• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 2,186 Views, 69 Comments

It's Not Easy Being In Love (Chronological Version) - Gutovi



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have feelings for each other, and they have to go through a lot to be together. In the brightest hour a shadow covers it all, and in the darkest moment, light will show you the way.

  • ...
10
 69
 2,186

Chapter 4

Date: King Sombra’s Attack to the Crystal Empire
The Mane Six and Shining Armour enter the city.
Location: Outside the Crystal Castle, Crystal Empire.
Point of View: Rainbow Dash

“Y’all remember yer line?” Applejack whispered.
“Of course I do, I’m the prank master here, remember?” Rainbow Dash asked.
“Now who came up with this here idea we’re ‘bout to pull?”
Rainbow Dash had to admit defeat and flatly told her, “You, Applejack.”
“Now, Ah think she reached critical state, watch this,” the element of Honesty stated as she walked away from Rainbow and next to Rarity, who was having a breakdown just by looking at a whole city made of crystal.
Rainbow Dash couldn’t quite hear what she said, but she knew that when Applejack walked away from Rarity, it was her turn to say, “Ugh, I don’t see what the big deal is. Just looks like another old castle to me…”
Applejack winked at her from her place and they both prepared to hear the fruit of their labour.
Rarity started mumbling and then she said, exasperated, “Pff… Another old? Have you LOST your mind!? Look at all the magni-”
And Rainbow Dash couldn’t hold the laughter anymore, and she started snickering soon followed by Applejack, who held a hoof in the air, waiting for her to bump it. She did just that and walked up the stairs, smiling at the orange mare. The same orange mare who became her very best friend in the past years.
But she was also the mare that made her knees go weak, the mare that put her up when she was feeling down. “Dang… there’s nopony like her in the whole wide world… And that’s why I’m sure she wouldn’t love me back…” her smile suddenly faded. Luckily Applejack wasn’t looking her way by then, or she would have worried and asked a question Rainbow wouldn’t be able to answer.
The speedster pegasus saw Applejack leave her side to go and talk to Rarity. She couldn’t hear what they were saying since they were whispering, but she looked at Rarity’s expressions.
First were feigned indignity and a weak giggle, her expression then went to surprise, then her smile turned sympathetic and her eyes looked worried. Her smile started turning into a frown and she ended up looking at the floor, looking really sorry about something. Lastly, she put a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder and whispered into her ear.
Applejack nodded and looked forward, finally revealing her face to Rainbow, her eyes were teary and she looked sad, really sad. The whole atmosphere around her seemed to reflect her feelings. Rainbow could notice everything seemed to look bathed under a blue light.
N-no… Tell me what just happened is not what I think just happened,” she thought, shaking her head, trying to shake the images off her head. “Please tell me Applejack didn’t just… TO RARITY!? Of all ponies, I had to lose my mare to Rarity!?



Date: King Sombra’s Attack to the Crystal Empire
The Mane Six and Shining Armour enter the castle
Location: Inside the Crystal Castle, Crystal Empire.
Point of View: Applejack

“Hey, Rarity, can Ah talk to y’all?”
“Oh, so now that you need me, you come and talk to me after pulling a prank? How rude of you,” the fashionista said, feigning being insulted and giggling.
Applejack sighed and said, “Sorry Rare, Ah’m jes trying to get close to her, but Ah can’t get to her. Ah think it’s a lost cause.”
The white pony gasped and then looked at her with a sympathetic smile. “Do not say such things, darling, never give up on love if you are not completely sure she does not love you back, or love another pony.”
“Ah dunno anymore, Rare. Ah guess Ah’m not good enough fer her… Ah’m not good enough fer nopony...”
Rarity looked at her worried. “No! It is not like that dear! Do not let me ever catch you say something like that again.” She looked down to the floor, it looked like she was pondering what to do next. Then she looked at her again, got really close and whispered.
“I will tell you what we are going to do. It is my last resource, so if this fails, I do not know what else can we try.”
“What is it?”
“Every time you see her around, try to say something flirty to me, compliment me or something. Maybe that could make her feel a bit jealous, and gets her thinking about your relationship.”
“Ah don’t like the idea, Rare, Ah hate deceiving RD. N’ y’all know Ah can’t lie!”
Rarity’s eye cringed and Applejack could swear her curls were frizzing. Between her gritted teeth said, “Are you saying you can not say anything good or pretty about me without lying?”
“Ah didn’t meant that, Rare, it’s jes that Ah don’t feel that way ‘bout y’all, so it makes it harder fer me to say sumthin’ pretty that Ah really feel. Ah ain’t saying yer not pretty.”
“Alright then, but it’s our last resource.”
“Ah guess y’all are right…” Applejack replied while walking sombrely towards the throne chamber, where Cadence was waiting.



Date: After King Sombra’s Failed attempt to take Crystal Empire back.
The Mane Six are on their way back to Ponyville.
Location: On the Friendship Express, Crystal Empire Outskirts.
Point of View: Rainbow Dash

“But good things are better when they are a rarity” mockingly said Rainbow Dash, clearly annoyed. “What. The. Hay.”
“C-come on Rainbow, calm down.” Fluttershy said, trying to keep her friend from doing something stupid. “Y-you’re going to wake the others up. Besides, you don’t want the others to hear you’re jealous of Rarity.”
“I’M NOT JEA-” She lowered her voice and whispered “I’m not jealous of Rarity.”
“Uh… yes, yes you are, that’s why you came to talk to me in the first place… remember?”
The speedster pegasus sighed, she was headstrong, but she knew when she was beat. “You’re right Flutters, I never thought I’d say this but I’m jealous of Rarity.”
“M-maybe she was just being nice… or just tried to avoid a whining Rarity… you know how much AJ hates when she gets like that.” Fluttershy suggested.
“No, no. I’m sure of what I saw!”
“But you couldn’t hear them… you shouldn’t make assumptions, maybe they were talking about… f-fashion?”
Rainbow remained silent, but her glare spoke more than anything she could’ve said.
“M-maybe they were talking about their sisters?”
“Well… the two are part of the crusaders… and I think the girls were having a sleepover that night at AJ’s house.”
“There! Maybe they were worried or… something?”
“I’m still not happy.” Rainbow Dash said crossing her hooves, pursing her lips and looking to the floor angrily.
“Well… why don’t you get closer to Applejack… try asking her subtly, or just be close to her. Maybe she’ll notice you more that way. Or…” Fluttershy’s eyes went wide and she smiled widely “You could go to the orchard and help her with her work! I know it will be tiring, but I assure you she’ll love you if you do! Besides, it would be a good workout.”
“Are you saying I need to workout?”
Fluttershy gulped “Uh… You’ll have a better body to impress her?”
“Huh… that sounds like a good plan… Thanks Shy, I think I’m feeling a lot better now.”



Date: After King Sombra’s Failed attempt to take Crystal Empire back.
The Mane Six are back on Ponyville.
Location: Ponyville’s Train Station, Ponyville.
Point of View: Applejack

“Rarity, Ah think yer lil’ plan jes got her angry.”
“Ah, but have you thought why would she get angry by you ‘hitting on me’?” Rarity said smiling slyly.
“Ah think she jes think Ah’m spendin’ more time with y’all than with her, n’ want that to be the other way ‘round.”
“But was not that what you wanted?”
“But as mah marefriend, not mah best friend!”
“Well...” Rarity pondered. She always bragged about how good she was at match-making and ‘the art of love’, she couldn’t let that reputation fall, and less with two of her best friends. “You could come home this afternoon and we can think of something to do.”
“That sounds good, see y’all later then.” As applejack turned around to walk home, she heard somepony calling her.
“AJ, wait!”
As she turned around, she noticed Rainbow Dash running towards her.
“What is it RD?”
“Hey, I need to talk to you.” She stated.
“Sure, what y’all wanna talk ‘bout?”
“Look… I’ve been thinking, and I wanted to know if I could uh… go to you to the Acres and spend some time with you… working and helping you around the farm.”
Applejack was very surprised about what she heard “Are y’all serious?”
“Yeah! I wanna spend more time with you, and since most of the time you’re not hanging out with us is when you work, I wanted to know if I could work with you!” She then puffed out her chest and grinned. “Besides, applebucking is going to be a great workout! We all can see the wonders it did on your fla-I mean on your health! You’re always in good shape and rarely sick!”
Rarity walked behind Rainbow Dash so she could make signs to Applejack without the pegasus noticing. The first thing she did, was to nod repeatedly.
“W-well, yeah! Ah guess an extra hoof won’t hurt on the farm, at all.”
“So… what do you say if we start today!”
Rarity started pointing herself.
“Well… Actually Ah was gonna hang out with Rarity today… y’all know, jes the two of us.” After she noticed the look Rainbow gave her, she understood what Rarity was after. “But… fer y’all Ah could jes tell her we’ll do it another day.”
“Yes!” Rarity exclaimed.
The two other ponies looked at her surprised, and she quickly explained, though Applejack knew it was a lie “Sorry, I just remembered that uh… tomorrow I receive the new ‘Fashion Weekly’ issue... and uh, you know how much I love fashion!” Her smile started quivering, she then turned around and ran toward the boutique “See you girls later! Have fun at the farm.”



Date: After King Sombra’s failed attempt to take Crystal Empire back.
Rainbow Dash’s first day working at the farm.
Location: Ponyville’s Train Station, Ponyville.
Point of View: Applejack

“So, we’re starting today?”
“Let’s start teachin’ y’all the technique n’ stuff before we start with the applebuckin’.”
“Okay, let’s get going then.”
“Y’all are really excited aren’t y’all?” Applejack asked smiling at the pegasus.
“Isn’t that better?”
“It is, unless y’all are too excited to stay still n’ listen to me tellin’ y’all what to do.”
“Don’t worry, I’ll listen to every word you say, count on that.”
Well this is mah best chance to make sure y’all don’t do that. Too much for playing the nice way, no more trying to get y’all by showin’ mah fun n’ prankin side, no more trying to get you through yer stomach. Ah’ll be as sensual an inviting as possible n’ try to get through yer eyes n’ yer most feral n’ basic instincts.” she sighed and continued thinking “Ah hope those seduction methods Rarity taught me but Ah didn’t want to use prove to be useful now.
The blonde mare looked at her friend and decided the best way to start.
“Ah’m glad y’all are so eager. First we’re gonna do sumthin’ y’all won’t like. Y’all are going to get used to be second in the chain of command. N’ to do that, Ah’m gonna walk in front of y’all, n’ y’all can’t complain nor talk, unless Ah ask y’all something, understood?” Applejack said, looking at her sternly trying to look as much of a high-rank member of the royal guard as she could.
“Okay.”
Applejack coughed a bit and stared at her friend.
“Yes ma’am?” Rainbow Dash said inquiringly.
“That’s better.”
Applejack made a little trot to get in front of her new applebucking apprentice and started walking, adding a little swing, a certain sway of the hips that she was told by Rarity ‘will most certainly get her to at least look at your behind, which is, I got to say so myself, positively uh… eye-catching and more than good-looking.’ “Besides, RD liked mah ‘kicking curves’… Ah wonder if she’s still jealous n’ she’s trying to have the same body by applebucking.

After some minutes of walking, no word came from the pegasus, which make Applejack wonder “Ah’m not sure if she’s a quick-learner, or if she’s too distracted… Guess there’s one way to know.” Apart from the seductive walk, she decided to start swinging her tail with her flank, showing a bit more of her behind. It was imperceptible at first, but she started moving it more and more until with a particularly wide swing she revealed something with the hope of getting a good response.
Her ears perked as she heard a little *POMF* behind her, and a grin appeared on her face. “Rainbow may not know what it means, but Ah knew what that ‘wing springing’ meant. Ah’m getting her! she mentally patted herself on the back and noticed a little rock some hooves away.
“Everything alright Dash?”
“Uh-huh…”
Ah could tell her to say ‘ma’am’, but knowin’ she’s all distracted is a whole lot better.” “Okay, now be careful, there’s a little rock right here, don’t wanna trip n’ fall do y’all?”
“Uh-huh….WOAH!”
Applejack heard the pegasus say before hearing her whole body hit the floor.”Perfect.. “Y’all alright Sugarcube?”
“Yeah, just tripped over a stupid little rock.”
“Ah told y’all to be careful.” Applejack said, not even looking behind at her friend.
“You did? Sorry, I was distracted by… uh… that strange apple-shaped cloud.”
“What!?” “She’s gotta be lying, don’t tell me Ah did all that n’ she wasn’t even watchin’!” looking up she realized there was in fact, an apple-shaped cloud “N’ now Ah dunno if she was lookin’ at the cloud or if it’s a lie, too late to notice. Consarn it! Anyways the plan is still up, Ah’ll just have to do a better job at the farm.



Date: After King Sombra’s failed attempt to take Crystal Empire back.
Rainbow Dash’s first day working at the farm.
Location: Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville.
Point of View: Rainbow Dash

I have no idea who did that apple-shaped cloud, but it saved my flank. I just couldn’t stop staring at her flank... that swing had me drooling all the way here.” she noticed her wings were rigid as planks once again. “And what in the world is wrong with you two? I’m starting to believe this wasn’t my wisest idea, if I can’t even walk to the Acres with her, I won’t be able to work with her everyday.
“We’re here Dash. Come with me, Ah’ll show y’all the applebuckin’ technique.”
Rainbow Dash walked next to Applejack, toward an apple tree that had no apples. “AJ… this one’s empty.”
“Ah know, it’s fer y’all to practice. Now c’mere.”
Rainbow Dash positioned herself as she saw her orange friend do many times.
“Now, the most basic thing is positioning yerself. Applejack said while walking towards Rainbow’s flank. The orange pony swung her tail at Rainbow’s face, a gesture that made the daredevil pegasus feel blessed.
This is bad…
“Y’all see, if y’all get yer flank too close to the tree…” the orange mare said as she gently pushed Dash’s flank closer to the tree. “Yer kick won’t be complete, so it will not only end up with the baskets empty, but it also with y’all hurting yerself.”
“Uh-huh…”
“Now, if we get a little farther…” Applejack whispered into her ear as she pushed Rainbow’s flank once again, but this time away from the tree.
This is definitely bad…
“Y’all will miss the tree. So y’all need to be at the exact distance from the tree.” She finished, moving her cyan friend once again.
“I can’t do this.”
“Huh?”
Oops, shouldn’t have said that aloud… but it’s true, I can’t.” “I’m sorry Applejack but I can’t take anymore. It’s too difficult.” She looked away to try to lie and not being busted “A-actually, I’m here because… uh… Pinkie dared me! Yeah… that’s right. B-but I can’t do it, i-it’s not my stuff…”
Applejack seemed a bit pained, but understanding.
“A-ah guess Ah understand… W-well… Ah hope y’all change yer mind one day. Ah’d love to have y’all here.”
“Okay see you later!” With that, Rainbow Dash took off and flew away. “Smooth move Casanova!” she thought, while facehoofing.