Godzilla Has Return 563 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

Here

What is your thoughts about this news?

4227507 I'm seen some of Hideki Anno work. some I'm a fan of, some I'm not. As long he does it like 'God Warrior Attacks Appears in Tokyo' I won't have any problem, but if he goes physiological on us like 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' I'm out.

As for Special Effect Director Shinji Higuchi, No Problem there. He did special effect for the 'Gamera' trilogy in the 90's so I know i'll do a excellent job. He also Directing the Live Action 'Attack On Titan' so I just excited he's the special effect director.

4227507 It doesn't help Hideaki Anno confessed that after Evan 3.0 he's back on being depress, with mean will going to get a pretty mess up, mindf**k Godzilla movie. Here come the headache with every fans.

It seems that Toho is putting all the meat on the grill with this one.

Actually, Hayao Miyazaki is working with him to keep him from getting full "gainax ending mode". Also, we're talking about the creator of Gunbuster. That should be enough to give him, at least, the benefit of doubt.

I think it'll be an interesting movie since it kind of veers away from the original timeline just a bit.

I don't have any problem with either of them since I like Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the end we should know that Toho won't drop the ball on this one.

4227639 I'm not sure Hayao Miyazaki is involve with him, at least no news is giving me that impression.

4227653 I like Neon Genesis Evangelion,too. But that character physiological , theological theories and tripy imaging doesn't belong in Godzilla films. Now before reminding me of 'Godzilla vs. Hedorah' those trip scene was on drug with one character, while some is enough for me to understand. Hideaki Anno disturbed images is to rub it in our faces and mess up your mind. All because he suffer depression, meaning he might want to share his pain in his film.

No, no, not professionally. But as a friend. They've met for years and Miyazaki is some kind of mentor to Anno. When he heard that Hideaki was having another of his "moments" he literally ran to help him. That's why at the beginning of Evangelion 3.0 there's a trailer for Giant God Warrior.

In other words, an actual real life example of friendship being magic.

4227736 I well a where that Miyazaki and Anno being friend and mentor. I watch the Studio ghibli documentary on the 'Naussica of the valley of the wind' Dvd special features. Some compare Miyazaki and Anno the japanese ' Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick'. With Hayou Miyazaki being 'Steven Spielberg' and Hideaki Anno being 'Stanley Kubrick'. Stanley Kubrick make pretty mess up stuff, so the same would be saying with Hideaki Anno. I don't wish to see that in a Godzilla movie, especially constant written text on screen.

Funny story I must tell you about Godzilla and Evangelion and my love of anime in general. It was many years ago, I was eight years old and my dad bought a VHS widescreen copy of Destroy All Monsters I put into the VCR and while I was watching the trailers for other films this appeared.

I was so amazed by the visuals and art style of animation that I had never seen before and at the time I was too stupid to be able to read the title properly so I spent many years pondering about what I saw that day. Now skip forward to the age of twelve, the internet had improved greatly and after years of searching I discovered that the style of animation was called anime and I watched some clips of anime in someones top ten list and I tracked down and watched some of those shows and I fell in love with anime. I didn't watch Evangelion until I was fourteen years old, but as you can see without Godzilla I would have never seen that trailer, and without that trailer I would never have discovered anime so early in my life. So to me both Godzilla and Evangelion are very important aspects of my childhood. As are Doctor Who, Star Trek, Ultraman, and Star Wars, they helped define me as a person and definitly made me different from other kids of my age in town who had never heard of these things.

Again, I'll stay with the Gunbuster idea. If Anno can produce one of the most BADASS! mecha ever (right next to Gao Gaigar and Mazinkaiser), then the Big-G is in good hands.

And this is Toho we're talking about. Since Zilla's movie that they're pretty selective with production teams.

4227806 He still came a long way from Gunbuster.

Well, by this point we can just sit down, wait and hope for the best.

Anyways, it can't be worse that Godzilla vs Hedorah or Zilla

Hey don't dis on Godzilla vs. Hedorah!
But yeah Zilla Sucks...EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, even Toho admits that GvH is the weakest non american film of the series. Heck, Tomoyuki Tanaka (director of a good bunch of the series) actively makes sure to no let Yoshimitsu Banno direct a Godzilla movie again.

4227862 Yeah because having a dark scene like people turning into skeleton and talking about the danger of pollution was such the worst thing in the Godzilla franchise. Notice the sarcasm in the writing.

Sure it turn Godzilla into superhero instead of the force of nuclear holocaust, but it was already going down that lane since 'Son of Godzilla'. So what the different between 'Godzilla vs. Hedorah' differ to Original Godzilla with bringing into dark tone to 'Son of Godzilla' that silly premise from the get go? At least it had a story and messages going for it instead of stock footage fest like 'Godzilla's Revenge'.

I like Godzilla vs. Hedorah, I think it was ahead of its time in its theme about pollution.

I also like Godzilla's revenge, in fact I like every Godzilla film, (Zilla 1998 doesn't count) you just have to view the movie in the perspective of the intended audience and listening to the commentaries of these films also made me appreciate them even more. One can see Godzilla's Revenge as a coming of age story about a kid overcoming those who oppress him and rising to the top.

4227961 Yes. but how Ichiro after beat Gabara, go almost mess with an ad painter doing his job teach children to grow up? Yeah, most part are a 'coming of age' film, but that don't excuses poor special effect. I love every Godzilla movie and animated series. Godzilla 1998 is another monster movie, not a Godzilla film. Zilla, if you read another forum about him, I comment about his concept ideas not final product. Well except Zilla junior, he's up with the rest of great kaiju list. I love some Godzilla film more than other.

Okay, here's my explanation on what I (and provably other) don't like about GvH.

The story is interesting, the villain is original and its themes are well handed as also the anti-pollution' message is relevant to our days.

The problem here, is the directing. Look, I'm not against the environmental theme, or the experimental visuals. Godzilla, as a metaphor of nuclear weapons and pioneer of the kaiju genre is not stranger to those. But turning the movie into an acid trip, have literally no sense of coherence between scenes and turning the Big-G into a Captain Planet expy while demoting him into a side character is not how a Godzilla movie should go.

This, in comparison with other movies from the same era like vs Mechagodzilla or Destroy All Monsters makes it looks really bad.

Does it makes Godzilla vs Hedorah and irremediable bad movie? I don't think so. It has its audience and people who can see something enjoyable in it, in the same way that even Zilla has its fans. At the end of the day, you guys are in your right to like it and I'm in mines to don't.

I see your point...but Captain Planet?

Yes, it was a giant sized, kids friendly, no BADASS!ery, song themed, no nightmare fuel, this close to being pink, Japanese Captain Planet.

I mean, one thing is turning Godzilla in the hero of the story (in the 2014's movie he even got an ovation at the end), but vs Hedorah goes too far into Adam West territory. Being the hero who's also kind is more of Gamera's or Mothra's thing. Godzilla works better as an action-kickass hero or anti-hero or as a force of nature above good and evil.

All of this in my subjective opinion, of course.

"Adam West territory"
Now that's funny!!!

I have my moments-

As long as he doesn't try to make it Evangelion 5.0 and remembers he's doing GODZILLA... I think we're good.

Good, I think we can all agree on that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26