Ponies in the Real World 1,686 members · 1,107 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

That's basically what this thread is about. Telling you about this game franchise, since I'm a firm believer that the brony fandom is made up of a lot of other fandom ever, will hopefully help it get more popular and attention, just like what happened with Turnabout Storm did for Phoenix Wright. Also I'll repeat this thread in 2 other group forums, because I feel like the groups that I am in should know about it too. Though I doubt anyone would make a video of that grand scale from this crossover, but let me begin by telling you what the Yakuza series also known as Ryu Ga Gotoku is:

This is a series that is consider to be a Spiritual Sequel to the Shenmue of it's open world feel of being able to do a lot of things in the world that's not related to the main story, such as playing mini games that consists of other Sega games like Virtual Fighter, playing slot machines, batting cages, karaoke, and other fun filled activities besides the usual side quests. But what the game is really is that it's an Action Modern RPG where its battles are like a Beat'Em Up in a similar manner of Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Basically while you run around the city, your "random prexististing monster encounters" are basically weirdos and thugs that want to beat you up. In the battles you have a special attack meter called "Heat" that builds up over combos, hits, and taunts which you'll use against the enemies. They are performed in a variety of ways and they're always fun to watch. I don't think what I said so far isn't doing the series justice so here's a video showing the random battles of the fifth game of the main series which has the "Rage Meter," one of the new features of that game.

Also the second main part of the game is that you'll have to go through "stages" where you have to beat up a whole army of guys in normal beat'em up fashion with a boss waiting at the end, which is one of the most fun parts of the game. Here's an example of a stage where a new game plus player, with infinite Heat (infinite special attacks with no costs) from the third game of the series, which you can buy by the way if you can find it in your local Gamestop or some other game store.

Now is something I've should've started off with first, which is the plot of the game series. I don't think I can do most of the story justice but I'll try to explain it as much as I can. Most of the time something happens in one of the Yakuza families that threatens to start a war between them or within the one that the main character Kazuma Kiryu works in and it's normally up to him to solve the mystery of the problems before they start or stop them before a lot of people are hurt. The plot is normally a very entertaining crime/mystery drama that is too complicated for me to summarize well. It's one of those stories where you actually have to watch or play to understand. It's just that in each installment there's a new mystery to be solved and all the characters are interesting and entertaining in their own right, that you'll have a blast enjoying the plot of each story. I don't think I can accurately describe it well enough but I'll try to list the synopsis of each installment.

Yakuza PS2: The very first of the series and the only one that is dubbed in English. The plot is that Kazuma Kiryu takes the murder rap for a fellow Yakuza member and friend when one of the other members endangered the life of their girl friend (friend who is a girl). After roughly 10 years in jail, he gets bailed out by Yakuza Chairman who is also his Father, but before the Father can explain what happens he gets shot by a mysterious sniper, not only that, a whole lot of money gets stolen as well. Both of these caused a rift in the Tojo clan that threatened the stability of the city and the only way to restore that is to find out which group betrayed whom and find the missing money, which strangely revolves a mysterious little girl. who seems to be the key to all this It's up to Kiryu solve the mysteries in time before its too late even though he's been framed as the culprit all the while getting help from a cop didn't believe that Kiryu committed the murder.

Yakuza 2 PS2: The next installment in the series that revolves around another family threatening to start a war with Kiryu's family. It seems to have stemmed from an event that involved the two families a long time ago and a woman police officer that has ties in this. Kiryu must try to resolve this before things escalate while working with the officer to solve this problem and also trying to find someone to run the family .

Yakuza 3 PS3: In this third installment Kiryu has truly become an Ex-Yakuza and retires to run an orphanage with the little girl from the first game in Osaka. But peace doesn't last this long as he gets dragged into another Yakuza affair, which didn't last this long, until it becomes even more complicated as it involves Osaka property being destroyed and taken by another Yakuza family and another group.

Yakuza 4 PS3: This is where the game starts heading in a different direction and started having multiple protagonists each with their own fighting style and story. The story centers around four heroes with one of them being Kazuma Kiryu, all of them get dragged into a plot that might change "who's in charge of the city." With the mystery being about someone who killed a lot of people in a small restaurant.

I think that's all the synopsis of the games that I can summarize, I just hope that's enough to get you interested in the stories that in this crime/mystery story. Especially enough to consider buying the 3rd and 4th game from your local game store, but if you want to watch them instead of buying them or you can't find them since they're old games, I would recommend this channel of Edmantium as the player here uses his new game plus in each installment of the series to focus on the story. You can find his channel with the playlists of the first 3 Yakuza series in here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Edmantium/playlists But he does have the fourth one, it's just it's not as a playlist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqD2gEPVx3E

And that's everything I can think of talking about other than having 2 different main ponies and 2 different main humans in 4 different main cities, 2 on Equestria and the other 2 on Earth. Which is the kind of the plot of the 5th game which I heard should be coming out translated this year.

...wouldn't discussing a crossover with a video game series be something you'd discuss in the Game Crossovers forum and not the Ponies in the Real World forum?

Just...seems to me that'd make more sense...

I would be really interested if twilight and fluttershy somehow ended up at the orphanage and met kazuma and the kids.

I'm not in the group so I can't do it. I'm not that interested in every game crossover besides a very specific few, so I wouldn't be paying attention to most of the uploads that got in the group. Besides this game is one of the few that is based on the real world, so it's alright to discuss it here.

4058113 Sounds like a really charming scene if that happens. ^^

I'm not in the group so I can't do it.

I'm sorry, how is this a valid excuse? It takes two clicks to join a group. Are you really so lazy you can't browse to the group and click the Join button?

Also, the game being "based on the real world" doesn't matter for shit, because it's still a video game, ergo it's still fictional, ergo it's NOT the real world.

No, there's more to joining than just that. Joining a group just to say something is also not a valid excuse if you're not joining the group for real, especially if you're not that interested in the first place. It isn't worth joining something if you're not going to use the group to help you find specific stories on a broad section, especially if the kind of specific stories that you're looking for are ridiculously small. Even joining temporarily is not much of a good excuse since it'll seem more like spam or trolling than genuinely trying to get people to know about something.

You've Got That Wrong, fictional worlds that are based on the real world still count if its close enough. There's a crossover section in the group's folders ergo these kinds of worlds still count as the real world. It just depends on the viewers' belief on what counts as the real world in the end when it comes to them.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6