Game Crossovers 5,482 members · 4,415 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

So I was looking through TV Tropes and found a page about Doom (2016) and decided to read it and the WMG page..... when I found a theory that REALLY would make sense in the grand scheme of things regarding the game and possibly the original Doom games.

The new backstory of the game, as told by Codex entries and the Slayer's Testament, has the Doomguy being a member of a knights order called the Night Sentinels, Protectors of Argent D'nur. They bitterly resisted all of Hell's attempts to invade until a traitor within the Night Sentinels allowed a Hell priest to corrupt the Wraith energy that helped to protect it in exchange for the return of his son, who had fallen in battle. The man's son was returned to him...in a corrupted form that is, and Hell's army exterminated the Night Sentinels and absorbed the entire realm. Being the Sole Survivor, Doomguy went on a rampage across Hell as retribution for the fall of Argent D'nur.

But its never specified just who this man who betrayed the Night Sentinels was, or what happened to him after the events in question, but the first part of the Slayer's Testament provides a important clue:

"In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of Armageddon, his soul blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his sword named him… the Doom Slayer."

Why would the Doomguy be 'blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension'? Because he was the one who betrayed the Night Sentinels and allowed the destruction of Argent D'nur to occur. Unable to join his comrades in the afterlife and losing whatever family and friends he had at the hands of the demons, he chose to channel his regret and grief into unending fury, dedicating his remaining existence to the complete destruction of Hell and all within it. This also justifies his violent reaction to the UAC's attempts to use Hell's energies and resources without being the same Doomguy from the first game: He knows first-hand that any dealings with demons will never end well.

Well? Thoughts? Link to the page describing it is here.

Edit: Spoilers are for those who didn't reach the later levels in the game.

Holy crap! That actually makes a LOT of sense. And with how the new Doom game ended, there is a GOOD chance that this game might end up being an episodic version of the FIRST Doom game.

5241380 Actually sorta hoping a full on sequel game to be honest.

Okay well the reason why I said how this game might be the first of an Episodic deal of the FIRST Doom game is because of the Final Boss.

Spoilers. Those who have NOT beat that game, ignore what I say after this. If not, your fault.

The Final Boss of this new Doom game is actually the final boss of the FIRST EPISODE in the first Doom game. There was another 2 (or 3 depending on what version of the first Doom game you got.) episodes.

With how advanced games are today, there is a chance that while this new Doom game would end up being Episodic, each episode would play out as a WHOLE game.

So there is a chance that we might get a whole CHAIN of Doom games with a deeper storyline. I just hope this Doom Chain would cover ALL the episodes of the FIRST two Doom games.

5241386 Not bad.... yet at the same time I'd feel bad that we would basically miss out on the Icon of Sin.

That is why I said I hope this would end up creating a chain of Doom games that covers the rest of the First Doom game and since Doom II didn't have any "Episodes" back then, there will most likely be another series of Doom games to cover that game as well.

5241392 Maybe..... or maybe the second one actually will have Samuel Hayden's mechanical body being the host to a slowly resurrecting Icon of Sin which would justify it just BEING STUCK ON A WALL AND NOT DOING ANYTHING.

...................good point.

5241397 Sorry just.... that IRRITATES me. The demons all treat the Icon of Sin like it's some all powerful demon.... YET IT DOES NOTHING MORE THAN JUST STAND THERE.

We'll just have to wait another couple years until the next game, IF the next Doom game comes out, to see what happens next.

There is also the fact that, from what I saw in the classic Doom II game, it kept CREATING more demons. So for all we know, it might really BE an All Powerful Demon, Hell's version of God. In a twisted way. Seriously. That thing could make demons out of LITERALLY NOTHING, and in INFINITE NUMBERS. So there is a good chance that the Icon Of Sin is considered their God and Father.

Also, now that I think about it, the name, Icon Of Sin, makes me think that it is POWERED by the sins commited by ALL sapient beings.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11