• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 599 Views, 16 Comments

The Fight Ballads - screenaholic



Octavia and Vinyl Scratch are renowned for their musical prowess, but when they meet they discover that they share another hidden talent.

  • ...
0
 16
 599

Chapter 2

Thunderous applause filled Octavia's ears as she took her final bow and the curtains closed. She lifted her cello carefully and carried it back to her dressing room. "I do not wish to be disturbed," she said to the security guard as she entered her room. Upon closing the door she carefully placed her cello back in it's case, and after loosening her bow she put it in the same case. She made her way to her dresser and picked up the bottle of whiskey atop it.

It was a good bottle, classy, not that cheap swill most ponies drink. She unscrewed the top, and brought it to her nose, inhaling the aroma. She poured herself a glass and took a drink of it, savoring the taste.

"So you like to party after a performance too huh?" Octavia spun around to see a white coated mare with electric blue hair standing in the doorway.. "Of course, I party all through out the performance too." She giggled and closed the door.

"You? But, I...What are you doing in my dressing room?" Octavia couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"I just wanted to congratulate you on a great performance. Not really my style, but still very good." She said as she walked towards Octavia.

"What are you doing here at all?" Octavia could tell by just looking at her that the mare she wasn't a fan of classical music.

"I knew your name sounded familiar, so after the fight in the alley I looked you up. When I saw you had a performance tonight I thought I'd come and see."

"But wha-"

"I figured it out too." The mare sat down on the couch and leaned back.

"Figured what out?" Octavia set her glass down on the table in the center of the room and rubbed her temples.

"Why you fight biped." She picked up the glass and drained it in a gulp. "Wow, good stuff. Anyway, you learned biped martial arts to give you better balance while you play. But I'm guessing you liked it so much you began studying it seriously. You don't get that good from balance exercises."

"That is none of your business miss..." Octavia trailed off as she realized she didn't know the mare's name.

"Vinyl Scratch, or DJ PON-3, whichever you prefer."

"Miss Scratch," Octavia continued. "This is my private dressing room, so I would thank you if you left. I am still not sure how you got in at all."

"Oh, that was easy," Vinyl said. "I just asked the guard real nicely...and when that didn't work I knocked him out." She gave a mischievous grin.

"You what?!" Octavia shouted. "Do you mean to tell me that you stalked me to find my show, made assumptions about my life, drank my whiskey, and you assaulted my security guard?"

"You forgot the part where I saved you flank last night, and gave you a complement, which you have yet to thank me for by the way." Vinyl said with a mocking smile.

"I want you out of here now!" Octavia thrust a hoof at the door with a look of anger on her face.

"Oh come on Tavi, don't be that way."

"Leave!"

Vinyl shot off of the couch and onto her hooves. "Not until you thank me for the compliment," she shouted in mock anger.

"I will not thank you for anything now go!" Octavia shouted as she rose onto her hindhooves.

Vinyl stared Octavia with a blank look on her face. After staring each other down for a good minute, Vinyl gave a cocky grin. "Make me."

That pushed Octavia over the edge. She charged at Vinyl, running on two hooves, and cocked her right forehoof back for a punch. Vinyl smirked as Octavia ran at her, and she didn't attempt to dodge the punch. Instead, she took the punch dead in the face, but stood her ground firmly, not moving an inch. Vinyl took Octavia's momentary shock at the seemingly lack of success of her strike to kick her hindhooves off the ground and over her into a handstand. She pushed herself fully over, bringing her hindhoof down at Octavia in an axe kick. Octavia leapt back, dodging the kick by an inch as Vinyl landed on her back.

Octavia jumped into the air, aiming to come down on top of Vinyl. However, Vinyl was to quick for her this time, and rolled out of the way. She pushed herself back onto her hooves as Octavia landed, her hoof striking down with a force where Vinyl's head laid moments ago. "That looked strong, if I didn't know better I'd say you're trying to hurt me," Vinyl teased.

"Shut your snout!" Octavia shouted as ran towards Vinyl. As they met, they took turns throwing punches at each other. Most were either blocked or dodged, but Octavia was able to land a few on the DJ.

"Come on Octy, that all you got?" Vinyl teased. "It's going to take more than that to get me out of here." Octavia jumped into a clockwise spin, catching her opponent in the head with her left hindhoof. The spinning kick knocked Vinyl to the ground. "That might do it," she said as she rubbed her head. Octavia slowly walked towards the fallen mare, but as she neared Vinyl shot back to her hooves, grabbed Octavia's head, and struck it full force with a headbutt. "Or it might not," she teased.

Octavia fell back onto all four hooves and stumbled back from the force of the headbutt. She put a hoof on her head, trying to regain herself. "You little..."

"That it Octy? One hit and your out?" Vinyl wiped the blood from her mouth.

"Don't call me Octy!" Octavia shouted as she charged back towards Vinyl, this time on all fours. She threw a punch, but Vinyl caught it with both forehooves. She smiled, and spun around, yanking Octavia with her. As she let go, Octavia flew into the her cello case leaning against the wall.

"Come on Octy, just thank me for the compliment and I'll-" Vinyl was cut off as the door to the cellist's dressing room burst open and three security guards burst in.

"That's her, that's the bitch that knocked me out!" One shouted.

"On second thought Octy, I think it's time for me to go." Vinyl made a break for the window. "Catch you later Octy!" She jumped out the window and ran off.

"Are you alright Miss Octavia?" one of the guards asked, but she ignored them. She leaned her head against the wall for a moment, before a thought entered her head.

"Oh no!" She turned to the cello case that she had been thrown into and opened it with haste. "No no no..." Octavia ran to the window and stuck her head out. "Get back here Scratch!" she shouted. She just caught a glimpse of a white hoof rounding a corner of the alley. "You broke my bow!"