• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 1,956 Views, 28 Comments

New Perspectives - Alerhys



Applejack, Fluttershy, and their friends and family must cope with the aftermath of a magical accident.

  • ...
0
 28
 1,956

Part Eight

New Perspectives

a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fanfic by Alerhys

Part Eight

Princess Celestia was engaged in putting the sun away for the day by the time the two pegasi flew toward the Sweet Apple Acres barn, soaring down and landing side by side.

“Ah can’t thank you enough for this, sugarcube.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “What’re you talking about, AJ? I had a blast. You’re a natural, you’ve got the basics down pat. Next I’m starting you on fine control.”

Applejack looked concerned. “Ah don’t know about any stunt flyin’, Dash.”

Still grinning, the cyan pony shook her head. “Nah, that’s not your style, but you’re going to want to fly in and around the apple trees, be able to get to where the apples are, right? You have to learn to read the space all around you, how to keep your wings clear, and the finer points of perching. It’s precision work, but like everything else it’s just learning the basics and then practice, practice, practice.”

“That sounds good, but Ah can’t spend all day at flyin’ practice.”

“Don’t worry, most of your practice will be on the job. Your free time I want to spend teaching you about weather.”

“Weather? What for?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes at Applejack. “Well, duh! How great will it be when you can just grab a cloud and put the shade or the shower right where you need it?”

“Huh. I reckon it would be mighty nice at that. Wait, aren’t there schedules and stuff about that?”

Dash waved a hoof dismissively. “No problem, I’ll take care of the paperwork.”

“Ah really don’t know how Ah’m ever gonna be able to repay you for this.”

“You wouldn’t say that if you knew how many apples I’ve poached since I moved to Ponyville. Besides, I told you, I’m really enjoying myself. Teaching you is making me think about all the parts of flying that I haven’t thought about in forever. It can’t help but make me a better flier too, so everypony wins!”

“Well, all right then. See ya tomorrow?”

“Of course! I’ll even get up early for it.”

“So, lunch time?”

“Ha! Seriously, a lot of weather work is around dawn, I just usually grab a nap afterwards. What works for you?”

“If you’re really gonna be up early, just come on over when you’re done. You can nap here as well as anywhere if it comes to that.”

“True enough. See you tomorrow then!” and with that Dash took off, flitting into the clouds.

Applejack ducked into the barn to put her helmet away and retrieve her hat before heading into the house. “Sorry Ah’m late for dinner, everypony!”

At the head of the table, Granny Smith squinted at her granddaughter. “Well, that explains why I couldn’t get word one out of yer brother and sister. Thought you was gonna get taken care of this morning.”

Applejack shrugged. “Official word was ‘Nothing we can do, learn to live with it’. So that’s what Ah’m doin’.” Launching herself with a casual flutter of her wings, she sailed across the room and dropped into her spot at the table. “And Ah’d say that at least now Ah am able to outfly a chicken.”

“Woah,” breathed Apple Bloom, eyes wide.

Granny frowned. “That’s all well and good fer you, but Mac can’t work this whole farm alone while you’re gallavantin’ through the clouds.”

Applejack nodded. “An’ he won’t have to. As mah good friend pointed out to me, Ah still have apples on mah flank, and Ah have to believe that means somethin’.”

“Agrees with what I was thinking as well,” rumbled Big Mac.

“Ah’ll help,” added Apple Bloom. “School’s almost done for summer.”

The eldest Apple sighed. “You three already have yer minds made up, I see. Should have figured that.”

“So yer not gonna throw Applejack out of the family?” Apple Bloom asked, then immediately clapped her hooves over her mouth as her siblings gaped at her.

Granny looked askance at her youngest grandchild. “Land sakes, child, what possessed you to ask something like that?”

Apple Bloom was engaged in an intense study of her dinner plate. “Cousin Fuji,” she answered quietly.

Her grandmother registered surprise for a moment, then resignation. “Oh. Someone’s been tellin’ family business out of turn, I see.”

Applejack’s wings flared. “This happens to me, and you don’t suppose it’s the first thing Ah thought of?”

“What happened to you was an accident. I wouldn’t disown you for losin’ a leg, I won’t do it for growin’ feathers, not so long as you’re willing to do yer best fer the family.”

“Not every Apple works a farm.”

“Barn building, harness making, even bein’ a cook is still farm pony work.”

“And weather work has nothin’ to do with growin’ crops?” Applejack was standing with her front hooves on the table by this point, though she had kept her voice steady.

It was Granny Smith’s turn to examine her plate. “You were young, Applejack. Decio ruled the family with an iron hoof in those days.”

“Decio passed on some three years back. Applesauce is eldest now, an’ you two are closer than two seeds in one core. The Apple Family’s gatherin’ in two weeks. Is a pegasus welcome there or not?” Applejack watched her grandmother’s jaw work, the play of emotion evident in her eyes, ears, and mouth. “I... I don’t know,” she finally answered weakly.

“Granny?”

“I don’t know. I never wanted this, I never wanted any of this. I’m just a farm pony! I love my family, I love my farm, why can’t that be enough?”

The elder mare’s words were like a bucket of cold water on Applejack’s anger. She put her hoof on Granny Smith’s shoulder. “Ah’m sorry, Granny. Ah had no cause to put it all on you.” She sat back down at her seat before continuing. “Ah’ll skip it this one time,” she started, holding up a hoof to forestall interruption as Macintosh and Apple Bloom started to respond. “Next year, after Ah’ve had a chance to show that Ah still belong and everypony’s had a chance to hear about and get used to the situation, Ah can come without causin’ a ruckus.”

Big Mac waited for Applejack to finish. “Still doesn’t seem right.”

“I don’t want to go if you don’t go, sis,” added Apple Bloom.

“None o’that now,” replied AJ. “Ah’m countin’ on you ta tell mah story and keep the rumors from gettin’ outta hoof, and that means all of you.”

“But we’ll be leaving you all alone!”

“Durin’ the Summer Sun Celebration, AB? Ah don’t think you have ta worry about that. Now look, Ah’ve delayed supper long enough. Let’s dig in!”

Though perfectly willing to load up her plate and start eating, Apple Bloom’s curiosity was undiminished. “So how come you can fly so good all of a sudden?” she asked her sister between bites.

“You have ta ask? When yer teacher is the best flyer around pickin’ up the basics ain’t too hard.”

“Rainbow Dash gave you flyin’ lessons?”

“You sound surprised. She’s only one of mah best friends.”

“Wait’ll Scootaloo finds out, she’ll be so jealous. So how did Rainbow Dash teach you?”

“Same way you learn anything, Ah guess. Mostly she told me what Ah needed to know and when Ah tried it out she gave me pointers on what Ah was doin’ right an’ wrong.”

“So what did she say?”

Applejack glanced over at Granny Smith. “Ah don’t think it would make much sense to you, sis. Flappin’ rates and feather angles and such.”

Apple Bloom looked disappointed. “Oh. Guess not.”

The rest of the meal passed in relative silence. Applejack offered to do all the cleaning up since she had been late, but Apple Bloom volunteered to help with the dishes. At the sink, dish towel in hoof, she looked up at her big sister with concern written on her face. “AJ? Did you mean it about your flyin’ lesson or did you not wanna talk about it in from of Granny?”

Her sister shrugged. “Both, Ah guess. Ah don’t think what Dash told me woulda made much sense to me last week, an’ Ah don’t see any point in gettin’ Granny any more stirred up.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it, sis.”

Applejack stretched her wing over Apple Bloom, pulling her into a hug. “Ah know ya didn’t, AB. It’s just as new ta you as it is ta me, an’ Ah don’t blame ya for bein’ curious.”

The filly snuggled into her sister’s feathers. “So when do I get a ride?”

She got a grin in reply. “Ah don’t know, you’re a pretty big pony to be flyin’ around with.”

“Oh, now I’m a big pony?”

“Tell ya what, Ah’ll ask Dash about what it takes tomorrow.”

“Really? Thanks! That’s great!”

“Now let’s get these dishes done. Ah got a lot to talk to Mac about tonight.”

After the sisters finished the dinner cleanup, Applejack came back out from the kitchen to find Macintosh with maps and ledgers already spread out on the table. “Thanks, Mac. Ah guess I’ve been holdin’ things up all day.”

The stallion shook his head. “You’ve had a lot to deal with, and that’s a fact. Plenty of time to talk about what we need to do.”

Applejack sat down next to her brother. “Ah guess if there’s anything to be grateful for it’s that this happened at the beginnin’ of summer. Next spring is gonna be the hardest part, I reckon.”

“How so?”

“Ah... can’t hear the trees anymore, Mac. Mebbe a little, but not like before. Ah hope they can still hear me a little too, but that may be wishin’. The spring planting, Ah don’t know how well it’s gonna work for me.”

“Gotcha. So you need to do more of the physical stuff while I sweet talk the sprouts. Makes sense.” Big Mac pondered for a moment, then added, “You know the way pegasi haul wagons through the air? That would be a mighty big help with this.”

“By gosh, Mac, you’re right! Ah’ll ask Dash about it tomorrow.”

“Now summer, that’s more keeping an eye on things, and what with you bein’ able to see all sides of the problem with your superior pegasus vision, I figure we ought to do OK there.”

“Oh, yeah, I remember Dash sayin’ something about pegasus eyes.” She looked at her brother. “So how come you know about that?”

Macintosh grinned. “It’s called ‘paying attention in school’, sis.”

“They talked about that in school?”

“And so my point is made.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah guess that you musta already given this some thought, since you already know so much about pegasi.”

“It might have crossed my mind.”

“Big Mac, have I told you lately how lucky Ah am to have you for a brother?”

“It’s understood, AJ. Now lets figure out our schedules.”

***

“Flying with a wagon? Yeah, I can see how you’d want to do a lot of that.”

“So can you give me a lesson on that before we get to the weather stuff?”

“Ah, sure, but, um,” Rainbow Dash grinned sheepishly as she replied with a hoof behind her head, “I can do that, but I’m not that good at it. Not my style, you know? Even Fluttershy was better at it. Tell you what, though, after I get you started with it we can talk to ol’ Crate. I know he’ll help you out, nopony in Ponyville is better at air hauling than he is.”

“Ah surely would appreciate it. After Ah finish today’s tree inspection, we can use the light cart for mah first lesson, OK?”

“Fine, but I’d still like to start teaching you about clouds before evening.”

“It’s a deal.”

***

A smile lit up the white unicorn’s face as her friend came through the spa’s front door. “Fluttershy, darling! How are you today?”

Fluttershy smiled at Rarity. “I’m doing well.” As she joined her friend in the entry room, she turned to the receptionist and added, “I’d like the full earth pony treatment, please,” before looking back at Rarity and adding “but I really need some hoof care today.”

As the two ponies were led into the spa’s interior, Rarity took the opportunity to examine the yellow pony’s hooves. “My, but they do look a bit chipped. Whatever have you been doing?”

“Well, so many critters live in trees, and up in the hills, so I have to climb to get to them.”

“Of course, I should have known. What about using a ladder?” the unicorn replied as they settled into the baths and began to soak.

“That’s fine for near the cottage, but carrying ladders everywhere is more trouble than learning to climb was.”

“Well, I can see that. Perhaps you should ask Applejack for some tips on using a rope?”

“Oh, that’s a wonderful idea! Well, after she’s a bit more, ah, settled in?”

Rarity nodded, though with cucumber slices over their eyes neither mare was able to see it. “When I saw her yesterday, she did look a bit unsettled.”

Fluttershy sighed. “It hasn’t been easy for her, I’m sure.”

“Is it so different, having your own wings? I was able to use the ones from Twilight’s spell right away.”

“I think the difference is that the spell added wings to what you are. What happened to us was an exchange; she’s a pegasus now, just like I’m an earth pony.”

“I’m not sure I follow you, darling.”

“You don’t? Earth ponies work the land, pegasi work the sky. Everypony knows that.”

Rarity began to answer, then paused as Fluttershy’s words sank in. “Wait. Are you saying that Applejack isn’t a farmer any more?”

“Oh, no, I don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, I was able to take care of animals and tend my garden before. But it’s not going to be easy for her.” Fluttershy thought for a moment. “Suppose that you became an earth pony. You would still be able to design, but making the dresses would be a lot harder, right?”

“I should say! Not that I couldn’t, mind you, but so many things would be more difficult. No offense.”

“None taken. Anyway, it’s not as direct, but that’s the situation that Applejack is in. I’m sure she’ll work it out, but I shouldn’t add anything else for her to worry about just yet.”

“No, I suppose not. And thank you, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, you’re quite welcome, but for what?”

“Your splendid analogy. It was quite enlightening.” Rarity paused, then continued in a lighter tone, “And speaking of insight, have you read about sashes being the new fashion accessory trend from Manehattan? I’d like your opinion.”

***

The new pegasus listened attentively to the experienced one. She’d finally exchanged her hat for an old pair of Rainbow’s goggles, having grown weary of having it blown into her eyes or off her head, or getting it caught in the branches of a tree.

Dash gestured, her hooves indicating the collection of clouds high over the forest. “Now there’s a bunch of big words that they use in the regular classes, but all you really need to know about clouds is size, density, wetness, and darkness.”

“Ah got ya,” Applejack replied. “Kinda like soil, then.”

“Sure, that works. Except dark means lightning, so you want to stay sharp about that part. Head for that big fluffy one there, and I’ll show you some cloud wrangling.”

Applejack followed her teacher toward the cloud in question, gingerly landing on top of it. “This is the hardest part to get used to. It spooked me the whole time we was at the Young Flyers Competition, havin’ clouds feel like somethin’ solid-like.”

“Huh. That’s so obvious when you say it, and I never thought about that part. I guess we should start by just letting you play around with some clouds, get a feel for it, take your time.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah never in mah life thought I’d hear those words outta Rainbow Dash.”

Dash grinned. “Is that so? Blame Tank. Owning a tortoise is a great way to learn patience.”

Applejack smiled back. “If you say so, sugarcube.”

***

“Good evening, Twilight!”

The unicorn being addressed looked up from her book. “Evening, Rarity. What brings you by the library?”

“I’d like to request your expertise for something I had in mind concerning Applejack.”

Twilight’s face fell. “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing I can do for her.”

Rarity laughed lightly. “Au contraire, mon ami. I’m confident that there is.”

The other unicorn shook her head. “Not even the Princesses have the magic to change it.”

“Oh, you misunderstand me, dear. It’s not your magical expertise I’m calling upon.”