• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 3,154 Views, 79 Comments

The Music that Binds. - Johnfreemanwepon



An OctaScratch story. Not much else to say.

  • ...
4
 79
 3,154

Confession over Coffee.

(Author’s note: This chapter might be any musicians wet dream and/or nightmare [Maybe or maybe not at the same time])

Just then, Vinyl remembered she had to be somewhere. Something about setting up at a club for tonight.

As she was about to leave, a thought popped into Octavia’s head.

“One thing: if you’re going to call me by a nickname, call me ‘Tavi’ instead. ‘Octy’ sounds like you’re calling me an octopus.”

Vinyl thought for a moment. “I guess that could work. See you in a couple hours, tavi.”

They hugged before Vinyl walked out of the door, leaving Octavia to herself and her thoughts.

The grey mare sat down near her collection of music, and her eyes strayed to the small pile Vinyl had in her saddlebags the day they met. Normally, none of it would appeal to Octavia- but she needed to hear where that pony got her inspiration. Vinyl’s skills on the piano were a truly fearsome thing to behold.

Before long, Octavia was lost in the bass and drum beats of the music. She never listened to music much- let alone the dubstep most ponies seemed to like; she always wrote her own songs and they seemed to be pretty much good enough for the crowds that watched her. This was unlike anything she had felt before- the music took control of her body, forcing her to bob her head and tap her hoof, swaying in the beat.

After the songs ended, there was an exasperated silence. Octavia was amazed, and suddenly had an idea for a new song. She sat down at the piano, playing out rhythm after rhythm, the complex opposing parts creating a complete feeling of chaos. It was fantastic. Playing it out on the piano, she could feel several different collisions of genres- all fighting for supremacy and crafting an unparalleled feeling of complete chaos and all lending themselves to a sort of perverse order.

She had to hear more- but she didn’t know of anywhere to get more records. Content with the piano part, she began transposing several of the chords to cello and harp- staples of the “high brow” stage performance.

Suddenly, Vinyl walked in to the living room. The normally clean and organized room was a mess- covered in crumpled up papers, and, strangely enough, several of her record covers. Walking over to the piano that sat at the center of the room, she saw Tavi hard at work on a piece of music. It looked complicated, so she sat down next to the mare- deciphering the strange composition in front of her.

The style was unprecedented- several parts having different time signatures in the same place, and different parts of the same instruments had different key signatures.

It looked like chaos. Realization dawned on Vinyl- ‘so that’s why those records are out of their cases.’

“Whatcha workin’ on, Tavi?” she said, asking simply to clue the mare in to her presence.

Tavi looked up, furrowed brow loosening slightly. “I listened to some of your music,” she stated.

“I noticed.”

“... And it gave me some fantastic ideas. This song... It’s unlike anything I’ve ever written before.”

“I noticed.”

“So... would you like to play with me?”

Vinyl started “uh... What?”

Octavia noticed what she had just said, and blushed furiously. “The song, I mean....”

Vinyl nodded and took her place at the piano while Octavia moved over to her cello. Starting the metronome, she counted off.

“One, Two, Three, Four, One and Two and Three and Four and”

They started off on what looked like a train wreck. It ended up sounding amazing- the conflicting rhythms and times complementing each other perfectly. Vinyl had a hard time keeping up with the time changes- a part that was in cut time instantly switching to 4/4 and back again, before going into 6/8. The other part was easier to keep track of, only alternating between cut time and 3/2.

The key signature was a different beast all together, each measure holding sixteenth note runs would be in an entirely opposite key.

Despite this, the music sounded amazing. It was a perfect marriage of dubstep and classical- a paradox if there ever was one.

“What’d you think, Vinyl?” Octavia said as they finished playing the last note of the song.

“Wow.”

“It’s entirely experimental, though- I would never play this type of music at a formal event. It would be... brash.”

“Why not? If they boo you off, they boo you off. If they don’t, and they rock out to it, then you would go down in history as the mare that created a genre. I swear, some parts of that were like pure rage and others were like flying- carefree, easygoing and open. For lack of a better word, that song is like sex.”

Octavia was appalled at the crude word that was used in describing her song, before letting it go and replying “I wouldn’t know...”

Vinyl was shocked “So you’re still...”

“Yes.”

“Wow.” This mare was full of surprises.

After a long period of awkward silence, Vinyl finally piped up “Whatever, that’s no biggie. It’s not like it’s a big deal, anyway. Just to be fair, I’m still... a virgin as well.”

It was Octavia’s turn to be surprised.

“Really?” She had expected a party pony like this to have been.. around the block a few times. “How do you know what sex feels like then?”

“That’s how other people describe it to me, I never really gave it to much thought- if I ever said that, I figured it was a given that people would understand it.”

“Oh. Wait, if you figured everyone had already had sex, why didn’t you... ya know, do the deed? I’m sure you could get a few stallions lined up in a snap with your line of work.”

Vinyl blushed “I... I really don’t know. I guess I should, some day, but there’s just this feeling... I feel like I shouldn’t, even though there isn’t much of a problem with it.”

“I feel the same way, honestly... I can’t figure it out.”

Vinyl nodded. “Hey, wanna get some coffee?”

“Sure.”

They headed out- deciding it would be nice to go to a cafe instead of making it at home. The conversation would have been awkward, especially after the revelation they had both just made. Hopefully, being in public would steer them clear of any private discussions.

As they walked through the streets, neither of them talked. The friendly conversations from last night seemed to be ancient history. The faceless droves were welcoming- they didn’t have to talk, they only had to keep moving.

“Let’s stop here,” Vinyl said, nearly spitting it out. They were in front of a fancy cafe, the room nearly packed.

“Okay” was all Octavia managed to say.

‘Why is it so uncomfortable now? I’ve told others that I’m... Oh dear, I hope I haven’t scared her off... I never have had a friend who I felt as comfortable with.’

As they were waiting in line, Octavia ran over all the things she could have possibly said wrong. What happened? Why had she confessed this? Things were already a little awkward- they had simply started talking after a gig and Octavia had taken into her home... Did it seem like she was coming on to Vinyl?

Next to her, Vinyl was thinking almost the same thing. ‘I hope she doesn’t think I am weird... At least I haven’t told her I’m a.. a fillyfooler or anything. I don’t know how she would take that, even if she lives in Canterlot... Think, Vinyl, THINK! There’s got to be SOMETHING we can talk about...’

“So... About that music. Did you really write it just because you heard some of my music?”

“Yeah, I did. I guess. It was amazing- I never have felt that way about music before. Sure, I’ve played music, sure, I’ve felt emotions, but this? This was something else. I couldn’t keep myself from moving. And I just... I needed to do SOMETHING. Something... powerful. I needed to give back to the music. I don’t know- is that weird? I don’t think so.”

Vinyl smiled, relieved that the conversation had restarted. As they walked in front of a cafe, Vinyl turned and said “Tavi, I think that’s fantastic.”

Hearing her new nickname sent shivers down her spine- whatever bridges had fallen were erected again, stronger than ever and in full glory.

“That’s actually why I left music school. I felt like I wasn’t doing the music justice, playing it off the page and not changing anything. In my room, I always made new parts for the songs- remixes, improv, solos and all. I just never was able to get it just right- in full glory, playing with the rest of the band. Doing remixes of it off of a record is... so much more fulfilling. It keeps me going, and makes me feel like I’m contributing something. Everything you heard, everything you WANT to hear, I made that. I’m just glad that I made that much of an impression on somepony.”

There was a light cough from right next to them, and they looked to its source. A young colt, no older than twenty, stood there impatiently.

“May I take your order?”

“Uh.. Triple shot mocha. Tavi, what do you want? It’s on me.”

Octavia didn’t know much about coffee, so she just replied “Make it two.”

As they walked to the table, Octavia felt a new wave of relief.

“I always felt the same way- I did the same things, I just did it on stage as well. People always loved my solos, and I almost always put somepony or another in tears. I can’t even begin to imagine how many times a friend who had a bad breakup collapsed into my arms after a show. My music moves people, changes them. I guess we have that in common.”

Vinyl nodded as their coffees were being served.

“It must be hard- always seeing the effects of your music after the show. It’s kinda like writing that way- or maybe boating. You send a ship to sea, and you just wait. You literally don’t know if it’ll sink or swim, but you hope to Celestia it goes over well**.”

Octavia took a sip of her coffee. She had tasted mocha before, but this felt stronger- better, in a way. She recalled her feelings when she listened to the music- it made her cry, it made her bitter, but it made her joyous as well. The coffee was the same way. She looked down and shed a silent tear.

“Uh... Are you okay, Tavi?”

Looking up, she smiled and wiped it away. “Yes. I never thought I would say this, Vinyl, but I respect you. Your work.. It is so amazing. I’ve heard dubstep before, yes, but... Yours had so much soul. I felt closer to you, somehow.”

She placed a hoof on Vinyl’s. “I’m glad we had this talk.”

The sun was going down, and Vinyl looked up, softly. This was like a dream come true.

“I.. I have to go. My gig’s in a few minutes.”

Octavia looked positively downtrodden.

“Waiter?” she called, “Check please.”

Several minutes later, Octavia was walking alongside her. She had finally convinced Vinyl that she could handle herself, and that she wanted to go. Secretly, Vinyl didn’t want somepony to sweep her off her hooves. For some reason, she wanted this mare to herself. The reason was unclear, but she knew not to hide from her feelings. She remembered the playful tongue lashing she had gotten;

“Vinyl Scratch, I am a perfectly rational adult pony. I can take care of myself.”

Shortly after, Vinyl caved. she knew Tavi was rational, and she knew she could trust her to take care of herself. The sunset on the way to the club was beautiful.

***

Vinyl lived up to her name, remixing an old favorite on the spot- her new friend watching with great interest.

The crowd was going insane- their idol was here, and they loved every minute of it. The ponies on the dance floor were headbanging, fist pumping and everything imaginable. The bar was nearly empty, aside from one pony too interested to drink.

After a long time of epic light shows- and a little of Tavi’s new piece played via dubstep remix, Vinyl weaved through the crowd of ponies towards the bar, garnering several slaps on the rear from stallions and even a few catcalls.

“I’d say it was a success,” she said as she reached the bar.

“Ya think?”

“Barkeep, vodka martini. Dirty.”

“Alright, drinks on the house. Never seen the crowd this pumped before. They’ll be beggin’ for drinks later.”

Octavia looked up, and ordered. “Scotch on the rocks.”

Vinyl added, “She’s with me.”

Octavia and Vinyl sipped on their drinks, keeping themselves secluded in a corner of the bar.

“You looked a little uncomfortable, getting that attention from those stallions. Why?”

Vinyl had hoped to dodge this question for a while- she had already made one revelation to Tavi, and she wasn’t sure she wanted to make another one.

Octavia noticed the mare’s smile turn to a nervous look, and put a hoof on her shoulder.

“You can tell me anything. It won’t be that awkward, will it?” Octavia had an idea of the reason, but she wanted to hear it from the... horse’s mouth.

“Well... It’s.. I like mares. That’s all I can say. If you hate me, then-”

Octavia cut her off with a soft kiss on the cheek. “It’s okay.”

Vinyl’s heart fluttered. She pinched herself- not an easy feat for a pony, mind you- to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

“I guess that’s why.. well...”

“Hold it, I never said I liked mares. I just don’t mind you liking them.”

Vinyl was crestfallen. “o-oh...”

“However,” Octavia added, the white unicorn looking up after hearing this, “I’d be willing to give it a chance.”

Vinyl grinned toothily, finishing off her drink.

“How about we blow this joint?”

Octavia downed hers in one gulp, and smiled seductively.

They left, not bothering to pick up Vinyl’s pay. She left the music on autopilot- she could come get her stuff later. Now, they just needed to go home.

“Vinyl?”

“Hm?”

“I think I had fun.”

“Me too.”

(** Author’s note- like how I made TWO metaphors about my writing at once? “A SHIP” and “Writing”? Epic use of literary devices, no? :derpytongue2:)