• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 3,013 Views, 100 Comments

The Revival of a Heart - TheMessenger



One man's mistake becomes Equestria's foundation. The destruction of one world forms and bring hope to another. Can the Elements of Harmony restore the remains of a broken heart? How can you explain friendship to one who lost everything to

  • ...
9
 100
 3,013

PreviousChapters Next
Neverfree 1

Never Free 1

Four ponies stood at the edge of the Everfree Forest. The pink, blue, and orange of their coats clashed against the dark cover of the trees. The grey one's mane was like a white stain on a black canvas.

Even Ash was apprehensive about journeying into these woods. The fact that the plants grew, the animals took care for themselves, and the clouds moved all on their hadn't really curdled his blood but even with all his experience, the Mage was more than a little worried about the creatures within. Ash recalled his scry through the the forest on his first day conscious and vividly remembered the hostility those who dwelled under these crooked trees seemed to secrete. The manticore he had encountered was only the tip of the iceberg. There were others, he knew, and that was enough to set him on edge.

And then there was the last time he had ventured into a dark, dangerous forest, which had ended in a severe case of arachnophobia and an urge to set every tree within the near vicinity on fire.

"So the apothecary lives here?" Ash asked. He shivered as the cool wind brushed his cheek, as if mocking him, daring the Mage to step into the forest.

"No, Zecora lives here," Pinkie said. Of the four, Pinkie Pie had been been both the least and the most enthusiastic about their little trip. When Ash had inquired of a source for a decent sedation, Pinkie immediately piped in and nominated Zecora. When he had asked for her location, however, the pink pony became reluctant to speak. Rather, as she approached the name of the location, Pinkie grew quieter and quieter. Ash had to ask her to repeat herself twice and he barely heard her whisper 'Everfree' the third time around.

Now, however, Pinkie was as lively and bubbly as ever. For her sake, and his own, Ash assured Pinkie that she had no obligation to help him find Zecora; Twilight had given him written directions after all. He also needed ponies to stay behind and care for Twilight. The pink party pony would have none of it. "How else are you going to giggle at the ghosties?" she had asked. Ash had no answer.

Along the way to the entrance of the dreaded forest, the mare told Ash about how they had first gotten to know Zecora. Ash zoned her out after she began to sing about evil dances and stews. At least she was bouncing again. For some reason, Ash found the sight of Pinkie Pie walking rather disturbing.

His two other companions were quiet. Neither had spoken much, to him or to each other. The silence was appreciated as it gave the Mage the opportunity to be alone with his own thoughts. On the other hand, Ash was getting tired of hearing his own inner voice and Pinkie's physical voice.

Similarly, Ash both enjoyed the company of his companions and yet wished he was alone. Going alone was dangerous but at least he was the only one in danger. Traveling in a large number help reduce Ash's anxiety but now he had to consider the safety of three other ponies plus his own.

"And Zecora's the apothecary?" he directed at Applejack.

"Nah, she's a zebra."

The orange farmpony had been the second volunteer, next to Twilight, whom Ash would not permit. She had also been one of the more vocal ponies in trying to dissuade Ash from stepping forth into the Everfree. She considered the stallion one of the most thick-headed ponies she had ever known and made sure Ash knew. Still, thick-headed or not, Ash was also considered family, just as Applejack saw Rainbow Dash or Twilight or Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie or even Rarity as family. And Applejack was not one to let her family enter danger alone.

Strangely, Rainbow had been more reluctant. Her fear of the Everfree Forest was understandable but Rainbow Dash wasn't the kind of pony who let terror get the best of her. Ultimately, the Pegasus' pride would overcome her fear and yet another factor held her back, something that held her in place whenever she looked at Ash and opened her mouth and announce her participation, like being stabbed in the hoof into the ground. It was this strange stabbing feeling that had kept Rainbow so reserved at the moment and it was only after Pinkie, Ash, and Applejack had gone some distance from the library did the Pegasus leap into action, screaming "Wait!" as she sped across Ponyville in a blur.

Ash sighed. "And Zecora is the pony that'll make a sedation, right?"

"Zebra." Pinkie corrected.

"Is she?" the Unicorn asked more forcibly.

"A zebra? Yeah, I just told you that."

"...And she lives in the Everfree Forest?"

Pinkie groaned. "Yeah, I already told you that." She spun around and stared at the Unicorn. "You know, I'm beginning to think you're not paying attention to me."

"What? No."

"Then you ought to know how I got my Cutie Mark," Pinkie said, her eyes narrowing. "I just told you after all."

Applejack and Rainbow let out a laugh at the sight of the grey stallion being stared down by Pinkie Pie, made all the funnier as Ash was about a head taller than the pink pony.

The laughter was a welcoming change in atmosphere, even if he had been the butt of the joke.

"Of course I was paying attention. I just want to make sure I was hearing correctly, that's all."

Pinkie rubbed her upper lip as she considered Ash's excuse. A lone drop of sweat rolled down the Unicorn's check, his body betraying his panic. Applejack and Rainbow grew louder, snickers becoming full chuckles.

Pinkie backed away. "Alright, you're off the hook, for now."

Ash shook his head and turned his attention back to the forest. "I need to say it: no one needs to come with me. If-"

"Sugarcube, we ain't the kinds of ponies tah let 'nother go intah danger alone, 'specially not a friend. Right RD?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, of course not." The cyan Pegasus leaped into the air and swiped at the direction of the Everfree Forest. "No forest'll get the best of the greatest Pegasus ever."

Ash shook his head. Something was bothering Rainbow, he could tell, but there were more pressing matters at hand. Hopefully whatever was causing her grief would disappear. The forest and all its unseen dangers would provide a distraction at least.

"Guess there's no point in arguing with you two," he said. "Pinkie? You want out?"

"I dunno, what's in?"

Ash bit back a groan. Instead, he turned back the forest. "Alright ladies. Let's do this."

He gingerly took a step into the cool shade of the large, foreboding oaks, half expecting the earth to open up and swallow him whole.

Nothing happened. Despite how silly felt, Ash could not hold back a sigh of relief. He opened the saddle bags draped over his back and pulled out the directions Twilight had Spike write.

He handed the parchment to Applejack and walked behind Rainbow. "You two lead," he said grudgingly.

"T'sat's tha matter?" the farm mare asked, puzzled.

"Geez, you're not that scared, are you?" asked Rainbow, sounding both concerned and teasing.

"...I can't read."

*****

Twilight sat in the center of the room. A book was set before her but her attention was elsewhere.

Ash had insisted that Twilight stayed at the library, though she of all ponies knew her way to Zecora's the best, having had close contact and several visits to the zebra. Yet, as Ash and the rest of her friends argued, Twilight was in no condition to be in such an environment. She had had her Human body for only about a week and while she could walk just fine, anything faster would give her an intimate encounter with the ground. And based on her own experiences, running was more often than not the default motion of the Everfree.

Yes, Ash was right, logic and reasoning insisted. Right now she was a liability, more likely to cause harm than good. It was better for everypony if Twilight Sparkle stayed behind while her friends went out and endangered themselves for her sake.

Had she been a less cool-headed pony, Twilight would have ignore logic and reasoning. A pony like Rainbow Dash wouldn't have let such things shackle her down, a trait that both astonished and impressed Twilight. But she was not Rainbow Dash. Rainbow had been a brave pony, true to her element, and joined Ash on his quest.

No, Twilight had been burdened by the weight of common sense and it acted as a solid wall between her and an exciting adventure outside. The Unicorn -turned Human was surprised by how envious she felt.

She sighed as she set her eyes back onto the tome in front of her. It was the spell book that had arguably caused all this trouble.

"Focus, Twilight," she said to herself. "The least you can do is figure out this spell and make it easier for Ash to cast."

Using an index finger, Twilight underlined the oneirological monitorization/astro-self injection spell. On the corresponding page was the Human spell Ash had presented written on a piece of parchment.

"If Ash is right, and it looks like he is, the format of Unicorn magic must be really similar to Human magic. This should be a breeze."

Twilight fumbled with her quill as she tried to dip it into her inkwell. She glared in annoyance at her hand as it shook, dripping ink onto the table.

She considered calling Spike over for help but remembered how tired he looked after she asked him to transfer Ash's spell onto paper. Instead, Twilight grabbed her wrist with her other hand and slowly began to write.

Just as she finished the first sloppily scribbled rune, Twilight heard a soft thud behind her, followed shortly after by a quiet gasp.

"Twilight," Fluttershy said, her voice almost trembling with concern and disapproval, "you should be resting right now."

"It's just a little studying," responded Twilight, setting her pencil down and moving over to Fluttershy to help with the large bag of groceries the Pegasus had dropped. "That never hurt anypony."

"But you're not feeling well," Fluttershy reminded. "I think...well, none of us want you getting hurt. I was so scared when you fainted I fell over myself."

"I appreciate the concern, Fluttershy. I really do, But I have to do something. I can't just sit around and let everypony do all this for me." Twilight shook her head, her eyes shining defiantly. "I've got to do something too. Someway, I can also help."

Fluttershy nodded sympathetically. "You don't want to feel useless, like you can't do anything without your friends' help. That's fine." The butter-yellow Pegasus gentle but surprisingly firmly grabbed the bag of supplies out of Twilight's arms. "But having to rely on your friends isn't a bad thing. That's what friends are for, after all. Even when everything seems hopeless, when you feel weak and helpless, your friends are there. And you'll be there for them, when they feel weak and helpless, won't you?"

"Of course I will," Twilight answered, just the slight bit offended that Fluttershy even had to ask.

"Sorry," the Pegasus apologized with a blush. "But just like each of us can rely on you, you should be able to rely on us too. Remember Applejack that one apple-bucking season?"

"How could I forget?" Twilight said, giggling. "Applejack caused so much trouble just because her pride wouldn't let her accept any help...Oh." Realization dawned over her. "I can see what you're saying," Twilight acceded, growing embarrassed. "I guess I forgot myself in my own pride. Still, I wish there was something I could do to help, to make all this easier for everypony else."

"Rest," Fluttershy said. "The best way to get over any sickness is plenty of bed rest. I'm sure that also applies to mental illness too. Or at least I think...um...I think you should ask Ash about that since he probably knows about this best...'

"I guess that makes sense. If your body's ill, you shouldn't be running around playing sports. If your mind's not feeling well, I suppose you shouldn't be doing a lot of...thinking." The notion of an empty mind was almost sickening to Twilight.

Fluttershy however didn't notice. "Yes, that sounds right. The best way for you to help is to not think. Or at least, don't think too hard. That is, if you don't really mind..."

The suggestion was most unpleasant to Twilight's ears and she had half the mind to say yes, she really did mind.

Still, the logic was sound and Twilight found herself grudgingly nodding in agreement.

"That's wonderful," Fluttershy exclaimed as loudly as she dared. She shut Twilight's book and placed it back on the shelf, not noticing her friend cringe as the perfect organization system of the library became undone by a single misplaced text. "I'll start making a salad. When Rarity comes back we can have a small lunch. Oh, I hope Applejack, Ash, Pinkie, and Rainbow packed enough food..." Fluttershy trailed off as she carried the groceries to the kitchen.

Twilight resisted for a full five seconds before getting up and removing the spell book from its incorrect home. All she had planned to do was put it back in its proper place but the temptation to study was great. The book seemed to call her name, begging her to crack it open and expose its wondrous insides.

A few minutes won't hurt Twilight thought, opening the book. Just a few seconds...

"Still studying? Tsk, is that all you're gonna do today?"

Twilight lifted her head, startled. The voice was not Fluttershy's. It was too masculine, too assertive.

Nor was the library she was in her's. It was too large, more linear, unlike the circular form of the tree library.

Nor was the annoyed grunt that came out of her mouth her's.

"Aww, c'mon Ashley, don't be like that."

Twilight grit her teeth. "Don't call me that, Prince Ramthelore the Fourth."

The boy in front of her shrugged. He was tall, blond, with skin that could have either been rough or fair or somehow both. His blue eyes were almost as bright as his smile. "Don't care. Nothing wrong with my name," he said with a chuckle.

Twilight sighed as she flipped the page. "Did you come here to bother me? Or do you have some sort of purpose?"

"Geez, what's the matter with you? Just wanted to hang out."

"Go 'hang out' with one of the baron or duke's boys or something."

"Those guys are just a bunch of stuck up boring prats. You and Dorian are the only guys around here worth being around."

Another grunt was all the boy received.

"All right then, let's see." The boy sat in front of Twilight. He scratched his cheek as he thought. "Are you mad 'cause made fun of your dress?"

"It's a robe and no."

"Are you mad because I took the last cheese roll and you got spinach?"

"No."

"Are you mad 'cause I ate the cakes Sister Madilene sent you?"

"She sent me cakes?"

"You didn't miss anything. They were as dry as her sermons. Still, if you didn't know about it before that's not why your upset. Hmm, I'm stumped." The boy shrugged. "Give me a clue."

Twilight sighed again. "Think yesterday evening."

"Yesterday evening, yesterday evening...the only thing that happened yesterday night was that fight with the Darwine brothers. Is that why you're so upset?"

Twilight didn't answer.

"Hey, I saved you from those two. If anything, you should be grateful I was nearby."

"If that's what you think..." Twilight shut her book and pick it and herself up and began to walk away.

"Hold on."

Twilight glared at the boy who grabbed her arm. He took a deep breath.

"Look, I'm sorry. We cool?"

"...you don't mean it, do you?"

The boy threw his hands in the air. "Of course not. I have no idea why stopping those two from curb-stomping your ass would make you bitter. I knew you wanted the stuffing kicked out of you, you could of just asked me."

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"...I'm joking. The point is I have no idea why you're so upset and it's somehow my fault and now I'm upset. And you know what happens when a prince get's upset? Heads roll."

Twilight was silent for a moment. "I could have taken them."

The boy scoffed. "No you couldn't."

Once more Twilight glared at the tall youth. "How would you know?"

"There were two of them, both twice your size. Maybe one of them but both brothers?" The boy shook his head.

"You could have let me try."

"Come on, is this what you're so mad about? Because your ego got a little bruised because I help? Come on. that's stupid." The boy's tone grew serious. "I'm your friend and that means I'll watch your back, from both jerks and your own ego. What kind of friend would I be if I let you get beat to death? And I'd hope you'd do the same for me."

Twilight was silent once more before smiling. "You're right, Ramth. It was a silly thing to get angry over."

"Great! Now we've wasted enough time. There's a batch of cakes in the kitchen with our name on it."

"Sarah Darwine was watching, you know."

"Wait, you mean their drop-dead-gorgeous sister? Man, that justifies everything now..."

"Twilight? Are you alright?"1

Twilight blinked. She was back in her own library. Fluttershy stood at the threshold between the kitchen and the main library.

"I...I think I'm going to go lay down."

PreviousChapters Next