• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 1,197 Views, 21 Comments

And Then Fury Took Over - Slender Dash



Celestia had requested that Twilight and the Elements go on a mission to face a dangerous mission.

  • ...
4
 21
 1,197

And then Fighting Broke Out

I was shaken awake by Rainbow Dash, peering at my over the rim of the bed.

“Good, you finally awake,” she said, smirking, “We thought you had turned to stone or something.” I looked over the edge of the wooden bunk bed to see that everyone was already awake. Rarity was fussing over her hair, Fluttershy was looking at little animal carvings in the woodwork, AppleJack was organizing her things, and Pinkie was drinking some hot sauce.

I shoved myself up, shaking off the heavy lead that had settled in my limbs as I slept. I hopped out of my highest bunk, my legs buckling as I hit the ground. I stood up shakily, wondering if this is what Rainbow Dash felt like when I had woken her up yesterday.

The train soon rolled into the station, and we all filed out. Princess Cadence was waiting for us, and gave us all a quick up-to-date briefing. Then she pointed us in the right direction and was gone faster than a cheetah in a jetpack.

We walked through Canterlot, noticing everyone scrabbling around, worried, panicked expressions on their faces.

“Jeez, this thang must be big, if it makes this big a’ fuss,” AppleJack mumbled under her breath, as a group of young ponies started crying before us. Oh, if only she knew. I had a good description, and even I was scared, having never seen it. It must be massive though.

We started to climb up a steep mountain trail, and our pace slowed down as it became more narrow. We sent up Rainbow Dash to scout the trail, and she told us that other than it being narrow, there was nothing dangerous. So, I decided to make some conversation as we went.

“Girls, we need a game plan,” I waited for some suggestions, but none came. So I continued. “I think we should all stick together, in case the Elements are needed for force. I also want anyone to be in too much danger facing it alone. First we will try to reason with it. Next, bargain, and then, force. If it gets violent, then we go straight to force. Got it?” I got nods and murmurs of agreement from my friends, and we continued up the steep trail.

We were approaching the top when the reality of the situation hit me in the face. This dragon was much, much bigger than anyone’s mind could imagine. If you multiply the size of the dragon by Ponyville by one hundred, you might get about two-thirds of this thing. It took up the whole mountain valley, and Canterlot wouldn’t stand a chance.

Fluttershy burst into tears on sight. Rarity fainted dead away. AppleJack started pacing, Pinkie Pie bounced uncontrollably, and Rainbow floated with her mouth gaping open. I thought I heard her mutter, “I knew I shouldn’t of come.” Maybe that was just my thoughts put into words, though. I couldn’t be sure.

“Girls...” I started, but had to swallow a couple times to get rid of the hard lump in my throat. “Girls, let’s get this over with.”

We fumbled down the mountain, actually rolling into the Fury’s huge head. Its black eyes flew open, and the orange spikes on its spine pricked up. It’s scarlet body lifted onto its feet, making it look a whole lot larger and us look a whole lot smaller.

I took a step forward and said clearly, “Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle. You are disturbing a city nearby, and we are asking you to kindly leave.” I trembled before him, but kept my face set, trying not to let my fear slip through. I heard a deep, rolling, kind of coughing sound, and it took me moment to realize he was laughing. That’s when he spoke.

“Oh, my dear friend, Twilight Sparkle. Nice to make an acquaintance, it’s my honor. Please, I would just like to know....what would you do if I refused you generous offer?” He lifted a scaly eyebrow thing at me, and I shivered. I couldn’t bring myself to speak. Luckily, AppleJack stepped in for me.

“Then we’ll bargain with ya,” AppleJack said with bravery and determination. She had her feet planted firmly on the ground, not smiling, but not frowning.

“And then we’ll use force,” Rainbow Dash added in. I whirled around in horror and stared at her, terrified. She just looked back at me, obviously confused. What she didn’t understand was that instead of intimidating to the Fury, or at least amusing, all she had done was make him more angry than he already was, unlocking his reserves of hatred.

I started casting a spell for a forcefield, but it was too late. It seemed like it all happened it slow motion. Rainbow’s eyes widening, the Fury’s mouth opening and unleashing an unrelenting wave of fire, Rainbow’s choked screamed leaving her mouth as she struggled to turn in the air. Too soon, the fire was upon her, catching her in the inferno.

“No!” I screamed, tears blurring my eyes as my friend disappeared in the flames. I couldn’t help thinking of the flicker of doubt that had crossed her face on her doorstep. We shouldn’t have come. This was dangerous. We were just normal ponies, we couldn’t handle it all. Isn’t that Celestia’s job?

“Dashie!” Pinkie’s terrified cry cut through my thoughts as she ran over to the diminishing wall of fire, leaving a small, blue pony lying all too still in the ashes. Pinkie listened for a heartbeat, and screamed out relief when she heard one. Faint, but there. She slipped her hooves under Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy now at her side, and lifted her up.

A pained, tortured cry split the air as Rainbow’s eyes flew open, small and bloodshot. She screamed with such force, the yellow and pink ponies cradling her in their arms nearly dropped her. They set her back on the grass, and Rainbow passed out again. I galloped over and stared in dismay at my friend.

He light blue fur was criss-crossed with singeing, blistering burn marks. If she even survived, those would scare her for life. Some of the feathers on her wings were missing, but surprisingly most weren’t burnt. Her body lay limp against the valley grass, her breathing ragged, shallow, and raspy.

I whirled around to face the dragon, who had been idly twiddling his thumbs as if nothing had happened. There was no way I was bargaining with this thing now.

“Elements of Harmony, attack-”

“Twilight! Rainbow Dash can’t fight!” Rarity cut into my sentence, having cleared her mind from when she fainted. She stared at me, with a scared look that made her look very young, not that she didn’t look young already. But she looked like if she could, she would just go crying to her mom.

“Well then, we’ll have to fight ourselves!” I ran over to a trembling AppleJack, and we stared up at the beast for a moment. He knew what we were doing. And he was glad, too. Then, I teleported us both up onto his head.

“AppleJack, I need you to keep kicking his eyes,” I said quickly, “And don’t stop, no matter what.” I got my nod of submission and went off to Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, I need you to watch Rainbow Dash. And I know his sounds bad, but if you get in serious trouble leave her. She might not survive anyway.” Fluttershy gave a hardened nod and trotted back to Dash. I told Rarity to protect Fluttershy, and left them to deal with my poor burned friend.

“Pinkie! You’re my distraction. You run around, making the most noise you can. Just don’t get caught, got it?” She swallowed hard and lowered her head, then looked up with determination. Then she shot off to do her job.

“Time to work some magic,” I grunted. The dragon was already watching Pinkie through half closed eyes, thanks to AppleJack’s kicking. I dug my hooves in the ground and concentrated. I started to weave ropes out of magic, unbreakable chains. I loop them over his arms and brought his hands, trapped, together. He struggles a bit, then realizes they can’t be broken. So he wriggles them around until his hands are free.

His eyes flick up to the orange pony on his head. He gives a tiny smirk, and starts shaking his head. He starts slowly, then gets faster, making a show out of it. By the time AppleJack is thrown from his head, and plummets towards the earth, I have made a little magic barrier before she hits the ground. Unfortunately, the magic can’t stand that much force, and slows her fall only slightly. She hits the ground and lays winded, her mind dazed.

“She’ll be fine. I hope,” I think to myself. No time to think now, though. They dragon is catching up to Pinkie, whipping his tail in front of her, forcing her to abruptly turn the opposite direction, only to have the tail slam down before her again. He gets menacingly closer each time, and I know soon he will crush her.

I’m sprinting over to her, running as fast as my legs will carry me, when it happens. I feel some tears start to come up again as the tail comes crashing down, Pinkie turning slightly too late, and her back leg getting crushed under the tail. She lets out a gasp of shock which is immediately succeeded by her groan of pain.

The tail slowly lifts up, leaving Pinkie gasping in pain and terror. I run over and meet her eyes, wild and tinged with fear. I teleport her over to Fluttershy and Rarity, flashing myself over as well.

I was on defense now, protecting my friends rather than getting rid of the monster. I was tiring out quickly, though. Using this much magic takes up energy, too. I was exhausted, hardly able to stand on my feet. Fluttershy starts panicking, and I wobble over, leaving Rarity to distract him. Pinkie is asleep, snoring softly. So, what was wrong?

“Twilight, Rainbow isn’t breathing,” she said, in a very worried and scared tone. I know a healing spell. Did I have enough energy to save her? I had to try. I drowsily set my horn on Rainbow’s heart. It was so hard, just squeezing that little bit of magic out that I thought it didn’t save her when I cast the spell. I was instantly relieved when I saw her take a breath, wake up for half second, then slip into unconsciousness again, just like me.