sekizawa, were both heavily involved in the Showa Godzilla and the Original Ultraman.  All you need now is to be as respectful to Ultraman as you are to Godzilla.

3. Godzilla can't like humans

This rule can be overly tight at times.  It is true it's probably better on average to depict him as more driven with his own concerns than with humanity as a whole, one thinks of both the Showa and Heisei series, but again, in both the Showa and Heisei series, he didn't outright hate them either.  In both series, what often happened was that Godzi was just minding his own business, often looking for nuclear food to sustain himself, and then we shot him first.  Then he shot back.  Godzilla was rarely ever depicted as conciously punishing humans, we just temporarily pissed him off by often getting in the way, but if he wanted to wipe us off the planet, he'd do it.  So why not? Because that's not his goal.  In the Showa and Heisei series, his goal was to survive and live his life.  That's all he ever cared about.  And when we weren't attacking him? As implied several times in the Showa series, namely in Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (he defeats the greatest threat to humanity even after confessing that we annoy him by striking first out fear of him - told ya we tend to start it!), Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (he studies Dayo in that one), and Terror of Mechagodzilla (the black hole aliens consider him a threat to their plan to wipe out humanity, and he seemingly avenges two kids whom Titano killed), when we mean no harm to him, he isn't going to mean harm to us, and might even find us fascinating in our own little way.  Sure in all of my examples his motives were still largely to survive in the first and to maintain the Earth's balance in the second, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like us a little when we aren't bothering him all the time.

2. Godzilla can't Lose!

Almost all incarnations of the character were powerful, but almost all incarnations of the character had weaknesses or lost in some way. If he's the hero, it's easier for the human subconscious to root for him more if he loses at first because it makes him the underdog and it ruins his honor in our eyes, and it helps us take the enemy kaiju more seriously because it's obviously a threat, and if Godzilla's the villain, then he has to unless you want to be like Lovecraft and have him doom humanity (which could work!).

1. Godzilla can't have a personality besides "badass"

Out of all of the rules, this is the one I recommend breaking on an extremely regular basis. We're so used to the overly pretentious and sometimes outright shitty gonzo journalism um, er...overly theatrical writing and reviews of influential G-Fans, that we forget that Godzilla as a concept doesn't always have to be this grand, but also utterly vague, nebulous wonder.  Most of the Showa series passed him off as a straightforward creature, even the 1954 movie did this sort of at times, and there's a reason why the Showa series is the favorite of all G-Fans save the nostalgic 90s kids: It had personality, not only conveyed in the human characters, but also conveyed in the monsters themselves.  Sure some like Vs. Megalon went way too far in a direction that was overspecialized to children (or people on drugs), but most of them were all the better for having so much personality so long as they avoided the overspecialization trap that ensnared a lot of Toku back in the 1970s.

I feel like there is one more way for the love interest. There's also the twisted, corrupting and abusive relationship such as the one that Iris uses on Ayana, that works well for horror.

Oh, that's a great one! I completely forgot about that!

Out of curiosity, out of all of the Showa kaiju, which one would you recommend the most for Dayo, since, given what I described, pretty much all of them but really nonsensical choices like Hedorah and Mechagodzilla are on the table. Godzilla, Anguirus, Sanda, and King Kong all came to mind, but additional suggestions are welcome!

3. Godzilla can't like humans

This rule can be overly tight at times.  It is true it's probably better on average to depict him as more driven with his own concerns than with humanity as a whole, one thinks of both the Showa and Heisei series, but again, in both the Showa and Heisei series, he didn't outright hate them either.  In both series, what often happened was that Godzi was just minding his own business, often looking for nuclear food to sustain himself, and then we shot him first.  Then he shot back.  Godzilla was rarely ever depicted as conciously punishing humans, we just temporarily pissed him off by often getting in the way, but if he wanted to wipe us off the planet, he'd do it.  So why not? Because that's not his goal.  In the Showa and Heisei series, his goal was to survive and live his life.  That's all he ever cared about.  And when we weren't attacking him? As implied several times in the Showa series, namely in Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (he defeats the greatest threat to humanity even after confessing that we annoy him by striking first out fear of him - told ya we tend to start it!), Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (he studies Dayo in that one), and Terror of Mechagodzilla (the black hole aliens consider him a threat to their plan to wipe out humanity, and he seemingly avenges two kids whom Titano killed), when we mean no harm to him, he isn't going to mean harm to us, and might even find us fascinating in our own little way.  Sure in all of my examples his motives were still largely to survive in the first and to maintain the Earth's balance in the second, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like us a little when we aren't bothering him all the time.

Sure some like Vs. Megalon went way too far in a direction that was overspecialized to children (or people on drugs), but most of them were all the better for having so much personality so long as they avoided the overspecialization trap that ensnared a lot of Toku back in the 1970s.

Does that include Marvel Godzilla, Hanna Barbera Godzilla,Godzuky and Zilla jr from "Godzilla:The Series"?

That's actually hard to say because I don't know them that well, save "Zilla" Jr., who is the only "Zilla" I can just flat-out call Godzilla because he doesn't do any "Zilla" things except look like Zilla. I thought how he was written was just fine. I thought that the animated Godzilla of the late 1990s, like the GvH, GvMG, ToMG depictions of Godzilla, and the Legendary Godzilla, was a very good example of how Godzilla can be depicted as a protagonist and even how in some ways it works better than him as an antagonist.

Comment posted by AuthorKnight90 deleted Oct 17th, 2017

And the marvel and hanna barbera godzilla with godzuki? What of their portrayal?

I know little of them, to be quite honest. Marvel seems to be alright for the most part, and the Hanna Barbera Godzilla seems to at least be inoffensive.

While some grew up believe both hanna barbera and the late showa godzilla felt the same creature by how they were portrayed as quote unquote "Hero".

Because at the time, canonically, they kinda were. Marvel and Hanna Barbera both had writers that envisioned that Godzilla as the Showa one, but avoided references to other kaiju because they didn't have the rights to them.

Yeah however interesting story on both.

Hanna Barbera Godzilla going to continue the showa era which included Godzilla destroying building and fighting military but american Broadcast system didn't want to portray such a violence on a cartoon that was may for kids. It also including portraying the titled character as such in a villainous monster and still be called a hero. So they had to change the show all together to the one we know today.

Marvel may not have wanted to have the other kaiju or pay for them(that up in the air) but they work with toho to get the approval of the look that toho could accept. Their an interview explain them making design for toho approve and after that they decide to go their own directions. Which why we had a variety of new creative monsters.

Kong probably works best due to having the legacy thing going on but disregarding him as being the most obvious candidate, I'd say that someone like Godzilla would work best simply due to showing the most intellect and general capacity for care compared to the other kaiju. Sanda has also shown great capacity for care, but the thing is that I feel he's a little like Frankenstein in that he may be mildly mentally handicapped in which case one would have to tread lightly to avoid making it seem like Sanda's just having his chain yanked. If however that is not the case, then Sanda over Godzilla, probably.

Also on a sidenote, I feel that platonic love should also be acknowledged here. Frankenstein and Sanda definitely possess it, another example is Biollante who goes out of her way to give Shiragami some kind of a good-bye(albeit this one is debatable).

Yeah, I see the problem: They're all good choices, as long as one writes it well. Kong is good, he's just too obvious and too bestial, and these can be overcome with really good writing and a little imagination, and Godzilla is good, he's just too prominently featured and too superficially different, and these too can be overcome with really good writing and a little imagination, and Sanda is good, he's just too mentally handicapped and too caring (probably the only kaiju in which that was ever possible), and once again, these too can be overcome with really good writing and a little imagination. Not one of them suffers from a problem that intelligent writing can't overcome. It's not really that OOC at all in any of their cases, it just takes some imagination to realize.

And yes, just love in its simplest form, to put the needs for others above their own in the expression of compassion is something that should probably be stressed in stories for more human-like kaiju, since so many of these kaiju have a human-like capacity for expressing it, and it would probably make a lot of stories more meaningful.

One interesting case you can make is for Orga and Kiryu, who both have an elevated level of intelligence. Perhaps not in Orga's case because of the whole "genocide the planet for a race that doesn't even exist anymore",(albeit you could justify that by someone explaining to him that his entire race is dead and he's fighting for a lie) but Kiryu has the whole "Sayonara Yoshiro" thing which would imply some level of forgiveness and care for the people, even if they raised up his carcass from the sea floor.

With Ultraman obsessed with fusion and it being one of my favorite tropes, I always thought a godzilla ultraman fusion would be pretty kickass.

Atomic Specium!

Am I the only one?

The only rule I never liked is changing the monsters from no longer being monsters. With one exception and that's like a weird anime like idea were a bunch of teens can turn into the monsters because they are magically human incarnations of them. But most of the time I want my monsters to be monsters.

I have a concept in which a young woman has Ghidorah as a father figure... And it's every bit as toxic as you'd think it would be.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17