The guild of equestrian railroaders 246 members · 131 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

As you all know 611 is running on the Virginia Scenic Railway pulling the Shenandoah Valley Limited for the fall. However I did some digging and found out something very shocking! The route that she’s running on is the former C&O North Mountain Subdivision a CSX owned line and runs empty coal and grain trains to Clinton Forge, Virginia and onto Hinton on the Allegheny Subdivision, but the line is leased to the Virginia Scenic Railway! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but mainline steam has returned to the CSX in the most unexpected way. Could the new heritage units and 611’s running on a CSX controlled line be the catalyst for CSX’s own steam program and will they invite 611 to pull mainline trips including the famous New River Gorge Excursions like in the 80s and 90s when Steam pulls the trips. 2101, 614, 765, 261, and maybe some time soon 611 will join the ranks storming up Scary Hill, West Virginia at track speed displaying the speed, power, and craftsmanship of the Norfolk & Western’s Roanoke Shops on arch rival C&O’s mainline. Maybe 611 will tackle the Blue Ridge Tunnel of the old C&O like 614 did in the 80s.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1