• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 446 Views, 8 Comments

Cristalli Crescenti: The Growth of a Crystal - Aquilamarch



1,000 years ago, after the banishment of Dictator (or King,) Sombra, Princess Cadence is left an orphan. She ends up staying in Canterlot with her aunt, Princess Celestia and her life is forever changed.

  • ...
2
 8
 446

Only The Beginning

My dearest niece Cadence,

I am terribly sorry for your loss. Your mother, Empress Cristyllo Di Curore, was a kind-hearted mare who died selflessly. I am sure that you are very devastated as you were very close to your mom, however, your mom and dad would want you to be happy. I would like you to move to the country of Equestria, where Luna and I co-rule. We both thought that you would like to stay close to us until you are of age and your empire returns. Please do not worry of your past; everyone in Canterlot will warmly welcome you. If you would like to stay with somepony else, please let us know.

-Your Auntie,

Princess Celestia of Equestria

Cristalli Crescenti
The Growth of a Crystal

It had been two days after the downfall of Dictator Sombra and his tyrannical rule, a young Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was still recovering from the shock of her mother’s death. She could not get over the fact that she was now an orphan. Her father had died two months after her mother had assumed the throne; the emperor’s funeral took place a couple of weeks after his death. Despite her husband’s death, Empress Cristyllo Di Curore was still a strong ruler and she loved her subjects as she loved her daughter Cadenza. They were very close and despite the empress’s busy schedule, she still managed to find some time to spend with her daughter.

Although they spent a lot of time together, Cadenza always saw that her mother’s eyes were always filled with sadness and regret. Cadenza was much too young to figure out why. After years and years of Empress Cristyllo’s rule, a dark shadow-like creature erupted from nowhere and took over the Crystal Empire. This shadow-like creature took the form of a stallion and declared himself Emperor Sombra, forcefully taking the empress as his wife. Sombra treated his subjects like slaves, forcing them to mine more crystals from the mines to fuel his power. He locked the Crystal Heart away in the tallest tower so that nopony would dare overthrow him.

Eleven months passed under his rule, and Empress Cristyllo understood that she had to take action, or else the crystal ponies would suffer even more under Sombra’s rule. She decided to contact the princess of Equestria, but Sombra eventually found out about his wife’s treason. Empress Cristyllo tried to fight off Sombra as the royal guards evacuated everyone from the empire; however, Dictator Sombra won without difficulty. The princesses of Equestria came and banished Sombra away, trapping him deep into the ice of the Artic North. Princess Celestia and Luna were too late though, as Empress Cristyllo had already passed away. The princess carried Cadenza away with them as they watched the Crystal Empire and the crystal ponies disappeared into thin air.

My Auntie Celestia,

Thank you for inviting me to stay in Canterlot, I have decided to move into the castle with you and Luna. Please do not worry about me; you have important things that you have to attend to. I will come tomorrow morning and I look forward to seeing you again.

-Your niece,

Mi Amore Cadenza

The very next morning, Cadenza arrived in Canterlot Castle safely. She got off the carriage and was escorted to the throne room. Cadenza looked around the throne room; it was filled with stained glass that depicted several important events in Equestria. It was breathtakingly beautiful, and there was a throne at the end of the room. The guards closed the grand doors and stood behind Cadenza.

“Princess Cadence, welcome to Canterlot Castle,” Princess Celestia said, with a warm smile. “Guards, do you mind standing outside?” Celestia dismissed the guards and the doors were closed yet again. “Please, come,” she said, gesturing Cadenza to come closer. Cadenza walked over to Celestia’s side.

“Hello Auntie,” Cadenza smiled, “Do you have something to tell me?” Celestia offered Cadenza a seat.

“Cadence, please, you do not have to talk so formally with me, I am your aunt after all. I want you to be comfortable here. I just wanted to tell you that you do not have to worry about anything here, please leave all of the worrying to me. I wanted to tell you that as a princess, you need to have a job. It is part of your studies as a princess. I want you to learn how to treat your future subjects with respect,” Celestia said. Cadenza fidgeted uncomfortably in her seat. “Do not worry; you won’t have a job until you are physically a teenager. We cannot have a kid working now, right?” Celestia winked. “You can go to your new room now Cadence, you need to get some rest after your long trip here.”

Years Later
After the banishment of Nightmare Moon…

Princess Celestia locked the Elements of Harmony away in a jeweled chest. She walked and sat down in front of the stained glass that depicted of her and her sister. Princess Cadence had walked pass and stopped to see how her aunt was faring. “Auntie…?” She quietly asked, but it was still loud enough for Celestia to hear her. Princess Celestia smiled weakly.

“Please, it is okay for you to come,” Celestia said. Cadence walked and sat next to her aunt and looked at the stained glass.

“I am afraid that you are not alright, please cheer up auntie...,” Cadence said with a smile. “You remind me of my mom after my dad passed away.” Celestia cleared her throat and smiled as brightly as she could.

“Don’t worry Cadence, I’m just not used to Luna… being away. I love my sister, and I was blind not to notice how sad she was. I’m a terrible older sister,” Celestia admitted. Cadence hugged her aunt.

“Please do not think of yourself as a terrible pony, you were kind enough to let me stay with you. Luna is strong, and she will not stay on the moon. She will fight her way back here and she will come back,” Cadence smiled. “She can always change, change for the better. Please do not fret, your subjects need you.” Celestia hugged Cadence back. They embraced for a while as Celestia sobbed on Cadence’s shoulder.

Author's Note: