• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 3,013 Views, 100 Comments

The Revival of a Heart - TheMessenger



One man's mistake becomes Equestria's foundation. The destruction of one world forms and bring hope to another. Can the Elements of Harmony restore the remains of a broken heart? How can you explain friendship to one who lost everything to

  • ...
9
 100
 3,013

PreviousChapters Next
The Foundations of Ruin 1

The Foundations of Ruin 1

Darkness. There was nothing but darkness. Twilight waved wildly, trying to grab hold of some sort of reference point but her hooves felt nothing. She couldn't even tell if she was standing on solid ground or in free fall.

Twilight tried illumination spell after illumination spell but light refused to be summoned. She couldn't even tell if her horn was lighting up. The Unicorn called for help but her own voice sounded far and distant to her ears.

Darkness. There was nothing but darkness.

Until there was light.

*****

Twilight opened her eyes slowly, still recovering from the sudden transition. For a moment, everything was blurry, then shapes could be made out. Shapes developed details and soon Twilight stopped squinting.

"Wh-where..."

Like trees in a forest, polished wooden shelves towered over the pony. Bounded covers sat on the shelves with runes and unrecognized symbols adorn the edges. To her left were more shelves and books. To her right were more shelves and books. Twilight turned her head. More shelves in books. She looked up and to her surprise, Twilight saw books sitting smugly on shelves cut into the ceiling. Brass ladders led up and along the ceiling, providing access to the shelves. In the center of the ceiling was a mural of a winged female Human with golden hair. With one hand the Human held a book to her bare chest and with the other she wielded a silver double-edged sword. The phrase Knowledge is Might was engraved in gold letters underneath.

Twilight was still examining the mural when a large book landed next to her with a thump. The Unicorn leaped into the air in surprise and turned her head.

A young, raven-headed Human clung to the ladder. With one hand he braced the other books back against the force of gravity and with the other he held to a brass rung for dear life. His legs were just as tightly wrapped around the ladder.

"A-are you alright?" Twilight called. "Hold on, I'll get help!"

The boy didn't respond. Instead, he untangled one of his legs and climbed a little higher. He slid his arm further along the shelf. At the end, he grasped hold of some sort of metal block or brace. He slid his arm back and the block followed, producing an audible click as it locked itself at the end of the line of books.

It's some sort of bookend realized Twilight, fascinated. She took a few mental notes for the next renovation of her own library. She could expand her collection by a significant percentage.

Her musing were interrupted as another large book slammed in front of her. Twilight frown. "Hey!" she cried. "Be more careful!"

The boy ignored her, shifting instead to a new position and loosening another tome. He let that one fall as well, forcing Twilight to leap out of the way. She couldn't decide what upset her more, the Human's rudeness, or his lack of concern for her safety and for the conditions of the books. Her priorities were rearranged and Twilight's foremost goal became educating the brat the importance of proper book care. She wrapped the most recent addition to the pile with her aura.

The book remained in place, not moving an inch. "This place must be disrupting my magic," Twilight muttered, reaching out to pick it up with her hoof.

The appendage swept right through the cover as if the book was nothing but air. Twilight gasped and backed away into the bookcase behind her. She realized this not because of a solid sturdy force pushing back against her but by literally running through the case and ending up on the other side without a scratch on either herself or the book shelves.

"Wha-how-wha?" she stuttered. Carefully, Twilight stuck her head into the shelf and looked around. Nothing but darkness. She leaned a little further and popped out on the other side.

"What's going on?" Twilight wondered out loud. She brought her hooves to her face and rubbed her checks. She felt tangible. The ground seemed solid beneath her. Was it just the shelves and the books that were untouchable? No, then how did the boy grab them in the first place? Speaking of which...

"Hey!" Twilight called to the child, who was reaching for yet another heavy book. "Can you hear or see me?"

The Unicorn flinched as the book fell through her. Beyond that, there had been no reaction from the boy.

"What's going on here?" she muttered to herself. "I remember...being attacked...and now-"

"Hey! What are you doing here!"

Twilight gasped and turned around. Another boy stood at the end, his hands on his hips. Her first thought was to run but Twilight managed to control her instincts and consider how this Human could help her. If he could see her, maybe he knew what was going on.

Twilight was about to speak out but she noticed that the blond child's eyes were not on her but on the other Human who had been startled by the newcomer's shout and lost his grip. He now hung by his ankles and dangled above Twilight's head.

"Oh nuts, are you okay?"

"Just peachy," the black-haired boy grumbled in response to the blond one's inquiry. He groaned as he reached and tried pulling himself up. He failed and let his arms fall back down.

"Here, let me help," the other boy said. He walked through Twilight and stepped over the mess of books on the floor and stopped right below the black-haired boy. The blond one found the ladder the black-haired boy hung on and grabbed hold of the bottom end.

"Wait, what are you-"

The rest of the boy's question was cut off by his screams as the blond boy began to shake the ladder. Twilight gasped as the boy's ankles lost their grip and sent him plummeting to the group. Forgetting that she had no apparent influence on this world, she tried slowing his descent with magic.

The boy saved himself by grabbing hold of the ladder while there a few feet still remained between him and a messy end with the library floor. He groaned and gasped as his arm threatened to tear itself out of it's socket. Gritting his teeth, he slowly climbed down and made his way back to solid ground.

"What were you thinking?" he screamed at the newcomer. "You could have killed me!"

"Nuh uh. I would have totally caught you," the other child declared confidently. "That was my plan in the first place but since that move you did was pretty cool, I let you ruining my plan slide."

The raven-head glared at the blonde. Rotating his arm back into place and massaging it roughly, he knelt down and picked up the books he had thrown to the ground.

"So what are you doing here anyways?" the blond boy wondered. "This part of the library's restricted."

The black-haired boy frowned. Setting the books back down, he produced a slip of paper from his pocket and handed it to his interrogator.

"Oh wow. You're the new apprentice of the Archmage? Are all these magic books?"

The boy, his arms again laden with tomes, nodded.

"That's so cool! I bet you're awesome at magic already then."

"Well..."

"I'm Ramth, by the way," the blond boy said, extending his hand.

Twilight blinked. "Wait...Ramth?"

The other child simply looked the outstretched hand, though whether this was due to rudeness or to the volume of books limiting his use of his arms Twilight could not be certain. "Ashley," he said tersely before turning around and walking off.

Ramth followed Ashley through the library, much to Ashley's apparent displeasure. Unbeknownst to either, Twilight followed both. How she was able to stand and walk on the ground but unable to touch the bookshelves, books, and the Humans remained a mystery but Twilight was far more interested in this new development. She had difficult splitting her attention between the younger Ash with the unusual coloring of his mane, or rather, hair and Ramth, especially since her only knowledge of the boy was from Ash's story.

"Ashley huh? Isn't that a girl's name?"

"What of it?" Ash demanded through clenched teeth. "I was named after my mother and it's a name I carry proudly."

"Oh. Hey, no need to get all defensive. Or are you still mad I almost dropped you on your head?" He speed up to match Ash's steps. "Hey, I'm sorry you feel that way," Ramth said quickly. "I mean, it wasn't like you were in any real danger but..."

Ash rolled his eyes at the sad attempt of an apology. He kept silent, opting instead to take larger strides. The other boy obviously failed to take a hint, chattering along next to the Mage apprentice. It reminded Twilight a bit of Pinkie Pie. The sight of Ash struggling to keep his stoic expression and remain indifferent brought a sad smile to the Unicorn's lips as she recalled her first day in Ponyville.

They had left the large room and into a massive hallway. Tapestries hung on the walls, depicting the story of an armored Human. In the nearest one the Human held a sword over a slain dragon. Twilight frown at such a display and celebration of violence and her thoughts went to her little assistant...

"What do you want?"

Ash's cold, almost hostile, inquiry startled Twilight, draw her attention from her own thoughts to the boys' exchange. Ash's coldness didn't seem to distress young Ramth. The cheerful blond boy grinned and produced a green candy cane from his pocket. "Want some?" he offered.

Ash raised an eyebrow, visibly surprised by the boy's gesture. With some difficulty, he shifted the books up to Ramth's eye level. "My hands are kind of full," he said. Before he could turn around, a sweet peppermint stick was shoved into his mouth.

"You worry about some of the funniest things," Ramth said with a laugh. "Hey, come on," he said, grabbing hold of Ash's arm, pulling him along.

"H-hey," he tried protesting. "I've got errands!"

"And I've got classes!" Ramth answered cheerfully. "Come on, I wanna see some magic!"

*****

Twilight followed closely behind the two boys. Ash continued to protest wildly but his struggles against Ramth's grip were futile. As they left for the outside, Twilight got the opportunity to see the castle they were in.

It was majestic, though not in the same way the palace in Canterlot was. While the sight of the mountainside spires filled her with security and confidence the same way the presence of Celestia did, this castle reminded her of her big brother: strong, dependable, impenetrable. Stone turrets jutted from the walls like spears threatening to pierce the skies, with one in the center of it all towering over the rest. It wasn't just a castle; it was a fortress. While Canterlot castle was a symbol of safety and home, this was a representation of power and strength.

Twilight felt something pull her further away from the bastion. She found herself at the edge of a forest, despite not having, to her knowledge, moved in this direction. Ash and Ramth were beside her.

"Isn't it awesome?"

Ash and Twilight followed Ramth's finger up into the tree they were standing under. A rope ladder led up to a large wooden house supported by the oak's mighty branches. It was an exquisite structure, with windows adorn with purple curtains and walls polished to shine and decorated with carving of frolicking...ponies? Twilight squinted hard. Yes, they were ponies, though some of the most twisted depictions of ponies she had ever seen and she still had a few of Spike's old claw-paintings stored somewhere.

Five towers stabbed through the top, four on the corners, one in the center. After a second look-over, Twilight realized it was a miniature replica of the mighty fortress they were in moments prior.

Twilight had to admit, it was definitely impressive. Ash simply lowered his gaze and shrugged.

"It's something, I guess."

Twilight glared at the Mage apprentice. It was difficult seeing the Human she knew as this rude, callous, conceited brat. Was it possible they were the same person? Twilight shook her head disapprovingly and wished she could interact with this world. Once more, she was denied a perfectly good lecturing opportunity.

Ramth however seemed unmoved by Ash's unfriendliness. He continued smiling maintained his cheerful composure despite the rebuffing of his amiable gestures. Under Ramth's grin and next to his friendly nature, Ash shuffled uncomfortably.

He sighed. "Alright, it's pretty cool," he admitted, his cold persona crumbling. Ramth's grin widened broadly as Ash set his books in the grass and sat down. "So why did you take me here?"

Ramth shrugged. "I dunno. I saw another kid and thought about all the fun we could have." His brilliant smile faded slightly. "For such a large castle, there aren't too many kids around."

"You haven't look hard enough then," Ash said. "Plenty of servant kids our age, though they're poor company." He shook his head. "I haven't got time to play. I'm the Archmage's apprentice," he announced proudly. "I've got to study hard and...study hard." He got up, brushed grass off his trousers, and collected his books. "Thanks for the candy," he said, turning to go.

"Wait, hold on."

Ash paused and turned around. "Hmm?"

"So you really are the Archmage's apprentice?"

"Yeah." He frowned. "Why, don't believe me?"

"Nah, I was just hoping to see some magic." Ramth shrugged and leaned against the tree. "I mean, you do know magic, right? You're the Archmage's apprentice after all."

"Well...I mean yeah, of course."

Twilight and Ramth both raised their eyebrows incredulously as Ash struggled to maintain a mask of confidence.

"It's just...I don't have a wand or any...spell books! Yeah, can't do any magic without spell!"

Twilight brought her hoof to her face at the pitiful excuse. It might have been convincing, she decided, if there hadn't been a large collection of tomes in his hands.

Evidently, this was not lost by Ramth. "What about those?" he asked, pointing toward Ash's arms.

"Oh, right...um."

"Hey, no pressure," Ramth said, throwing his hands up. "If you can't do any magic-"

"Who said I couldn't?" Ash demanded fiercely. He dropped all but one book to the ground and snapped that one open.

"Noooo," Twilight groan. "Don't be stupid Ash."

Ramth's smile grew wider as Ash unwittingly ignored Twilight's advice. He wandered next to the apprentice Mage. "Which one are you going to do?" he asked, peering over Ash's shoulder.

"Quiet," Ash snapped. "I need to concentrate."

"No, you need to stop being thickheaded..." Twilight muttered, bracing herself for whatever blotched spell Ash was about to do. Hopefully, nothing would actually happen and the only damage would be done to Ash's personal pride. The Unicorn chided herself mentally for wishing for her friend's failure but she'd rather see his feelings hurt than actual lasting wounds caused by an uncontrolled spell.

Besides, a little humility wouldn't hurt and the arrogance of this younger version of Ash was getting on her nerves.

The pages of Ash's book ruffled and moved in a breeze as the young boy slowly raised his free hand. Ramth and Twilight watched intently as a faint glow was emitted by the text and the wind grew stronger.

The wind died down. The pages stopped moving on their own. The fiery gleam reflecting in Ash's eye disappeared. Twilight released the breath she was holding.

"Um...did anything hap-"

Ramth was cut off by a sudden burst of fire that rocketed forth from the pages and into the skies. The flames crackled in the air, swaying and reforming itself in shapes and figures. The bursts and pops reminded Twilight of, well, of fireworks really but the shapes the flames twisted themselves in were similar to cloud figures the local Pegasi would occasionally create much to the delight of fillies and colts. Snakes and birds and even a pair of dancers locked in a frantic tango decorated the skies.

Her jaw dropped in awe as the flames separated and formed a giant, serpent-like dragon of scales glowing like embers and a large monstrous eagle with fiery feathers. Each time it flapped, sparks showered dangerously down. The dragon roared and flames spewed from its mouth to consume the bird. The raptor beat the torrent away and dived at the snake, which released another breath of fire.

"This...is...so..." Ramth breathed.

"Dangerous?" Twilight suggested, keeping her eyes on the heated battle above. "Irresponsible? Foalish?"

"...cool!" the boy squealed. "How are you controlling them?" he asked, turning to the Mage apprentice, who promptly shut his gaping mouth.

"I...have no idea," Ash admitted softly, slowly shaking his head. He dropped his arms to his sides, letting the book fall to the ground.

At the light thud the tome made as it landed in the grass the mighty blazing behemoths paused mid-clash, talons still outstretched and maw opened wide. The beasts turned their heads in unison towards their audience below them. Their eyes grew bright red like burning coals at the sight of the two young Humans. At least, Twilight hoped that the animated conflagration couldn't see her.

"Uh oh," three voices spoke simultaneously as the inferno began to descend.

*****

Author's Note:

I almost made a 20% joke. Almost...

PreviousChapters Next