• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 984 Views, 21 Comments

The Elements of Stone - Slender Dash



Ponies have been disappearing, and Twilight decides to crack the case when the Element Bearers start disappearing as well.

  • ...
4
 21
 984

The Disappearance

Twilight sat on her bed with several books littering the space on her covers. She had finished the last one - a book talking about the path of the sun, written by Celestia - twenty minutes ago, and had finished the seven-hundred page book in less than an hour. Now she sat and pondered her life, and her friends.

"Has Rarity come back from her trip to Canterlot yet?" Twilight asked herself as she thought. She sat for a moment more, then shrugged and hopped lightly out of bed. She always loved Sundays. Something about the warm sun, and the birds, and the pure feeling in the air just lifted her spirits higher than they could get on their own. She smiled wide as she floated down the steps, and snuck up behind Spike before wrapping him up in a big surprise hug.

"Twilight! I was working!" Spike scolded, but he couldn't help but giggle as Twilight picked him up in her pink aura of magic and flew him about he room. She weaved him around in figure-eights and loop-da-loops, and then flung him into the air high above her head. He would come plummeting down until she plucked him easily out of the air and carefully set him down again, and then she wished him goodbye with a smile as she walked from the library.

Twilight started down the road towards town, waving to several ponies she met. She chuckled as she noticed Rainbow Dash up in the clouds, sleeping her day away. Then she saw Pinkie Pie and was swept up in her cheery mood, and soon both of hem we bouncing down the street and buying sweet and SugarCube Corner. Twilight bid Pinkie farewell and set out to finish her list of errands.

First she went to the stationary store and picked up a package of quills, three bottles of ink, and a large roll of parchment. She placed them in her saddlebags and continued to Hay-Mart, where she picked up a new coat for the winter. She forgot that winter was still seven months away. She also made a stop at Foal-FillyCo, where she picked up some hay, clovers and grasses for dinner. She was walking home until she saw a jewelry store, and bought a gem without the ring part as a treat for Spike.

As she was walking home, the sun slowly setting, she came up with an idea. "I'll just go see if Rarity is home!" Twilight smiled at the thought of seeing her friend again after her two-week trip. It was strange, though, since Rarity had promised to be home a couple days ago. Maybe she was home, but she had just been unpacking the past few days. She always overpacks for things, and she also could be tired from her trip too. Twilight rolled the possibilities around in her head as she stepped up to Rarity's home.

Twilight stared at the Carousel Boutique for a moment before lifting her hoof and knocking on the door. The house was silent and dark, and nothing stirred as Twilight knocked again. She frowned, and furrowed her brow while walking over to a window. She squinted as she made out Rarity's kitchen in the gloom. It looked as it had before they left, with their breakfast still out on the table. They had gotten the wrong time for the train to Canterlot, her and Sweetiebelle, so they were unable to eat it. Twilight had thought that Applejack had promised to clean it up. Come to think of it, Twilight hadn't seen Applejack the last couple of days either. Not walking around or anything.

"Hello?" Twilight called, and she hearkened in vain for a response. "Hello-oo!" No reply. Twilight shrugged and gave up, and turned down the road to begin her track home. The sun was merely a sliver in the sky now, its golden light soon to be swallowed up by the horizon and leaving Ponyville in darkness. Twilight was still on her way home when the moon began to rise, coaxing the stars from their hiding places to dance in the sky. twilight craned her neck and tilted her head, awestruck and captivated by the twinkling and flickering of the night-lights playing in the sky. The moon hung full, its silver light flooding the world in beauty. Luna must have tried extra hard tonight.

Twilight came upon her doorstep, and she stopped a moment more as she searched for her favorite constellation. She soon found Orien the Hunter, with a dark tale. This stallion pony had had great power and might, and everyone knew him for his great skills. Unfortunately, he began to use his hunting prowess against his fellow ponies, so the unicorns formed together and transformed him into stars. The pegasi then lifted him up to the sky where h could hunt the stars alone for eternity.

Twilight liked Orien though. In Canterlot, when she was feeling lonely, she would look up int the sky on a dark night and find Orien there, sitting there alone. She had always smiled at him, for they were alike in the way where they had no pony but themselves. So Twilight had decided to befriend the pony, and it comforted her to still see him in Ponyville, though she had gained friends of her own.

Soon Twilight stepped inside to find Spike snoring softly, and after placing a delicate kiss on his head she tiredly walked upstairs. She discarded her saddlebags and placed them in her room, and she flopped down on her bed and promptly fell asleep.



Twilight raced on, frantically trying to escape something. She didn't know what it was, but she could tell it was bad. Really bad. She ran through fields, towns, down hills, through rivers, trying in vain to escape her assailer. Soon she raced into Canterlot palace, and she came to a stop. She panted for breath as sweat dripped down her forehead, blurring into her eyes as she stood up on wobbly feet. Her body shakes violently with exertion, and she collapsed. But she could still feel it, getting closer and closer, until finally, she opened her eyes just in time to see a wall of rock come crashing down through the castle's great walls, tumbling towards her until it finally caught up, and she was trapped under a wall of stone, never to stir again.



Twilight whipped into a sitting position, gasping for breath. Sweat was beading on her forehead and her heart pounded violently as she struggled to breathe. The feeling of being trapped still lingered from her dreams, melting into the real world as well. As her breathing slowed and her head stopped pounding, she started to think.

What was that? She'd never had a nightmare like that before. It was horrible. Twilight wiped the cold sweat from her face, and decided to simply get up and take a shower. She dried off afterwards and sank into her covers again, falling into a final, wary sleep.

Author's Note:

I don't even know the story behind Orien the Hunter, if there is one. But, that is actually what I do with the constellation ever since I moved, so I just applied it to Twilight. :)

PLEASE tell me if I make any mistakes. PLEASE. <3