Vamponies (and other supernatural creatures) 2,765 members · 1,115 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

So this is a bit of a goofy idea that came to mind and I thought I would post it and see what you all thought. So as many of you know in some of the old vampire myths, vampires have no reflection when in a mirror (and in some modern interpretations can't be seen in photographs or on video). After watching some anime (Interview with Monster Girls) an idea came to mind.

What do you think of the idea that while vamponies do in fact have a reflection, they themselves are incapable of seeing their own reflection? Maybe it's something where their brain doesn't perceive it or maybe they see it as a blur.

What do you think?

I assumed it was due to mirrors and photographs being made with silver in the olden days.
Silver being "pure" or holy was harmful to vampires.
So vampires.could exist, we just wouldn't be able.to tell.:pinkiegasp:

Good question. Now I wonder how Dracula is so good looking if he couldn't see himself in the mirror...
I'll assume they got a thrall servant to do barber-makeup artist job.
"Little trip there and cut that. You look magnificent, my master."

In the old folklore vampires didn't lack a reflection, they avoided mirrors because mirrors had silver in them and being reflected in silver would harm them. Later, this was reinterpreted as vampires not having a reflection because of either the silver, or because vampires don't have souls.

Why would they not be able to see their own reflection? A metaphor for being unable to reflect on themselves and their action? Inability to understand themselves?

7497695 Just a little twist of thought of based off of a scene in an anime I was watching. In Interview with Monster Girls, there is this girl who is a vampire, named Hikari who keeps asking her younger human twin sister, Himari to help her with her hair. At first Himari thinks it's just her sister being lazy (which is actually the case) until she talks with professor Takahashi about it and he brings up the fact that in myth vampires lacked a reflection, which leads to a heartwarming scene where Himari goes looking for her sister, fearing that Hikari actually can't see herself.

After seeing this, I had wondered what it might be to have a story where this actually was the case, if a vampony actually couldn't see their reflection.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5