• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 2,068 Views, 44 Comments

Salvation - Sandstorm Inkwell



A squad of American soldiers get tossed into Equestria.

  • ...
8
 44
 2,068

Chapter Twenty

Two days had passed since that chaotic day. Many things had happened since then though. We had discovered that the highest ranking person was the Commander aboard the Destroyer (the USS Kinkaid) that sat off the coast of Baltimare. He was quick to assume command of the scattered Coalition forces from what I was told. He had agreed that a meeting of the commanding personnel should be held. However, he had also ordered all units to move to Dodge City by a certain time-table.

Princess Celestia was able to fulfill her promise. After receiving diagrams and explanations of the engines, she was able to modify a combustion spell accordingly. I wasn't told how it worked but all I cared about was that it did work. The better thing was that it was cleaner and was an unlimited energy source. She, and some of the students from her magic school, went to each unit and did the same for their vehicles. They were even able to get it to work on the Blackhawk. When the Commander had heard news of the operational helicopter, he had it transport the Rangers from Hollow Shades to Dodge City to assist the Marines. While the 'copter had to make two trips, the pilots were happy to be back in the air. Likewise, the Marines were happy to get some help.

Movement was happening all across Equestria, actually. The Canadian troops at Vanhoover hooked up with the British Mechanized Infantry in Tall Tale and began to move south to Los Pegasus to hook up with the US Marines there. The French tank platoon in Appleloosa made tracks to Dodge City to further assist the Marines. The Germans near Manehatten started roughing it across the farmland to Fillydelphia to hook up with the American airborne there.

However, there was also movement of ponies. Many ponies began to shy away from the humans near their settlements. Whether this was because of the same feeling as the ponies in Ponyville or because of their sudden activity was unknown. There were also “displaced ponies” leaving Dodge City and appearing in Baltimare, Appleloosa, and Ponyville. They apparently spoke of differing views. Some spoke of the horrors they saw while others spoke of the heroic actions of the Marines. Still others spoke of humans with unconcealed hatred.

The feeling of hate toward us was still an underlying feeling in Ponyville. Though some showed it outright. Whether it be in the way they looked at us or what they said to us. They are not the ponies from the show. We have corrupted them, my brain concluded. I couldn't help but feel that, that was true. They were happy until we came with our machines of war. I knew that although we could never hang up our rifles, we would still have to live separated from these creatures or risk having them all turn against us.

Sitting on the edge of my bed, I looked across the darkened room where I knew Scootaloo lay. I could see her outline, black on black. I was in my boxers with a green undershirt on. Quietly I stood and first pulled on my ACU pants, making sure to tuck in my shirt. After buttoning them, I put on my boots. Blousing the bottom of the pants, I laced up the boots. I then put on my pants belt and thigh holster. Grabbing my jacket, I pulled it on and slowly zipped it up and secured the velcro.

With the uniform on, I grabbed my beret and slid it into my left thigh pocket. I then quietly tip-toed to Scootaloo's bed and looked down at the head poking out from the blanket. Bending down, I softly kissed the top of her head.

“Sleep well... my daughter.”

With tears welling in my eyes, I briefly looked at the note (I had written it last night after receiving the order and after Scoots had fallen asleep) that lay on my desk atop my book. Grabbing the rest of my gear, I slipped out from my room. Walking down the hallway, I noticed that the other doors were wide open, no one in the rooms they led to. As I walked down the steps, I thought of the note. It said:

Scootaloo,

By the time you read this note, I will be gone from Ponyville. Please realize that this was not my choice but the choice of my commander. Though I did not want to leave you, I am a soldier and a soldier obeys orders. Go to Twilight. Show her this note. She is bound to let you into her home as she is angered at me, not you.

I will try my hardest to come back home, Scoots. Know that I will always be with you, though, in heart.

-Tyler

Wet splotches dotted parts of the paper, I knew. I was barely able to finish it, each letter written taking out a piece of me. What a cruel life we soldiers live, I thought.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I walked into the main hall to see the rest of my squad standing there in full battle rattle. They noticed my expression and misty eyes and remained respectfully silent as I donned my gear. The tank had left last night. I found myself being grateful for this.

When I had fully dawned my gear (mask and helmet included) I nodded to Kilborn.

“Alright,” he whispered, “Let's get going.”

We all nodded and walked out of the hall that was our home. None of us were sure if we would ever see it again. Last night, Gonzales had pointed out that we had never opened it to the public. The world had swept that idea aside.

Outside, I walked to the Humvee before turning around and looking at the mead-hall. The first line of an Anglo-Saxon poem came to mind.

“Oft to the wanderer, weary of exile.”

“Cometh God's pity, compassionate love.”

I looked over to see Kilborn nod to me before climbing into the front passenger seat. Slowly exhaling, I gripped the door handle and pulled...

...it didn't budge. I pulled again and, again, it didn't budge. Looking closely at the door, I noticed some peculiar. It was surrounded by a light that was... Purple!

I wheeled around quickly to see a familiar face lit by the glow of her horn. Without letting go of her hold on the door, she walked up to me and looked at me with pleading eyes.

“You're leaving?”

“Yes. We're off to Dodge City.”

“To war?”

“...yes.”

“Tyler, I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-”

“Shhh,” I knelt down before her, a finger to her lips, “You are forgiven. You always were. Back home there are people who cheer when a soldier comes home dead. Your reaction was not the worst.”

She looked surprised but saddened again. When I removed my finger, she looked at the ground and spoke again, “Do come home, alright?”

Putting my hand under her chin, I raised her head. She allowed me to and looked at my eyes, illuminated by her horn. “I will do my best. You must take care of Scootaloo while I'm gone.”

She nodded, tears spilling from her eyes. I wiped away some of the tears, “I have to go now.”

Again, she nodded but her horn dulled until the light was fully gone. After wiping away some more of her tears, I stood and turned. Opening the door, I stepped in.

“Tyler!” Twilight called as I began to close the door. I looked at where she now sat. She was looking down at the ground, thinking. After a couple seconds, she looked up and said only three words, “I love you.”

It took a couple seconds for those words to process. Finally, “I love you too, Twi. I'll try my best to return, I promise.”

With that, I shut my door and Gonz started Athena. We began to roll away and all I could do was stare at the seat in front of me.

“And happy the man who seeketh for mercy from his heavenly Father, our fortress and strength,” Kilborn quoted as he looked back at me by using the mirror. Even though I wasn't religious, all I could do was nod in response to his words. My mind began to drift back to Scootaloo and Twilight. My adopted daughter and my lover. With my left hand, I reached back and rubbed the spot on my back where the tattoo was. I read it in my mind:

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.