• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 415 Views, 0 Comments

A Sky of Light - Starlight_Flight



The question is asked, What is dreamwalking? Princess Luna explains with an ongoing series of tales regarding magic, dreaming, and her role in ponies' lives.

  • ...
 0
 415

The Rise of Hidden Spring

The Rise of Hidden Spring

It was approaching morning, and the sun would be raised soon. We had come almost to the ending of the night's final Court, known as the Nightmare Court, for in my time, ponies who could not sleep would come to me then to seek counsel and the means to resolve that which troubled them so. I was curious, for the Nightmare Court is not oft attended now; indeed, most ponies who are up before dawn are preparing for the labor of farming and other business matters, and those who arrive early often await the Dawn Court where their legal matters are to be settled, so that the day's business can be gotten on with.

My herald stepped forth from the doors to the throne room, and announced, "Your Royal Highness, a seeker has come to you from Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Her name is Hidden Spring."

You must understand that unlike my sister's herald, who announces loudly and with a stamping of her hoof, so as to be heard over a loud gathering, my herald speaks gently but exceptionally clearly, allowing her to command attention as only a herald may, without shouting loudly enough to disturb the sleep of others within the castle. So that is why I speak gently when I say her words, rather than with volume and force.

My response was just as traditional as the announcement. "Let Hidden Spring be brought to Us, that We may learn of her inquiry and aid in her seeking."

You may think this formal talk is just empty tradition, with little meaning nor purpose in the modern world, but there is a bit of code hidden within the words we use. A seeker is someone with a philosophical or esoteric question, somepony seeking wisdom, rather than simple knowledge or a resolution of conflict. If my herald (whose name is, in fact, Gentle Voice) said that a professor had come, one might presume that a question of science were on their heart. There are many other ways for my herald to tell me who has come, and what their business might be.

So Hidden Spring was annunciated into the throne room and made her obeisance to me. I said, "You may approach the throne," and when she did so, "Pray tell, what question do you pursue?"

Hidden Spring said, "Your Highness, Professor Lucid Pool sent me here. He said that you would know what's happening to me. Five times in the past month, I've found myself dreaming of somepony, and then within a day or so I meet them, only to find out that my dream had something to do with stuff they were having trouble with. And it seems like half the time, they dreamed of me, too! I asked what was going on, and he said to ask you about dreamwalking. So... what's dreamwalking?"

Long years of rule have enabled me to freeze my body in a perfectly natural position when startled, rather than instantly leaping for the exit. I did so now, holding still and taking one soft breath as I composed my answer. I have had few students of my own, and for a professor to send one to me indicated the rarity of the ability Hidden Spring was manifesting.

Finally, I began. "Hidden Spring, dreamwalking is an ability wherein the pony performing it may enter the dreams of others, and not only view those dreams, but participate and help shape and guide them. It is a rare talent among ponykind, one which can help others flourish strongly or wither away to nothing at all. If there is no tutor among the Professors of my sister's School, then I may need to take you under my own guidance, that you may understand your responsibilities and powers within the realm of dreams."

Hidden Springs stared at me, her jaw slowly dropping. "You? You would be my teacher? B-b-buh..." I could see the pupils of her eyes contract, and her ears start to fall. This disappointed me, of course, as I wish to be beloved rather than feared.

"If thou wish, Hidden Spring. We will not force thee."

As happens, I need not have feared. The filly gave a sudden bounce, and almost hugged me on the spot, deterred only by the Master of Arms for the Night Guard clearing his throat. "Of-of course! I just have to rearrange my schedule completely!"

With the power of rule behind me, and the more intimate mode of speech boosting me, I declared, "So it shall be! We shall speak with our secretary in order to arrange the matter to Our and thine convenience." Sitting in court sometimes brings my old speech back in this way; for after all, during that time, the throne is mine, and the traditions of court go back more than the thousand years I did not experience while imprisoned.

And so the matter was arranged, and Hidden Spring began to learn from me how to work with an ability that normally would manifest around the time a pony gains her cutie mark. As Hidden Spring already had her mark (water flowing from behind a stone), I knew that there would be some effort required to understand why this manifestation had been delayed.