• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 766 Views, 4 Comments

Loyalty - maximus25



Rainbow Dash ponders the meaning of loyalty, and what she deems is the most important loyalty of all

  • ...
2
 4
 766

Chapter One

Loyalty. The word sticks in her mind. What is loyalty? Is it standing up to insurmountable odds alongside your friends? Standing up to bullies for yourself? Maybe it’s simply doing what is asked of you no matter the price. Perhaps it’s just being there for someone.

Rainbow Dash pondered this as she flew through the skies towards Ponyville. She was the bearer of the Element of Loyalty, one of the Elements of Harmony that she and her five friends represented. Her friends... that reminded her of why she was coming into town on her day off. Pinkie Pie was throwing a Back to Ponyville party after their return from the Crystal Empire, where they had helped defeat King Sombra.

Dash slowly circled Sugarcube Corner as she came in for a landing. She touched her hooves down, flapping her wings to rid them of any excess moisture and folding them to her sides. She flipped her rainbow mane and turned to check herself for any bent or dirty feathers. Her eyes moved over her cerulean blue wings and, seeing nothing, she walked up to the front door and entered the building

The sound of music washed over her as she stepped into the main area of the shop, which normally would be bustling with customers ready to eat something sugary. Today, however, it housed only five other ponies, three of whom were gathered around the sweets table. Suddenly her vision was filled with pink as she was pulled into an almost too tight hug by Ponyville’s premiere party pony, Pinkie Pie.

“DASHIE!! I’m so glad you made it! Not that you wouldn’t make it to one of my parties, of course. I mean, duh! Rainbow Dash, the Element of Loyalty, not showing up when her best friend Pinkie Pie is throwing a party? That would never happen...” As her mind automatically started tuning out the other ponies voice, and her hooves began the all too familiar ritual of separating herself from the hug of the other mare, her thoughts turned inward. What Pinkie said was true, Rainbow would never leave her friends hanging, but a small voice inside her spoke up against the obligation to be at every party ever thrown by one of her friends. Of course she wanted to be with her friends whenever she could, but she wanted to make that decision, not have it made for her.

“Uh, I gotta go. I forgot something at home!” She did what she always did when this voice rose up. She ran out the front door and jumped into the air. After a few strong wing beats, she was soaring through the sky.

As the wind whistled through her ears, it drowned out everything but the immense feelings of joy flying always gave her. There was nothing in the world like flying through the sky, looking down and just knowing that you’re defying one of the greatest forces known to ponykind: gravity. She laughed in the face of this great enemy as it struggled to keep her on the ground. She felt so free, it was unreal even after the long hours she had spent doing such a joyous thing, flying.

She fell into a familiar pattern, looping and flipping through the air. As she came to the apex of her ascent, she snapped her wings shut, plunging downwards. The wind rushed past her as she sped up, dropping closer and closer to the harsh ground. About 25 feet above the ground, she angled herself and spread her wings wide, catching air and slowing her fall immensely. That was always her favorite part, the fall and eventual catch. When she felt she was calmed down enough, she touched back down and walked inside.

“H-hey guys, sorry about that.” She trotted over to the table and got herself some punch. As she sipped it slowly, she looked around the room. The others looked at her briefly, then turned back to continue on with their conversations.

Applejack walked over to her, “Howdy, Rainbow. So, what did you forget at home?” Her tone was conversational, but there was an undertone of worry for her friend.

“Huh? Oh, uh, I guess I didn't really forget anything at all. Just needed a quick flight, my wings were feeling a little stiff. Can’t let these babies go soft on me.” She stretched them out for emphasis and gave a quick flap.

Applejack nodded, “Right, yer wings. Anyways, I wanted to ask you something. Our southern field is a little dry this time of year, so do you think you could take some time out of your busy schedule to water them?”

Rainbow scratched the back of her head, “I guess so, but that would take away some clouds from the rest of the town.”

“Ah think my apples are a bit more important than some houses getting rained on, Dash.” Applejack said with a small smirk.

“Well, yeah, but we can’t just ignore the rest of the town for your fields, we’ve got to ensure the equal spread of weather across Equestria.”

“Alright, just making a small request. Figured it’d be no problem for Rainbow Dash, the Element of Loyalty, to do a favor for a friend but if you think the town is more important.”

“No, it’s not that! I am loyal, but you’re making me choose between my loyalty to you as a friend, and my loyalty to my job.” She closed her eyes, her voice getting low, “You have no idea how hard it is to choose...”

She opened her eyes to the darkness of pre-dawn. Laying on her back, she stared up at her ceiling, thoughts racing through her mind. The dream had seemed so real, just like it always did. “It doesn’t make any sense, we always have enough clouds to go around. Applejack would never be that pushy, either.” She brushed away the dream the same way she did every time it reared its ugly head. “So why does it keep coming back? Why can’t I just sleep in peace?”

Shaking her head, she climbed out of the cloud bed. She’d never get back to sleep now, might as well get an early start on the day. By the time she had finished breakfast and ready to head outside the dream had already been forgotten.