• Published 1st May 2013
  • 784 Views, 4 Comments

Opportunities - QuirkyQuills



Old enemies arrive at Sweet Apple Acres - but they seem to be on the up-and-up. For now.

  • ...
1
 4
 784

A Linked Past

"You know, madam, we really can't thank you enough for this opportunity."

Applejack grimaced at Flam's choice of words before turning to the unicorn, expression straddling the line between neutral and skeptical. He was scruffy from a long day in the fields - creamy coat smudged with dirt, branches tangled in his mane and tail, straw hat (rewoven now to be broader to offer more protection from the sun) dark with accumulated sweat - and he was also smiling with contentment as he looked over the orchards.

Contentment she felt at the end of every workday, and tried to ignore in him.

"Uh... it's just Applejack."

He smiled, bowing slightly before bucking one of the few fruit-laden trees still left in the area. He wasn't as precise as she was; still, no apple struck the ground, caught in his magic to be placed neatly in baskets without a single bruise.

"As you like, my dear."

"And don't call me that, either." She scowled. "Anyhow, I... well, any good pony'd give you a little work if y'asked honest-like. This ain't nothin' special."

"Oh, but it is." He gathered up the baskets, still smiling faintly as he looked to where Flim and Apple Bloom seemed to be having some kind of watering hose war. "Takes us back, y'know. Been absolute years."

She blinked, then nodded slowly.

"Right... y'said somethin' about bein' farm ponies." She cast a discreet look to his sliced-apple cutie mark. "Apple farm?"

"Oh yes. Grew up on one, y'see. Not just apples, mind. Oranges. Some pears. Plum and apricot. Mother had a little strawberry garden - honeysuckles too." His voice was a bit wistful; Applejack cleared her throat, shrugging a little.

"Sounds mighty fine. Why'd you leave to... well, t'do what y'do?"

He shrugged as well.

"Sometimes the rhythm of a land changes. I think living close to Everfree, where weather does as it likes, keeps it more stable here. Seems strange, but the chaos there means something to pull from. Wasn't so where we lived, though. Sometimes land reaches a point where it's tired. Gets harder to get the rain you want. Not the pegasus ponies' fault, mind; they did their best til they had no choice but to leave." He bucked a tree with a bit more force than necessary; Applejack winced at the suddeness of it, and Flam's cheeks colored. "My apologies. Anyway, our father thought it'd change if we stuck it out a bit longer, instead of taking saplings and small plants and moving on."

"And he was wrong." Applejack sighed, moving to buck another tree. "Well that's... that's... a real shame." The words felt inadequate, and she grimaced. "I mean uh... Apple Family. Y'know, we ain't been here since Equestria began. Used t'be a wanderin' family. Lookin' for a place t'set down our roots, plant our seeds. Don't rightly know why we roamed, though." She moved toward the last tree. "Same reason, maybe."

"A linked past, then." He smiled a bit, bitter and wistful at once. "Linked, but a different fate for the family that made the right decision."

"Ain't yer fault," she mumbled after a moment. "Losin' that farm I mean."

"I suppose not." Flam sighed, catching a few stray apples as Applejack bucked the last tree. "Still interesting. A linked past, and now a link back to our own. It is lovely to be back on a farm."

"Well uh... welcome to it, long as y'both keep workin' like y'have been." She glanced at his cutie mark again. "Anyhow them apples on yer flanks point right to it."

"Hm?" He glanced at her, head tilting, and then smiled. "Ah, no - that's ot what our cutie marks mean, not exactly." He chuckled, putting the last few baskets with the last. "We'll tell you about that some other time - I think your sister might enjoy a cutie mark story from what I gather."

"Well, yeah." Applejack shook a stern hoof at the unicorn. "Just don't go puttin' no ideas in that filly's head, or you can run after those dadgum Crusades a' hers and her friends."

Another laugh, and he nodded.

"I don't think she could replicate our story, mada--ah, Applejack. But deal."

He looked out over the fields then, at the low-hanging sun glowing gold through green leaves, and sighed.

"This place really is something. A jewel you can see for miles before you really realize Ponyville is even here."

Applejack frowned, looking at him closely.

You scallawag! You two had your eyes on this place the second you rolled up, before you even realized the cider situation!

"It sure is," she said instead. "And part a' that 'somethin' is finishin' up chores an' keepin' th'place in one piece. So let's get these apples in an' put a stop t'yer brother an' my sister b'fore they flood us out."

Flam laughed, helping her lift baskets onto a waiting wagon.

"Yes ma'am! Can't have Cutie Mark Crusaders Orchard Surfers this late in the day!"

She laughed in spite of herself, and with the apples loaded they trotted down toward the barnyard together.

Author's Note:

For the Thirty Minute Ponies prompt 'A Link To The Past'.