• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 2,708 Views, 120 Comments

Stolen Minds - TcogArchitect



Humanity is at war with an alien race, but will soon discover that their enemies' greatest weapons are also their greatest liabilities.

  • ...
20
 120
 2,708

Mission Log 12: Judgmental

Published November 11th, 2013

bee-deep bee-deep

"Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash?"

"Yes! I mean, uh, yes, that's us."

"This way, please. The Judges are ready for your petition."

I yawned a little under my helmet as everyone got up. I let Twilight and Rainbow go first, and we all followed after them as the lady guiding us took us to the main elevator. When we got there, she turned around and gave us a slight glare.

"You are aware, Sergeants, that only one spokesperson is allowed with them?" Both ponies snapped around to look at me, obviously unprepared to go in without the company of the two squads.

"We're aware. Arnold? You have a preference?"

"I don't know either of them well enough to be of assistance to anyone, in any way. You go."

"Alright, then." I stepped forward as the rest turned back, and Twilight and Rainbow's faces were both filled with worry.

"I will go over the main rules one more time, just in case. There is to be no out-of-turn speaking, no actions taken by any individual without express permission from the bailiff, and everyone in the court is required to tell the truth to the best of their ability. You may proceed." She moved aside, and we stepped into the elevator that would take us to the courtroom itself. When the doors closed, Rainbow turned to me with her arms folded.

"You could have told us the others would be staying behind." I took off my helmet and put my gun away.

"I did, back when we were going over the rules in the first place. Remember?" She thought about it for a moment, then deflated slightly.

"Oh. Right. You did." I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway. You two need to mentally prepare yourselves. The time you spend out there is going to decide the future of pretty much your entire race, so you need to be ready." They both started regulating their breathing as the responsibility they had was suddenly made very clear. "Just try to stay as calm as possible. I know there's a lot of pressure, but your society isn't the only one resting on this. We tried to keep all this as quiet as possible, but there will have been leaks. You already saw the reporters outside. There's going to be just as many cameras during the hearing, and all of humanity will be watching you, making opinions on what you do in there. Don't worry, though. I know you both well enough to know that you'll be fine. Just be honest, that's all." Rainbow looked at me like I had grown another head.

"Seriously?! That's your big piece of advice? We have the future of our entire planet riding on this, and that's all you've got?!" I nodded.

"Because that's all you need. Like I said, I know you both quite well now. Just be honest, and try to stay calm. As long as you think out your answers, you'll come away from this just fine. So relax. It's time for your close-up." The elevator stopped, and the doors opened into a short hallway. I tucked my helmet under my arm, and started leading them forward. There were guards on either side of the doors at the end of the hallway, who opened them for us as we approached. We stepped out, into a massive glass umbrella which covered the entire court floor, and all eleven of the Judges. Each of the massive towers had a face at the top, carved to look down in silent criticism of all who entered. Between them, huge stands of bleachers were packed with people eager to see the hearing, and in some cases, to make the report of their career, while at least a dozen remote-controlled cameras flew around, focusing in on us as we entered. On either side of us, there was a small booth. Typically used by the defense and prosecution, they would be used now for the supporter and denier. I just hoped we got a supporter who knew what they were doing.

"Case file: three-six-five-nine-nine-six-eight-one." The sound rumbled through the area, silencing the crowd as the lead Judge began the proceedings. "This hearing is to determine the eligibility of the Energy Keeper known as Twilight Sparkle, and the Cloud Buster known as Rainbow Dash, to be admitted pseudo-citizenship in the Earth Sphere Union after the discovery of mind control mechanisms on both individuals. All forms have been filled and completed properly. All directly concerned individuals are present. Are there any who wish to present further evidence before this hearing begins?" There was a long silence as the Judge waited for a response, but none came. "Then we shall begin. Does this petition have a supporter?" I swallowed the lump in my throat as the reply came.

"This petition has a supporter."

I know that voice. I looked up at the supporter booth as Admiral Fallshen stepped up into view. The spectators erupted into murmurs and whispers at the unexpected presence, but quickly went quiet again at the sound of a large, piston-like gavel slamming against the ground in front of the Judge.

"I, Admiral Cordon Fallshen, support this petition, and its signers."

Well that was unexpected. Although now I'm even more worried about who's in the other booth.

"Very well. Does this petition have a denier?"

"This petition has a denier." I looked up with fear as a definitely female voice came from the denier booth.

No, no, please not her! My silent plea was smashed to dust as Admiral Teresa "Impasse" Kulinen stepped into view. If Fallshen was scary, then this lady was downright demonic. Her mouth and nose were normal, but everything above that was metal. Her entire right arm was prosthetic, and her left was almost completely hidden with augs. Her legs were similar, with the thighs covered in weapon holsters, and her lower legs riddled with ammo space. On her back was a large metal box, with four small 'wings'. A booster pack, designed for high-speed movement without the aid of a vehicle. About as fitting a commander for the Cyber Battalion as there could be. Now I knew things were going to be tense. This wasn't the first time I had seen these two butt heads, but it was the first time I was involved, and for good reason. Admiral Kulinen had a reputation for distrusting everyone she met, and killing anything she thought was hostile. And I was pretty sure the ponies fell into both categories.

"I, Admiral Teresa Kulinen, would deny this petition, and its signers."

"Very well. Do the petitioners have a spokesperson?" I forced myself to calm down, and stepped forward.

"These petitioners have a spokesperson." I am so far out of my league, it isn't even funny. But if these two are going to be able to live their lives in peace later, I don't have a choice in this. Admiral Kulinen stared down at me from the corner of my eye. "I, Sergeant Kuro Maldone, will speak on behalf of the petitioners on matters for which they require assistance."

"Very well. Are there any others who wish to support or deny the petition?" Once again, silence reigned. "If no others wish to participate, then this hearing shall now be taken!" The piston-gavel struck twice, and the glass dome we were under went dark, allowing several lights to accentuate the Judges, the Admirals, the ponies, and myself.

Well, this is terrifying. Note to self: do everything possible to not come back here. Ever. Again.

"Supporter. Your opening statement, please."

"Of course." Fallshen shifted some stuff around on the small desk that was hidden from my position, and cleared his throat once before starting. "Over the course of the past three weeks, the aliens known as Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash have been on board the Heavy Insertion Cruiser Star Spectre. During their stay, they have exhibited not only a lack of hostility, but also a desire for acceptance and friendship that goes beyond even our own attempts for peace with the Emrini. It is my belief that we should allow them pseudo-citizenship, so that when we win the war, they will have some idea of our society, and will be able to more easily integrate with the Earth Sphere, should they or others of their planet wish. I would also like to stress the fact that during their time with the crew of the Star Spectre, they assisted with the invasion of Rokan and the removal of Emrini presence there. Furthermore, I have videographic evidence of their value and loyalty both on and off the battlefield, as well as the records of their time being trained by Sergeant Maldone in the Coliseum VR program. Finally, I have several written testimonies from crew members of the Star Spectre, all of whom state their support of this action being taken. As such, I believe that permitting them standard pseudo-citizenship would be a safe and logical next step in peaceful relations with other sentient races." He set his papers down, and we returned our attention to the Judge.

"Extensive evidence, indeed. Denier. Your opening statement, please."

"With pleasure. As Admiral Fallshen stated, the petitioners have been aboard an Earth Sphere Defense vessel for the past three weeks. However, before that time, they were under Emrini control and command for close to two years. We already know that the Emrini have the technology to force their will onto the minds of others. We also know that the Emrini are willing to do anything to anyone in order to get what they want. It is entirely possible that some or all of these beings have had mental conditioning during that time to act as spies for the Emrini, should this precise situation occur. Further, there could be any number of side effects we don't know about that have caused latent violent tendencies to become present, or become more pronounced, in the petitioners or their friends. Finally, I have brought various reports and two pieces of video footage of the abilities of these beings, which will show how dangerous they would be, should they become hostile towards those around them. As such, I believe that further monitoring and testing should be administered before permitting them pseudo-citizenship."

"Your argument has adequate reason to be considered, and, should you have sufficiently convincing evidence, to be enacted. Speaker. Do you have any opening statements?" I thought for a moment, and then nodded.

"I do. As you already know, I have been with these two almost constantly since I discovered them and brought them back. During that time, they have shown absolutely no indication whatsoever of having any residual hostility towards us, or any lingering loyalty to the Emrini."

"A reliable testimony. Are there any who wish to add their testimony?" Silence filled the court once more. "Then it is time to make your pleas. Supporter, show us why these two should be given pseudo-citizenship in the Earth Sphere Union."

"Yes, your honor. Firstly, I would like to draw attention to the mind control units themselves. As we know, similar units were used five years ago on this very planet. Since then, the victims of these units have not shown any lasting effects. They have not shown any increased levels of aggression, and they have not shown any level of sympathy for the Emrini cause. There is no reason, based on precedent, to believe that any form of residual effect is present on the petitioners. Next, I would like to bring up the data records from the Coliseum, as well as the report made by War Master, its caretaker and curator. The data itself shows a distinct similarity to the human mind, and an equally distinct lack of violent thought processing capability. They are simply not born for war. War Master himself states his analysis on this. Quote; 'These beings are strangely like humans in their brain functions, but the fact that they are herbivores, and therefore unequipped with the instinctive bloodlust of a predator, makes them uncomfortable, unaccustomed, and unwilling to cause harm of any kind upon another being. The only reason they have any desire to fight the Emrini is to release their friends from the Emrini's horrific treatment.' End quote. This proves, without doubt, that the petitioners have no desire to initiate any sort of combat. Next, I have the camera files from the helmet of one of the soldiers who was tasked with escorting them during the invasion. Would the bailiff please bring up the video player?" The individual in question nodded, and went over to a small console, where he pressed a button to make a four-way display ascend from the floor. The screens turned on, and an image of the inside of a Kingfisher appeared, obviously taken with a helmet-cam. On the other side, across from the camera, sat Twilight and Rainbow, both in their armor.

"Alright, people, listen up! We're going in hot, so everyone needs to be ready. Check your guns, check your ammo, check your armor. This is one big rescue operation, and we can't afford screw-ups. That means you, Jaron! I want this done right. No fancy showing off, no messing around. We go down, we kill the Emrini, we get the prisoners, we get out. Everyone got that?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Good. Here we go!"

The entire image rocked, and a few seconds later, the main hatch opened, allowing the people inside to file out. As soon as they had their feet on the ground, guns were firing. Twilight already had her shield up when she appeared, and put herself between the Emrini and the soldiers while Rainbow zoomed forward over the rest. Within seconds, the group that had assaulted them was wiped out, and the entire squad ran forward at the order from their CO. The group continued through the trees, following the rainbow trail that marked the path of their pegasus guide. They came out of the forest into a small camp, where Rainbow was zipping back and forth, keeping the Emrini distracted and firing off potshots until the rest of the squad came in, guns blazing. Twilight continued giving cover to the marines close to her, and once more, the Emrini were silenced quickly. The video went dark, and the screens receded back into their space in the floor.

"As you can all see, the petitioners are more than willing to assist us in our efforts against the Emrini. Moreover, they are capable of keeping our own combatants safer than they otherwise would be. However, this loyalty is not confined to the battlefield. One of the members of the squad shown, Lance Corporal Derek Salmont, was killed during the invasion. The petitioner Rainbow Dash has already stated that she will be attending the funeral as a sign of respect." Another wave of murmurs went through the crowd, and I turned to her with a raised eyebrow. She nodded, and I turned back around. "Finally, I would like to read a few excerpts I found to be particularly interesting in the testimonies I collected. Quote; 'This is humanity's chance to prove what we stand for.' Quote; 'They obviously aren't violent. To deny them even the most basic rights provided by pseudo-citizenship would be nothing more than hypocrisy.' Quote; 'They're the Emrini's enemies just as much as us, if not more so. They didn't have the technology to defend themselves, and to not offer them the protection we can provide is cruelty, plain and simple.' Obviously, these are some of the more extreme statements, but there are plenty of others." Fallshen realigned the papers he was holding, and set them aside so he could put his hands behind his back, signaling the end of his statement.

"You make a sturdy argument, Admiral Fallshen. Admiral Kulinen, do you still wish to deny the petition?"

"Yes, your honor."

"Then you may begin."

"Thank you. While I will concede that the probability of the petitioners having lasting effects from the mind control units is low, that does not mean it is impossible, nor do we have any proper precedent for them. The only other instances of these devices being used have been with humans, and the petitioners are most certainly not human. We have almost no information on their biology, and as such we have no way of knowing whether any sort of conditioning was placed upon them during their time under Emrini captivity. Furthermore, it has already been stated that the mind control units placed upon the petitioners are not the same as the ones that were used on the human victims, and are far more effective. Secondly, the report from the AI unit War Master can hardly be considered an expert opinion. He does not have the data or programming of a neurological AI, and therefore cannot be regarded as adequately equipped for a proper evaluation of anyone's brain patterns. Third, I feel that the true motives of the Cloud Buster Rainbow Dash regarding her attendance of Lance Corporal Derek Salmont's funeral should be addressed. She was, at least in part, responsible for his death, having been far too impatient and reckless in her attempts to recover her friends. This recklessness resulted in the entire squad being put under heavy fire by a well-equipped group of Emrini, and Lance Corporal Salmont was killed after the fight by a sniper which had not been detected, due to aggravation in all of the squad's members caused by the petitioner's lack of foresight and preparation." The Admiral paused as more mutterings went sweeping through the crowd, and Rainbow's whole head drooped. A loud slam sounded from the gavel, and everyone's attention was instantly drawn back to the Judge.

"Petitioner Rainbow Dash. This accusation is a significant one, and could seriously damage your standing in this hearing. Do you have anything you wish to say regarding the allegation that you are an indirect cause of death for Lance Corporal Derek Salmont?" All attention was suddenly focused on Rainbow, and I could see her shaking slightly as she thought out her answer. After a moment, she nodded.

"I do. First, that I fully admit that my actions had a direct impact on the attentiveness of all present. Had I had more control over myself, he might not have died. Second, I have already spoken with his commander and the rest of his squad, and they have expressed their gratitude at my offer to attend his funeral. Third, I have no argument against whatever the appropriate punishment for this situation is normally, but if I'm to be punished, I would like to remind you that Twilight did not have anything to do with his death, and should not be held responsible." The crowd once again started talking amongst themselves, and I could see Admiral Kulinen in her booth, giving Rainbow a curious look.

"It is rare for anyone to freely admit to being responsible for another's death, on any level. To be able to do so is impressive. Denier, please continue."

"Thank you, your honor. To finish up my case, I would like to show a few clips of what little footage we have taken of these beings while under Emrini influence. Bailiff, if you would please bring the video player back up?" The bailiff once again activated the four-way, and another helmet-cam video began playing. This one appeared to be happening in a city, though the various piles of rubble and occasional crater made it obvious that combat had been going on for some time there. The helmet's wearer was standing next to a window, with one of his squadmates standing on the other side. The video shifted as he looked around the frame, and showed an empty street.

"Where is it? Where'd it go?"

"I don't know, man, but we'd better get out of here before it comes back."

The image snapped from side to side as the marine looked up and down the street, and then he climbed out the window, still watching around him with short breaths. His partner climbed out after him, and the two started heading down the road. They only got a few steps, though, before something fell to the ground in front of them. Both marines made exclamations at the sudden appearance, but quickly identified it as the body of another member of their squad. The camera snapped up to where the body had come from, and showed a unicorn standing on top of what was left of a flagpole sticking out from the building. The two marines immediately opened fire, but a blue shield appeared, deflecting their bullets away. The mind-controlled unicorn jumped down from the pole, and started slowly advancing on them. The marine that wasn't carrying the camera ran forward, holding his gun next to his hip in a bayonet charge position. The unicorn put out one hand towards him, and he stopped. The unicorn picked him up with telekinesis, and swung him up and around, impaling him through the chest on the flagpole that it had been standing on. The survivor pulled out his own knife, throwing his gun to the ground and shouting challenges as he advanced. When the unicorn was close enough, he made a downward stab at its neck, which was stopped with a single arm. The unicorn grabbed his knife arm, then his other and lowered its horn. The marine's death was punctuated with a strangled scream of terror, and the sound of bones cracking and flesh tearing. When the unicorn pulled its head away, the horn was covered in blood, which trickled down its faceplate. The camera fell to the ground, still attached to the dead marine's head. The video ended with the image rolling to look at the building again, and the screens went black. I turned around to see Rainbow holding her muzzle with both hands, and Twilight leaning against the wall with one arm, both of them obviously doing their best to not hurl all over the courtroom floor. I checked on Rainbow first, since she was closer, and after making sure she would hold her breakfast down, I went over to Twilight. She was heaving, but she managed to keep everything down until the sensation passed. Once she had herself back under control, we returned to our previous positions.

"Are the petitioners able to continue?"

"Yes, your honor."

"Please refrain from vomiting in the court. Denier, you may continue."

"Thank you, your honor. This next recording is somewhat less explicit, so the petitioners should have less issue with it." The screens showed something dramatically different this time. It appeared to be some sort of informational video based on the military. The guy the camera was centered on was holding a microphone, was obviously not used to wearing the body armor he had on, and the quality was much higher than that of the helmet-cams. They were walking along, with what looked like a cliff behind them. The guy with the microphone was keeping pace with a marine, who seemed fairly at ease.

"Here we are on patrol with our chaperones for our stay, hoping not to find anything, although I'm sure many at home will be somewhat disappointed to hear that we aren't planning any action. But tell me, Sergeant, what's the worst thing you've encountered on one of your patrols?"

"Oh, that's an easy one. I was on Sawcus not too long ago, and while I was doing a perimeter sweep, I found an Emrini alpha setting up explosives on the north wall of our base. Fortunately, I had found him before he managed to finish wiring it, and my partner and I were able to take him down. Bastard got one good swipe on my buddy's leg, though, and almost gutted me before we finally got a clean shot on his neck. My partner got an honorable discharge, and I-"

The Sergeant stopped suddenly, and put his hand to one ear, listening to his radio feed.

"What? They're sure? Right, we're heading back now. Come on, we need to move."

"Sergeant, what's going on?"

"Intel reports that there may be an Earth Cracker in the area."

"What? B-but how do they know?"

"They have their methods. Right now, we need to get back to the main road. There'll be a truck waiting to pick us up."

The camera kept rolling as they started jogging back they way they had come, but the sound of a falling tree halted them in their tracks. The Sergeant pulled the microphone guy back from the impact point, and sure enough, an Earth Cracker jumped out of the trees, landing on the one that it had presumably just knocked over. The marine managed to duck when the Cracker jumped at them, but microphone-guy wasn't as fast. The pony's right hoof connected with the guy's arm, and he went flying. The camera followed him as he impacted the cliff wall, bouncing off it like a doll thrown by a child having a tantrum. Obviously, he was dead by that point. The camera turned back around as the operator fell backward and started crawling away in reverse. To his credit, he never stopped doing his job, but he really should have been running to the rendezvous at that point. The Sergeant and the other marine that had been with them were keeping the Earth Cracker on the defensive, but one good strike on the wall brought a shower of impressively-sized rocks falling down around them, breaking their focus as the two marines scrambled to not get crushed. The Sergeant tripped over one of the fallen stones, and knocked his head on another as he fell. The Earth Cracker picked him up, and threw him face-first into the wall, visibly breaking his helmet apart. Unsurprisingly, he slumped to the ground dead. The other marine, at this point, had managed to get his gun into a firing position, and opened up on the pony, unleashing the full-auto fury of his weapon to almost no effect whatsoever. The rounds simply didn't penetrate the armor as the warrior bent its legs and jumped, high enough that the sections of the armor it was wearing were no longer distinguishable from each other. The marine quickly displaced himself, and dove behind a particularly large boulder as the Earth Cracker came back down, creating a small tremor that kicked up a huge cloud of dust, and made the cameraman drop his recorder. Several bursts of gunfire sounded, but the dust obscured any view of what was happening. When the camera's surroundings were finally visible again, the Earth Cracker was revealed, holding the marine by his throat as he struggled to free himself. The remote-controlled killer seemed to suddenly get tired of watching its prey squirm, and threw him at a small tree, which buckled and fell at the impact. The cameraman's breathing suddenly got much louder and shorter, as he found himself the only remaining target for the seemingly unstoppable menace. As the Earth Cracker started moving towards him, though, a new voice rang out.

"Hey! Shakey-legs!"

The image spun to show a new marine looking down at them from the cliff top, rocket launcher ready to fire. The explosive screamed toward the pony, and the resulting explosion concealed its position entirely for a moment. The shockwave bowled over the cameraman, but when he pulled his shaking viewfinder back, the smoke cleared to reveal nothing but a hoof remaining of the threat. The screen went dark once more, and the four-way returned to its home in the floor tiles. Looking back again, Rainbow was looking exceptionally pale, and Twilight didn't seem like she was going to last much longer.

"As you can all see, there is more than sufficient reason to be concerned that these petitioners could turn out to still be under some form of Emrini domination. If just one of them can do everything we just saw, who's to say how much damage fifty of them could do? Or a hundred? If we are to allow them citizenship, on any level, then we must first know the full extents and limitations of their abilities, and find ways of keeping ourselves safe in the event that one or more of them do decide to attempt violence." I heard several murmurs of agreement, but after a few seconds of silence, what the Judge said next surprised me a little.

"Unfortunately, Admiral, you have only succeeded in confirming the supporter's claims of the petitioners' lack of violent tendencies."

"WHAT?!"

"During both pieces of footage, the petitioners had difficulty in simply controlling their gag reflex. We have deliberated, and decided that the probability of the petitioners having adequate training to be able to activate their gag reflex at will is insufficient to believe that they are showing false reactions. Sergeant Maldone, however, had no problem seeing either file. Therefore, it is the opinion of this court that the petitioners Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash do not have a capacity for hostility sufficient to deny them pseudo-citizenship. In addition, the opinions of the AI unit War Master are sufficiently informed as to neurological matters to be taken as fact. Furthermore, the conduct of Rainbow Dash is not, in any way, inferior to, or any more malicious than, any Private who has entered their first combat scenario. As such, this court hereby enacts the demands of petition three-six-five-nine-nine-six-eight-one. Petitioners Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash shall be given the status of pseudo-citizenship, and all rights, privileges, and protections thereof. This court is adjourned."

Author's Note:

Long chapter to make up for short chapter.

PS: I'm never doing a court scene again. For anything.