• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 1,190 Views, 30 Comments

Introspection - -Hidden Identity-



Pinkie Pie wakes up to find herself in her own mind and must find a way out through the various challenges and regrets she has made for herself before she is lost forever.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,190

Green is Not a Creative Color

It was not a long walk into the cold, grey world of anger that Pinkie found the cave she desired. Grump had limited the amount of information she was willing to give the inhabitant of Joy, but what little she had mentioned of the potential obstacles to be found within the darkness of the cave. Pits, climbs, massive rooms without any end, mazes, narrow crawls, and those odd creatures who lived within the cave. Those who were born without voice and found sound through the echoes of water falling to otherwise placid pools of deep, chilly water where hostility lie dormant until the outside world fished it from its sleep. In other pits lie neglect, grudges, jealousy, and bitterness. From this cave spurred the essence of anger, hate, and all emotions that turn friends against each other. Just before her departure, Grump presented unto Pinkie a brass key that would allow her access to the cave. The pink pony took it with a smile and set out in what perhaps would be the best direction to find a cave entrance.

The cave had no name. Before Grump it had allowed hostility to fester within the pony. The cave was formed upon the birth of Pinkie, and had only grown longer and deeper with each passing year of arguments and hurt feelings. The cave had never been mapped, the expanse never truly known. Grump was the only one who dwelt above the cave within Anger, all other members of Anger's limited population hated the light, however dim it may be, and instead decided to remain within the confines of shadow. Yet when the cave was formed color was present. Color gave the cave light. Light spread throughout the caverns, crawls, halls, pits, climbs, chambers, streams, pools, and lives. Yet when the dark shades of hatred that learned their voice from the cave arrived, they drove the color back into nothingness. Grump had occasionally gone looking for them, as color was needed to understand the outside world and be able to take control of the body. According to Grump there were five colors, the most creative of colors: Red, Blue, Purple, Orange, and Yellow. Grump had informed Pinkie she knew where two of the colors lay: Orange was taken to the chest in the maze of twisty little passages, all alike. Yellow was trapped within the golden eggs in the Giant's Room. As for the rest, it was anyone's guess. This world was much like Joy, in a way. A certain amount of randomness followed the imprint of the world, causing any adventure to be wrought full of unexpected calamity and occasionally malicious trifles.

Any being who had experience in cave exploration knew that it was wise to have a minimum of three light sources, food, water, a first-aid kit, a helmet, knee-pads (when applicable) and gloves (also when applicable). Pinkie found a rusty old lamp next to the grate in the ground which led to the cave. The lamp was already lit. It had been lit for quite some time and had no intentions of going out. Pinkie, as one may have already assumed through any variety of encounter with her, may have guessed that she was not one to explore caves on a regular basis. Nevertheless, it was a challenge that sounded, on the whole, something along the lines of fun. Who knows? Maybe Grump would change too.

The cave beneath the grate ran cold and deep. It was truly a cave to be reckoned with. Equestria contains massive caves due to the presence of dragons, and beyond that the natural limestone that forms a great many of the peaks that can be found within the kingdom form deep, wet, decorated caves. Not many ponies find their blood to become "mixed with limestone", as it were, yet the interest in speleology is not lost upon the equine race. Caving ponies are considered to be an odd lot, and not often found in mass.

Pinkie Pie pushed the grate, which was unlocked, open and clasped the lamp within her mouth and descended into the dimly lit darkness of the cave. The pony soon became aware of the fact that she was, in fact, falling through the dark. The world shook and turn, the lamp twisted around, yet remained lit. She landed heavily upon the cold stone. The thin needles of light showed little save for scattered rocks, dirt, and a small cage, which was off to one side. Why not? Two exits could be devised from the current position, one straight ahead,which seemed to be no more than a small pit bordering an overhanging wall, and a small duckway passage behind her. No light shown from above, yet every so often a stray beam of light from the lamp would illuminate a precariously hanging rock. Moving carefully towards the pit, the curious pony glanced over. Somewhere far below her lay the entrance to Anger; the impressively unremarkable sky could be seen. She shrugged, used to the effect of the world shifting for her, or perhaps it was just her shifting, and turned away from the edge and continued on. As she passed the stray cage, a small voice told her to take it. That somewhere in this cave she may need it. The voice sounded strangely like Rainbow Dash. Heeding the advice of one who most likely had been in a cave before, she tipped the cage over and began to push it along in front of her. With each rock the cage moved over resounded a dull clank. Within the sound came the voices of those she sought and loved most dearly.

"Is she smiling?"

"Does she ever stop smiling?"

"Wake up, Pinkie. Please."

"Oh, darling. Come here."

"How is she?"

"Alive."

"Color." A hollow voice echoed around the cave as the dull clank ended with her entrance into a long, flat, featureless hall. "Another color."

From within the gloom came the sensation of loneliness. In this place she was abandoned. She shrunk back, frowned, stood back up and laughed.

"Yep! Color for everyone!"